smoked turn signal lenses

I finished them. Not to take away from the small bit of drama, as prviously mentioned, but I used the jdm spray and took the front and rear lenses apart. The fronts were fairly simple and came apart easy with some heat from a hair dryer. The rears were a bit tougher and I almost damaged them trying to seperate them. I wouldn't recommend it, but once I had committed it was too late. Anyway I sprayed the inside of the lenses in several coats. The insides were harder to cover due to the small tight spaces in the corners but I did the best I could with them. After letting them dry overnight, I put all of them in the oven at 250 degrees for about eight minutes. It was enough time to heat the epoxy on the fronts and allow me to push the lenses back into place. The rears had no epoxy on them, but it made the plastic housing a little more flexible. I used a 60 second two part epoxy and ran a small bead around the rear housings. Then I pushed them together and held them until it set. I had to bend the housings a little around the edges before they cooled because they were a little disfigured from prying them apart. I let all of them cool and set up good. Then I replaced them on the bike. They turned out o.k. and I am Happy with them. If I had known the rears were going to be such a pain, I may have just sprayed the outside of the lenses and hoped they held up. Just thought I'd let those of you who are thinking about this mod know how it went. here are some pics...

HPIM0517.jpg

HPIM0526.jpg

HPIM0522.jpg

HPIM0525.jpg

HPIM0529.jpg

HPIM0534.jpg

HPIM0535.jpg

HPIM0536.jpg

HPIM0538.jpg

HPIM0540.jpg

FYI: I ordered a set last Friday (3-05-10) and got both front/rear this past saturday. :) Rears were easy to install, but waiting on installing the fronts when I remove the fairings for HID, Hornblaster.com horn. Also putting all LED signals in front and rear when I remove it all. :)

SNC17746.jpg

SNC17752.jpg

SNC17795.jpg

SNC17797.jpg

FYI: I ordered a set last Friday (3-05-10) and got both front/rear this past saturday. :) Rears were easy to install, but waiting on installing the fronts when I remove the fairings for HID, Hornblaster.com horn. Also putting all LED signals in front and rear when I remove it all. :)
I'm assuming you mean you ordered/got them from ClearAlternatives?

If so...do you have the same gap I do between the outside of the lens and the cowling? And, if you did get them from CA and you don't have the gap, would you mind taking a closeup of the rear of your bike for me from directly behind?

Cheers!

Yep I got them from CA. I put them on when the bike was next to the living room wall and haven't looked from teh rear yet. I didn't notice any gap, but will look and take a few pics tonight for ya.

I have had the CA front and rear smoked lenses. No problems no gaps. I love them. I tried the Nightshade paint on my headlight. It's to dark with the headlight on. noticed at night. :whistle:

Cheers InfiniteReality...looks like yours fit perfectly on the outside, but there's a gap at the bottom of each lens.

I suspect that they have changed manufacturers between when ours were made and MadLight got his.

Oh well.

Cheers InfiniteReality...looks like yours fit perfectly on the outside, but there's a gap at the bottom of each lens.

I suspect that they have changed manufacturers between when ours were made and MadLight got his.

Oh well.

I honestly didn't notice that, lol. Oh well, it got a set of adjustable lowering links installed last night and the new triple tonight. Hopefully the height difference, no one can see it. :)

I honestly didn't notice that, lol. Oh well, it got a set of adjustable lowering links installed last night and the new triple tonight. Hopefully the height difference, no one can see it. :)
yeah, I'm kinda compulsive obsessive about that stuff...not a bad trait in a veterinarian I suppose!

Sorry I brought it to your attention, bet you see nothing but that gap when you look at them now!

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean you ordered/got them from ClearAlternatives?

If so...do you have the same gap I do between the outside of the lens and the cowling? And, if you did get them from CA and you don't have the gap, would you mind taking a closeup of the rear of your bike for me from directly behind?

Cheers!

critterdoc do you mean gaps like this? You need to grind a little off of the length and width of the tabs on the side. Use the original signals as size reference for the tabs on the CA lenses.

IMG_1003.jpg

How did you remove the front turn signals? Do you have to just take part of the dash out to remove screw from behind?

Back