interceptor history & the NR750

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
While I was a bikeweek in the honda display, I snapped a couple pics of their
interceptors (I owned a V45 Magna '83 so I've always been kinda partial to the V-4)
If anyone is interested...

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

Of course it's always gratifying to realize after all the demos...
the best bike I rode (yet again) all day...was the last one, the one I ride home on

:bowdown: Selene at the party :bowdown:

IMG_1731.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1990 I walked into Fun Bike Center and came within an inch of buying an RC30. The price tag was on it, but the sales dept. started screwing with the final price, just kept going up.........I walked out and bought another bike elswhere.

My first sportbike that I rode was a 1993 VFR750. I have always like the VF series of bikes until the later years... But a great share and pictures too! I sat on the new VFR1200... comfortable, but no busa!:rulez::laugh:

The V 4 accelerating technology ??? I had one an technology was the only thing that was accelerating on that bike. After owning it I wouldn't own one of those V 4 if they gave it to me for free with a bow on top, cause my hatred for the V 4's I wouldn't touch the new VFR with a 10 foot pole but it is a nice looking machine, come to think of it my old one looked nice too but it was slow an the V 4 sounded terrible.

img242.jpg

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I'm a long time Honda guy myself.. just until after the turn of the century when they became Yawn-da

Always hated the Interceptor as it was the main competition to my GS750ES at the time. It had more power for sure but the Suzuki still had quicker handling on the street. Also, never liked the sound of the V4, evidently lots of people do but I could never figure out why?

The VFR1200 just gets uglier every time I see it.

Our 86 VFR 750-f looks just like the one in the pic. It's been getting some good press w/the introduction of the new 1200. I found it a couple years ago in great shape. My sons main ride now and he's digging all the attention it gets when we are out. I told him he now has a responsibility to maintain a classic in its original glory. Quite a few articles written about how great a bike it is. One mag called it one of the ten best M/C's. I still love riding it.

I had a 98 vfr. Sounded sweet with a staintune exhaust. It did EVERYTHING very good without doing any one category (power, acceleration, cruising range, etc) great. Very good all around bike.

Also, never liked the sound of the V4, evidently lots of people do but I could never figure out why?

Couldn't agree more. It has an uninspiring, flat fart sound. I make better noises when I roll over on a Saturday morning after a dinner of franks and beans at the Fish and Game club.

I got a great deal on a V65 Saber years ago. The dealers couldn't move them so I bought one to add to the stable so I wouldn't have to take my 1100 Suzi to mountains with my girlfriend on the back. The Saber was good for cruising up the highway at 85 all day and it was OK for a sweeping two lane - but it was the most boring bike I ever owned. Also had the flat fart sound - the Supertrapp slip ons make it louder, but it sounded worse. I sold it and was happy to see it go.

Nice write up. Current MotorCyclist (I think, one of the bike mags anyways) has a similar history of the V-4, but yours is better with better pics.
I would do bodily harm to someone to own an NR750.........

My son's '85...V30 (500)

IMG_0844.jpg

It killed me he sold it a couple of months ago for around $1200...the thing
was almost museum quality. Wish I'da had the money I woulda bought it from
him.

Would love to snag a 2008+ version. I thought someone posted they dropped the
msrp down to around $8000...sigh...it's only money.

I'm with you on that NR750, that would be sweet. I'd just love a ride on one.

As far as the new one goes, it's dripping with quality. The pictures don't do the
paint justice. The black stripe on the tank looks liquid. I read somewhere it's
uses a multi-dip deep process that surpasses the paint quality and process of
the honda automotives (which ain't no slouch). The metal flake red is impressive
as well.

Saw a few articles in "motorcyclst"...one compairing the new VFR to a busa
and a BMW 1300...I think they missed it...The Hayabusa is not the competition
imho for the vfr..

The VFR is a 565lb machine vs 485lbs for the busa
142 hp vs 170hp for the busa
81ft lbs of torque vs 105 for the busa
10.23 quarter mile vs 9.3 for the busa (the magazine stated the busa 1/4 mile
time at 10.14....I've NEVER seen a gen II 1/4 mile in the 10s...that's grandma
driving)
Top speed limited to 160mph vs the flux capacitor on the busa
$15,999 vs the deal you can get on a Gen II (I paid $11,000 otd for my Gen I in '06)
I would bet you might have a time getting the dealer to budge much on the VFR
off of MSRP.

They would have done better to put the bags on the thing and cpmpair it to the
Concours. THAT'S it's main competition. Concours however has the zx-14 motor
with heated grips, adjustable windscreen, traction/abs control, and bags
all as standard. (bags are extra, lots extra...on the VFR)

The new VFR is a nice bike with tons of quality but you pay for every pound
and at the end of the day...to me anyway, the most important thing about
a MOTORcycle is...the MOTOR. If it doesn't have the motor, everything else is
moot. Granted the VFR motor is capable but, you get a much stronger motor
in the busa for a LOT less. If the price would have been on par, I can see the
clutchless version as an alternative for newer riders.

Of course a DEMO ride would have been invaulable and added great insight to
my opinion, you can only tell so much from a sign and a bike on a stand.
But...honda's not smart enough to do that anymore.

Last edited:
Man that NR750 is the sex.
Shazaam !

Wonder what that thing is worth at auction ?

Great pics thanks for sharing them...:beerchug:

Our 86 VFR 750-f looks just like the one in the pic. It's been getting some good press w/the introduction of the new 1200. I found it a couple years ago in great shape. My sons main ride now and he's digging all the attention it gets when we are out. I told him he now has a responsibility to maintain a classic in its original glory. Quite a few articles written about how great a bike it is. One mag called it one of the ten best M/C's. I still love riding it.

+1 my first bike was also an 86 VFR 750, loved the patriotic red, white, and blue. I wish I would've never sold it. That bike was mint and I let it go for a steal when I got in a pinch. I always received lots of compliments on it, beautiful machine. :beerchug:

A lot of folks don't like the VFR series, but I love them. They are unique in their own way. I had an Interceptor 500, and would love to have the whole series in a collection (maybe after I win the lottery). They were state of the art in their time.

Always hated the Interceptor as it was the main competition to my GS750ES at the time. It had more power for sure but the Suzuki still had quicker handling on the street. Also, never liked the sound of the V4, evidently lots of people do but I could never figure out why?

The VFR1200 just gets uglier every time I see it.
While I didn't hate the original Interceptor by any stretch, the Suzuki was a better bike all around. I loved my 1985 GS700E, bought new off the floor for a steal in '86 with the new GSXR coming out and the 900 Ninja already on the street. I still miss my GS and wish I had never sold it.

As for the new VFR1200, I agree a 100% on the looks. Hate the price too. Dollar for dollar, the Busa has to have that beat. Actually, at any price the Busa has it beat.

Back