Looking at this trailer...need your input!

redeye93

Registered
Well I am in the market for a 6x12 hauler for the Busa and saw this one at a local shop here in town. I have been researching as much as I can to learn about trailers. They range from $1,800 to $5,000! I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need. I did a search here and found a post from 2005 on the subject, but I don't know if much has changed in the technology in the last 5 years.

Here's what I would like...

-Ability to hold 2 maybe 3 bikes. Is that possible in a 6x12 v-nose? I'm thinking one chock in the nose and two behind them in staggered. Would that work? If 2 is all it could hold, that would be fine too.

-Black with mag wheels to go with my truck.

-I'll use it 4 or 5 times a year, maybe more.

Here are pics of the one I looked at today. It's all aluminum made by a company called Forest River which is supposedly one of the biggest companies doing these trailers (according to the sales guy). It's their Lightning line. I got the 15" mag wheel option as the only option. He's willing to do it for $3,500 otd. Is this a good price? He said the all aluminum ones are usually almost double the price. Do I need an aluminum one? He explained the aluminum ones won't rust and are lighter. Lighter sounds like better gas mileage to me. Is that true? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

EDIT: Here are the specs on their trailers I found on the website...
Flat Top Cargo Standard Features

* All Aluminum Frame
* Spring Axle w/ EZ Lube Hubs
* (1) 12V Dome Light w/ Switch
* Double Rear Doors (Single 58SA)
* All Powder-Coated Door Hardware
* Aluminum Cambar
* Bonded .030 Metal w/ Screwed Seam
* Tongue Jack
* 3/4" One Side Painted Plywood Floor
* .024 Bonded Seamless Aluminum Roof
* 32" Aluminum Frame Side Access Door
* Aluminum Stoneguard
* Roof Vent

IMG00016-20100329-1204.jpg

IMG00017-20100329-1205.jpg

IMG00018-20100329-1205.jpg

IMG00019-20100329-1206.jpg

Last edited:
nice looking trailer. I did a TON of research as well, here's my 2c worth :)

Single axle vs dual. Single is good for lighter weight, so 1 or 2 bikes in there probably just fine. Dual will be better for 3 bikes (which I hear fit in a 7x12 better) and will track better down the road. Either way make sure you get one with brakes if you plan on hauling much weight. Also make sure of the axle's weight load restriction (1200/1500/3500/more)

Aluminum is great! Steel is a bit heavier but depending on application could be stronger. You say its going to be a bike trailer, you'll find it will get used for pretty much everything I suspect :laugh:

Color and trim options are fairly cheap from what I found and on steel trailers at least, they get you thicker walls (very slightly thicker ... 0.006" :whistle:)

The better question becomes what are you hauling it with, as that will ultimately be your limitation. If you have a full size tow vehicle that can haul a little bigger, you might want to consider it if you can find/afford one. 6x12 is a fairly standard size but will seem small once you start loading it up.

From a pricing standpoint, for comparison I got this 7x16 Vnose for about $3600 as it sits from a place down in GA :cool:

153631d1249846073-7x16-vnose-finally-bought-one-img015.jpg

Appreciate the info! Keep it coming! I will be towing with my Denali. I only have my Busa and figured it would be cool to hold another bike for a buddy if needed. I would also maybe use it to haul speakers for mobile dj'ing maybe hehe :whistle:. Your trailer is lookin good! Just might be too big for me hehe! I dont' know if I need it that big :thumbsup:

Appreciate the info! Keep it coming! I will be towing with my Denali. I only have my Busa and figured it would be cool to hold another bike for a buddy if needed. I would also maybe use it to haul speakers for mobile dj'ing maybe hehe :whistle:. Your trailer is lookin good! Just might be too big for me hehe! I dont' know if I need it that big :thumbsup:

Thanks :thumbsup: its a monster and its full with 4 bikes for the bash... :laugh: I plan to convert it to a two bike setup with some living space in the front for longer trips :beerchug:

I guess the jist of it is shop the price you got, I'd suggest a 7x14 dual axle, you'll be able to definitely haul 3 bikes of various types and haul most anything. Also if you do use it for DJ stuff, the dual axle will be more sturdy while parked, particularly if you have it detached from the denail :thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be easier with a ramp door in the rear? Hauling ramps is a pain.

The pics above have ramp doors unless I am missing something...???

NM read the list of spec above it stated Double Rear door but the pics show a ramp door... lol

Last edited:
6X12 = 2 BIKES. The ramp door is the way to go. Our old trailer had double doors so we had to carry a ramp.

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

Picture 152.jpg

How is the 12' measured? Is it to the tip of the v-nose? You will need 14' to haul 3 bikes.

My trailer is a 6' x 12', but it has a 2' v-nose so the interior, to the tip of the v-nose, is 14'. I can get 2 bikes in the back and one up front. I also have a toolbox mounted and a few other things...

Mine is a single axle and I pull it with a V6 Toyota Tacoma and a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee...both pull it just fine.

The pics above have ramp doors unless I am missing something...???

NM read the list of spec above it stated Double Rear door but the pics show a ramp door... lol

Yes, I read the specs and didn't look at the pictures. Just the opposite of when I read Hustler..............

You better not get that, it looks like a piece of junk. BTW, where wa it at, I better go take it off his hands so you dont have to deal with junk. :poke::laugh: Just kidding. Looks very nice. As stated by others, it would depend on your needs, if just for one bike, perfect, for two bikes getting cramped by the time you add all your junk. Up to you man, very nice looking trailer though.

Well I am in the market for a 6x12 hauler for the Busa and saw this one at a local shop here in town. I have been researching as much as I can to learn about trailers. They range from $1,800 to $5,000! I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need. I did a search here and found a post from 2005 on the subject, but I don't know if much has changed in the technology in the last 5 years.

Here's what I would like...

-Ability to hold 2 maybe 3 bikes. Is that possible in a 6x12 v-nose? I'm thinking one chock in the nose and two behind them in staggered. Would that work? If 2 is all it could hold, that would be fine too.

-Black with mag wheels to go with my truck.

-I'll use it 4 or 5 times a year, maybe more.

Here are pics of the one I looked at today. It's all aluminum made by a company called Forest River which is supposedly one of the biggest companies doing these trailers (according to the sales guy). It's their Lightning line. I got the 15" mag wheel option as the only option. He's willing to do it for $3,500 otd. Is this a good price? He said the all aluminum ones are usually almost double the price. Do I need an aluminum one? He explained the aluminum ones won't rust and are lighter. Lighter sounds like better gas mileage to me. Is that true? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

EDIT: Here are the specs on their trailers I found on the website...
Flat Top Cargo Standard Features

* All Aluminum Frame
* Spring Axle w/ EZ Lube Hubs
* (1) 12V Dome Light w/ Switch
* Double Rear Doors (Single 58SA)
* All Powder-Coated Door Hardware
* Aluminum Cambar
* Bonded .030 Metal w/ Screwed Seam
* Tongue Jack
* 3/4" One Side Painted Plywood Floor
* .024 Bonded Seamless Aluminum Roof
* 32" Aluminum Frame Side Access Door
* Aluminum Stoneguard
* Roof Vent

nice looking trailer. I did a TON of research as well, here's my 2c worth :)

Single axle vs dual. Single is good for lighter weight, so 1 or 2 bikes in there probably just fine. Dual will be better for 3 bikes (which I hear fit in a 7x12 better) and will track better down the road. Either way make sure you get one with brakes if you plan on hauling much weight. Also make sure of the axle's weight load restriction (1200/1500/3500/more)

Aluminum is great! Steel is a bit heavier but depending on application could be stronger. You say its going to be a bike trailer, you'll find it will get used for pretty much everything I suspect :laugh:

Color and trim options are fairly cheap from what I found and on steel trailers at least, they get you thicker walls (very slightly thicker ... 0.006" :whistle:)

The better question becomes what are you hauling it with, as that will ultimately be your limitation. If you have a full size tow vehicle that can haul a little bigger, you might want to consider it if you can find/afford one. 6x12 is a fairly standard size but will seem small once you start loading it up.

From a pricing standpoint, for comparison I got this 7x16 Vnose for about $3600 as it sits from a place down in GA :cool:

153631d1249846073-7x16-vnose-finally-bought-one-img015.jpg

Now thats riding in style:whistle:

Back