frame sliders

agentadam

Registered
So whats the best thing out in the way of direct bolt on ,no cutting, frame sliders for the IIgen. I would also like axle/swingarm sliders but don't know what that entails and eventually the roll cage thing. So what are my options?

I realize they will just snap off if your doing over 15mph.

I will also get one of the slider engine case covers but what else needs protection besides a crankcase chain guard. It seems like when these bikes lay down EVERYTHING takes a lick.

Will consider. Just dont have it right now. Just ordered the RS3 slip ons, Factory sport-touring windshield, and Chrome Kanji decals. Not to mention a 9.8hp Mercury and yz250 from my neighbor.

These are my t-rex sliders. No cut but look pretty hefty. Glad to report I have no idea if they work or not!

Slider Detail.jpg

heard these take huge damage on the radiator when u go down, that they arent really that useful...any one care to comment, iam in the market for them...ofcoase the real deal are the best, but hate to put a hole saw to my brandy new bike.....info on these and other no cuts would be much appreciated

Im thinking about running the Trex and the ones that replace the middle bolt on the side fairing.

Is there an external roll frame kit yet?

mine did the trick quite nicely i had put the t-rexes on (took an hour or so not rushing) not a week later i tipped over leaving a driveway...was super weird. saved me a TON of damage. light pod took a minor scuff (rear) tiny little crack and minor scratches from the rocks on the fairing (still havent repaired, bike is still super presentable) and scuffs on the mirror. i'd say they paid for themselves many times over already. ill get pix up soon.

Guys, I'm installing my cut sliders this weekend. If any of you are in doubt, I would suggest checking back after I do the install. I'm going to document the entire thing so you can see how much trouble, or how easy it was.

For durability and protection, cut sliders are the way to go. And if you can manage to get your hands on some edging or grommets, you can make it look factory installed.

I have heard that cut sliders are always the best and I'm sure that's true. But I don't think any slider is going to help you in a road drop. I think racers would say that sliders sticking out from the frame like that can catch and flip the bike causing more damage. Those guys see the plastic as disposable and are looking for a way to survive the crash to race again that day. They would say hidden sliders that are under the fairing panels are best.

The T-Rex no-cuts attach to the engine mount and then have an additional rod that runs through the engine bay to connect to the other slider. This should prevent the slider from collapsing as easily as many other no cut units. Everything is also very hefty.

It's anyone's guess if they will work on the specific drop you have (god forbid). Personally having looked at this issue for quite awhile, I would be inclined to agree that cut sliders are probably tougher. On the other hand, the no-cuts go on very easy and offer reasonable protection from minor spills.

Your call from there :confused2:

As Vonderbach stated, the best instal is on the upper engine mount.

If you are looking for the best outcome from a serious crash keep the frame slider short with only about a half inch protruding past the fairing. Any more than that and you are likely to create more damage than they are worth.

I learned the hard way that long frame sliders tend to dig into the dirt when the bike leaves the pavement and causes the bike to flip and continue to tumble causing extensive damage. The trick is to keep the bike on it's side throughout the crash. Fairings are cheap if you can keep it on one side. When she tumbles does damage all the way around, tank, gauges, fairing stay, clipons and the list goes on and on.

Vortex sells a stubby slider that protrudes just past the fairing. I use these on the race bikes as well as street bikes. I have repaired my fair share of crashed bikes and I can say with athority, these are the best for serious crashes. The longer sliders are great for slow parking lot or driveway spills but not so good for speed.

Cut the side make sure you get sliders that bolt directly to the frame. I read plenty that those are the only ones that work the best. And it makes sense. Do a search and you will find a few threds on this topic. I cut and bolted mine on to the frame. If I remember correctly I think I got LockHart Phillips.

Back