One armed paper hanger in a wind storm

2hip

Registered
That is what my day was like...I have next four days at the hospital so had to get'er done...Started by driving over to Lakeport to pick up the new spray primer w catalyst. Here is something funny...Did you know that Airplane stripper (paint remover) is not to be used on aircraft...says so right on the can...amusing.

Stripped tank..3 liberal applications, fume protection, kitchen gloves...don't use the hospital type gloves...don't ask how I know:whistle: sanded with orbital and 320 grit..light pressure..then hand sanded, hot water and soap, and Kleeno...I was going to stop here and then I started thinking about oxidation of a steel naked tank...anyone out there have any experience they would share about how long does it really take till a naked tank starts to rust? When I read the product insert from the company for the primer it stated clearly that the tank needs to be painted immediately after cleaning...yikes...Called my buddy Chuck and he gave me final instructions about spraying and went to eat dinner...My wife could tell I was off in outer space...:whistle:

Only problem was it was a new Sata Minijet4 and I have never used a sprayer...I was quivering with excitement to get started and as nervous as all get out. I can tell you a good gun like a Sata makes idiots like me passable for a primer painter...Used only 10 psi at the nozzle...primer literature said use 6-10. With Chuck's gun he was using 30 something psi but he was spraying the base coats...But the pro who sold it to me told me these little minijets have very little overspray...use much less volume and lays the paint on so soft. I had no clue..

Check out the pics...Working the next 4 days so won't be painting till next week...

bike tank refinish 03-18-10 002.jpg

bike tank refinish 03-18-10 004.jpg

bike tank refinish 03-18-10 005.jpg

bike tank refinish 03-18-10 007.jpg

bike tank refinish 03-18-10 008.jpg

Have you ever been in a movie ?
I can't quite remember where it was I think I saw you ???

Primer looks good .
I'm praying for you this time !
:thumbsup:

The primer coat looks pretty good to me for your first time with the sprayer. Hope the paint coat comes out as well too :)

I guess since your a biker you could be the Michelin man and pull that tire out of your belly that I can see ?

Back