Crosstraining for personal improvement

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Under the banner of "crosstraining" I post under "General Bike Related"....actually cause this is my favorite catagory to hang out in!

I just posted the below pics on the long distance bicycle forum and therefore had to post em for my homies on the org!
This morning I introduced the "Bob" trailer to my bicycle for the first time (attached them and took a short uphill test ride). I was amazed how, even up a 5% grade, I could barely feel the trailer back there, and believe me, it's FULLY loaded (including a serious "personal protection" device). On this 800 mile journey we'll be sleeping in places like the "Extraterestial Highway" near area 51 so I wanted to be two things.....comfortable and safe!
For those of you whom are bicyclists, my complete bicycle (without water) is 20.3 lbs. and complete trailer (without water) with cargo is only 40.7 lbs., about 20 lbs. UNDER what I anticipated so I'm thrilled. Also, my weight has gone from 260 to 214 lbs. so I'm ready! Doyle

P1030435.JPG

P1030436.JPG

P1030437.JPG

P1030439.JPG

P1030440.JPG

Last edited:
I like it! I would like to do something like this one day. Good luck and I wish your a safe journey. :beerchug:

Lookin' good Doyle.:thumbsup:
With your inspiration, hopefully I can make my return to the clip-ons soon.
Now, if the weather would just cooperate a little...

"Bob's" are so much nicer than all those panniers!
Not quite biking weather up here in the gtreat White North, but I'm looking forward to getting out on my Centurion Le Mans steed for some Century rides this summer.

Have a great trip...I'm envious!

A 20lbs bike? WOW! that is amazing, I dont know much about Pedal power, but 20lbs is incredible.
Alot of conditioning and great equipment, should be a great trip for ya:thumbsup:

"Bob's" are so much nicer than all those panniers!
Not quite biking weather up here in the gtreat White North, but I'm looking forward to getting out on my Centurion Le Mans steed for some Century rides this summer.

Have a great trip...I'm envious!

You are so right! I've been apprehensive for weeks, not knowing what to expect with this Bob......this morning, in my first 25 feet, I knew it was the right choice. I accelerated through the gears, did a bunch of tight zig zags, and couldn't even feel the thing back there! Doyle

How tall are you Ray? Just wondering as that frame looks a little small for you.

As an FYI Fastfrog, pro level race bikes now run around 14 lbs which is really incredible. Carbon fibre is all the rage in bicycles just as it is in motorcycle accessories.....beautiful to look at and light to the touch!:thumbsup:

How tall are you Ray? Just wondering as that frame looks a little small for you.

As an FYI Fastfrog, pro level race bikes now run around 14 lbs which is really incredible. Carbon fibre is all the rage in bicycles just as it is in motorcycle accessories.....beautiful to look at and light to the touch!:thumbsup:

Im not allowed to hear about anything CF, Ill just wanna buy em:whistle:

I'm 5'11" barefooted, it fits pretty good (had the ergos dialed in by a guru bike guy).
Re: carbon fiber, it does not make a good touring frame but great for forks (which I have). It just does not perform well for heavy loads and trailers. Like motorcycles, there are SO MANY subcatagories of bicycling, even a difference between long distance riders and tourers! I kinda think I'm both but still learning the distinctions. Doyle

I'm 5'11" barefooted, it fits pretty good (had the ergos dialed in by a guru bike guy).
Re: carbon fiber, it does not make a good touring frame but great for forks (which I have). It just does not perform well for heavy loads and trailers. Like motorcycles, there are SO MANY subcatagories of bicycling, even a difference between long distance riders and tourers! I kinda think I'm both but still learning the distinctions. Doyle

I hear ya. I've been a roadie for over 30 years but my long distances rides come with a sag wagon and transport vehicles so no panniers or trailers for me! I just took up downhilling last year and have been a xcountry rider since the days before suspension forks. Road riding is still my first love though.:thumbsup:

Looking good Doyle! :thumbsup:
I really hope to meet up again at the Stampede.:beerchug:
That is a sweet set-up you have there, I need to get back on the smaller saddle again too
Bubba

That is awesome Mr. Doyle; what an inspiration!!! I have a GIANT road bike myself that I am looking to start taking out again. Right now I have an indoor trainer that lets me get my cardio on and I also attend the athletic club. I was at the bike shop a few weeks ago and saw this bike that weighs 13.5lbs and cost $16,000; it actually belongs to the GM of the store!

IMG_0077 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

IMG_0078 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

IMG_0168 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

I'm so pleased to see that Busa folks are into bicycles, when riding hard, it's not readily apparent but there are serious cross training bennys to be had....not just cardio either! BTW, I always switch out my bicycles front brake lever to the RIGHT SIDE, that's where years of my "brain training" lies! Doyle

Back