My review after 950 miles on my first busa

For those of you saying a dirt bike isn't a fair comparison, it's clear you haven't ridden anything with a big bore. My CR500 is much scarier and difficult to control compared to the 'busa. Our busas are incredibly powerful, yes. But it's easily manageable. I rode dirt for awhile, stepped up to a CB550, put a couple thousand miles on that, and then bought my 02. After about 2000 miles on it, I'm at the same point as the original poster... a little more power won't hurt.

Face it, there are other more comfortable bikes to ride. We ride what we do because it's fast, period. When the thrill wears off, might as well bring it back, by making it faster, right?

Just realize what you're riding and it'll be fine.

I will say it - It is not a fair comparison.

Like comparing a monster truck to a corvette.

Both are really great at what they are designed to do, but they do not do the same thing.

For example - You do not see a Hayabusa on the dirt track, and you do not see a dirt bike at the drag strip.

ALL MOTORCYCLES ARE QUICK AND FAST. Their is a difference between these two.

It is that some of the motorcycles are much quicker and much faster.

You don't see alot of Hayabusa's doing a steering correction doing 80-90 MPH on a dirt track. And when is the last time you ever seen a dirt bike do a steering correction at 120 MPH.

This is two completely different set of skills. They are both great skills, bu none the less they are different.

How many times have you practice letting the rear wheel touch down first on a dirt bike. When is the last time you had both wheels of the Hayabusa of the ground other than for servicing.

No one is saying that the dirt bikes are not fast or quick, no one is saying that it does not take skill and experience to ride a dirt bike.

But once again, you don't ride the Busa on the dirt track and you don't take a dirt bike to the drag strip.

Happy to hear that you are lovin the new 'Busa! Just be careful when you do decide to go the turbo route.

Take your time, learn the bike, when you think you have, you'll find there's so much more.

Hell I don't know about not having enough power. The kind of two lane roads where there are now coppers get real scary real quick when I twist that throttle. Yesterday, cresting a little hill at around 8,000 RPM in 3rd the front wheel came up nice and fast. Maybe I'm just a FOG.

About the dirt bike comparison earlier, that's crazy. My Husky is made 90% for the dirt it gets boring real fast on paved road. The Busa is 100% street two totally different things.

Yeah, after reading this thread I went for a putt this past Saturday afternoon on some of the less traveled roads west of me. Hit a little rise at the top of 4th and up comes the front tire to at least 10 o'clock. Tap the shift button into 5th and it sets down nice and easy around 150. So I'm thinking "yeah, I need a turbo". NOT! Just can't see it on the street!

sounds like you just wanna go fast in a straight line and thats cool man, slap a Nos set up on there,stretch and slam it and take it right to the track and run 1/4 mi's. just dont do it on the street please,I have a wife and 6 kids that I like seeing everyday

For those of you saying a dirt bike isn't a fair comparison, it's clear you haven't ridden anything with a big bore. My CR500 is much scarier and difficult to control compared to the 'busa. Our busas are incredibly powerful, yes. But it's easily manageable. I rode dirt for awhile, stepped up to a CB550, put a couple thousand miles on that, and then bought my 02. After about 2000 miles on it, I'm at the same point as the original poster... a little more power won't hurt.

Face it, there are other more comfortable bikes to ride. We ride what we do because it's fast, period. When the thrill wears off, might as well bring it back, by making it faster, right?

Just realize what you're riding and it'll be fine.

Those who realize how difficult motocross riding can be know where I am coming from like this guy /\/\/\ For those who say riding a dirt bike does not compare to riding a 200 hp motorcycle have not ridden Big bore dirt bikes and raced them. I promise you it takes a whole heck of a lot more skill taking a dirt bike around a motocross course than it does going very fast in straight line and dragging knee around a corner.

sounds like you just wanna go fast in a straight line and thats cool man, slap a Nos set up on there,stretch and slam it and take it right to the track and run 1/4 mi's. just dont do it on the street please,I have a wife and 6 kids that I like seeing everyday

Yes... because the only reason why I am riding out there is to go kamikaze and take out as many people as I can....

Yes... because the only reason why I am riding out there is to go kamikaze and take out as many people as I can....

yea, I also didn't plan on having a lady pull out in front of me and slamming into the side of a pick up truck, but hey man, most things are out of your control. I put the bike into her fender, she surely would have died if i had hit the cab. I'm only 21, a few years younger than you, and I drag race quite a bit (at a track). I get the thrill factor and i understand the appeal, but i'm telling you, get your ass off the streets. you're not safe, and your macho boy attitude will get put in place the first time a guy on a ss 600 out trees, out 60fts, out 330's your 1340 lol. it'll humble you very quickly. If you such a mo-bad rider, take it to a track and prove it. Win a trophy and run some AMA events. Until then, you're just a cocky kid with a bench racers attitude. I'm Not here to stroke your ego. Hop on psychobike and say the things you're saying, that's a different kind of crowd that will respond differently. I think you'd lose a chunk of change being that cocky in those circles hahaha.

You guys are so gullible!

Sucked in by a 7 foot trol!

Did you notice he does not know how tall he is, just nearly 7 feet? :laugh:

900 miles of puttin around on the streets and the Evil Beast doesn't have enough power although he has never opened it up in first? F*(kin hilarious! :rofl: Not him, he's a trol, it's you guys that are so easily played that's funny as hell! :cheerleader:

Question to every single person in this thread that claims "You are going to die, you're too cocky, you're too overconfident, you're too young, blah blah blah (insert new insult here)"

....If all of this is true about me then why did I not kill myself the moment I left the dealership on the motorcycle? Or how come I have not died by driving horribly irresponsibly within 50 miles of riding the bike? I mean really, I simply want to go faster and everybody fires back practically saying I the most dangerous rider out out there.

yea, I also didn't plan on having a lady pull out in front of me and slamming into the side of a pick up truck, but hey man, most things are out of your control. I put the bike into her fender, she surely would have died if i had hit the cab. I'm only 21, a few years younger than you, and I drag race quite a bit (at a track). I get the thrill factor and i understand the appeal, but i'm telling you, get your ass off the streets. you're not safe, and your macho boy attitude will get put in place the first time a guy on a ss 600 out trees, out 60fts, out 330's your 1340 lol. it'll humble you very quickly. If you such a mo-bad rider, take it to a track and prove it. Win a trophy and run some AMA events. Until then, you're just a cocky kid with a bench racers attitude. I'm Not here to stroke your ego. Hop on psychobike and say the things you're saying, that's a different kind of crowd that will respond differently. I think you'd lose a chunk of change being that cocky in those circles hahaha.

You think I care whether someone out there is faster than me? I don't, there will always be someone faster, better, etc. I have better things to do than learn how to cut better 1/4 mile times in my life.

Last edited:
I think your problem is that you haven't had your first bad wreck yet. Once that over confidence turns into a bad case of "woops I just busted my ass and totaled my bike" you will come off that quick.

Over confidence will get you hurt if not killed. You own the fastest street legal motorcycle in the world, if we are talking straight from the show room. Like the others said, if you truly have a deathwish of some sort, then go find a ballistic rocket to strap your ass on.

This thread is why we have so many motorcycle accidents. Noobs that think they have a "handle" on the power. You don't have a handle on anything, trust me.
Well said sir!! You saved me from having to type a similar response!!

:pityfool:

you clearly need this more than anyone here:
tape_measure.jpg

Well that is what you will be putting a turbo on your Busa unless you take it to a track...you will be a 200+mph missle on roads full of cages with women and children and ME!! you have yet to mention you want it for track purposes, so one can only assume after all your posts thats not even a thought for you.900miles isnt sh!t kid,learn the bike first,learn how to control it...and not just in a straight line,because sometimes our straight lines get detoured real fast.

Those who realize how difficult motocross riding can be know where I am coming from like this guy /\/\/\ For those who say riding a dirt bike does not compare to riding a 200 hp motorcycle have not ridden Big bore dirt bikes and raced them. I promise you it takes a whole heck of a lot more skill taking a dirt bike around a motocross course than it does going very fast in straight line and dragging knee around a corner.

No one is saying that it does not take skill to race a dirt bike, no one is saying that it is easy at all - Every one is saying that the skill on the dirt bike and the skill on the Busa is a different kind of skill.

Example: You make a turn on the dirt bike - you stick your foot out and give it a little throttle and bounce your foot off the ground - straighten up and keep going.

You make a turn on the Busa - you tuck in tight and let your knee ride on the pavement (with pucks), your foot never leave the peg.

You are insinuating that because you can handle the Big Bore dirt bikes you can handle the Busa the same way. This is not true. The skill levels to handle either one of the bikes you are talking about are both equal, but they are two completely different kinds of skill.

Ask everyone on this forum, This many people cannot be wrong and they will not steer you wrong.

The skill levels to handle either one of the bikes you are talking about are both equal, but they are two completely different kinds of skill.

I agree with you. But riding both it seems like it takes easier skill with the street/track bike, as opposed to the dirt course. Just my opinion though

I never NEVER thought I would say this... but I have already gotten used to the power... This is my first Jap bike, a 2009 hayabusa, with full Yoshi R-77 and power commander....and I already want more.... I mean really?!?!? Don't get me wrong, I still haven't given her full throttle in first gear because the bike refuses to stay down and not wheelie, but I fly through the rest of the gears no problem... time to go turbo?

One other thing, I know a lot of you do clutchless shifting....how do you do that without damaging the motor??

Let us know when you bump the Rev limiter in 1st Gear and let us know again when you bump the Rev limiter in 5th Gear.

Back