How much weight can the Busa loose?

justin726

Registered
I'm kind of curious what the weight difference might be between a stock Busa and a stripped down (streetfighter) Busa.

I've always naked bikes and streetfighters especially. I'm pretty much set on stripping my bike down and turning into a streetfighter. I'm planning on swaping out the front forks for a set of lighter GSXR1000 forks, and use a set of handlebars instead of clipons. Loosing all the front fairings, and basically using just a small "flyscreen" with maybe a pair of some kind of projector beams. I already have Yosh carbon slipons, but planning on going to a single exhaust setup. Plus a few other odds and ends to clean everything up.

Anybody have any ideas on the weight difference. I know it won't be drastic, but maybe at least noticable??? Too bad I can't afford a pair of Dymag carbon fiber rims $$$.

At one point I had all the parts off. The Headlight weighs about 10 lbs, Front fairing 7lbs, side fairings 10 lbs each, front fender 4 lbs. Pair valves 4lbs, Air Box 15 lbs (geeze).

From what I've seen Suzuki did use light weight design components. Like hollowed axle, engine bolts. Without an engine on the Busa it's suprizingly light. Engine BTW weighs 190 lbs stripped. Add throttle body, oil, radiator, oil cooler it's near 250 llbs.

Is it going to look something like this?

3.jpg

Is it going to look something like this?
Oh yeah. I know what it will look like already. I have it all planned out in my head. Plus I have tons of pics saved on my computer of naked Busa's, mostly of which are from Europe where the streetfighter type of bike is a lot more popular.

Hoping to set something similar to this pic, but without the flames. I like the look of the different front fender on this one too.

rothwell_busa2.jpg

Figure away to relocate the coolant reservoir. Get the some RAM scoops. Busa screams to be run Naked
biggrin.gif

Not that crazy about the naked bikes, but it should save a good amount of weight. I prefer this woman to be dressed!
biggrin.gif

I'm kind of curious what the weight difference might be between a stock Busa and a stripped down (streetfighter) Busa.  

I've always naked bikes and streetfighters especially.  I'm pretty much set on stripping my bike down and turning into a streetfighter.  I'm planning on swaping out the front forks for a set of lighter GSXR1000 forks, and use a set of handlebars instead of clipons.  Loosing all the front fairings, and basically using just a small "flyscreen" with maybe a pair of some kind of projector beams.  I already have Yosh carbon slipons, but planning on going to a single exhaust setup.  Plus a few other odds and ends to clean everything up.

Anybody have any ideas on the weight difference.  I know it won't be drastic, but maybe at least noticable???  Too bad I can't afford a pair of Dymag carbon fiber rims $$$.
I know on my busa I took off close to 40 lbs by changing exhaust to full titanium total weight of the tit systems is 11.5lbs.

<!--EDIT|MoTrFinger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101889979 -->

she don't need to be naked to be a street fighter unless you are going for that type of look. are you planning on Grunge racing?

Word of caution..... The cooling system is prone to springing leaks (via flying objects, rocks, etc...) without fabricating something to protect it! With custom parts (one offs) a friend of mine shed close to forty pounds. Busa Wasn't naked and No carbon fiber parts. Granted the exhaust accounts for the majority of the weight lost. But, I think Bronto hit it on the head when he said Suzuki really thought this through by hollowing a lot of the components on this bike.
Here are my thoughts on Easy weight loss..
1. Install Pre 2001 Sub Frame (But Not if u ride 2 Up) Savings approx 4 lbs...
2. Shed one rotor up front.. Wave Rotor installed on Rear
3. Titanium bolts ($$$$)
4. Exhaust system swap (No brainer here)
5. Lighter bar ends (Can make the bike buzzy)
6. And of course eliminate all Non-essentials... Reflectors, Rear undertail (stock), stock blinkers, etc...
7. Must inflate your tires with Nitrogen!
smile.gif

Ok, just kidding about that last one. The main thing here is to be creative. But, and this is a big one! Use some common sense about the things you remove from your bike. Always be safety minded........

I took off fifty pounds. You can see my mods below. I have a Trac top of the triple tree to put on yet and it should save another 2 pounds. Oh, I have lots of titanium bolts all around.

The Carbon Fiber Wheels really helped. But if I was starting over, I would put the Ohlin forks and rear shock on first. Ohlins/Brembo combo seemed to save two pounds. However it seemed to lowered the center of gravity a little. While weight loss was not much, it made it really handle so much better...I can add lots of power in a turn where I would have gone down before...Can brake much harder with out doing a stoppie...and safer...Much more fun over all...

Safer fun with the weight loss and handling improvements are a plus for me. I believe anything is cheaper than a hospital bill and hurts a lot less.

Back