For those who want to cover there own seats!

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys:

I posted this first in the wrong section!

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/125758-looking-seat-cover-older-bike.html

So here I am posting it in the right section today! I was able to get the seat cover material in today, and started replacing it! Thanks Jason for posting up the place to get the seat covering material. (diyupholsterysupply.com) I got the all-sport black Vinyl. Total to my door was $32. Not bad... since I have enough left for covering 2 more seats. So here are some pictures of the start to finish. Not bad for my first time, and I learned a lot from it. The new covering made the seat feel so much better. The old one was hard and didnt provide any cushioning! I took a 30 minute ride today and man it is so much better then the old one!

P1010004 4.jpg

P1010005 4.jpg

P1010007 1.jpg

P1010008 1.jpg

P1010009 1.jpg

Here is the finished product on the bike. It would of looked better if the foam wasnt brittle in a few spots. It showed really bad at first when I covered it. I did lay another piece of vinyl under the seat cover to hide the holey foam. It helped a little, but next time I will get a very thin piece of foam to cover that area and recover it. But for now it is much better then it was!

P1010010 1.jpg

P1010011 1.jpg

P1010012 2.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010015 1.jpg

If your foam is stiff, you can use steam to bring it back to life!

Good to know! In my case the seat foam was brittle in a few spots and left small holes in it. I didnt realize how bad it showed until I covered it first. Then I took some left over vinyl and trimmed it to the affected area. It smoothed it out, but left a line of the shape and size material I used to smooth it out. But, it isnt noticed when you are riding it!

The other thing you can do, is go to Car upholstery shop, they will have whats called headliner material, witch you can get in a couple of different thicknesses.
The best to use is 1/4 inch, that way you can modify the seats shape!

Another great idea John! I will remember that when I need to repair this seat or others that have the same problem!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That did come out nice...
I like the blue frame...:thumbsup:

Did you say 'Holey Foam' ?
Is this blessed or something and designed to keep you safer ?
I have never heard of this...:laugh:

Another great idea John! I will remember that when I need to repair this seat or others that have the same problem!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I worked in the car audio industry for 20 years, i used to do upholstery work,
basically jack of all trade,, master of none!

I worked in the car audio industry for 20 years, i used to do upholstery work,
basically jack of all trade,, master of none!

I am with you on that one John! Jack of all trades and a master of none.....just younger then you! So, I dont have the experiences you have yet... old timer!:poke::laugh:

I did this on my FJ 1200 and it worked like a charm. Just bought some vinyl fabric from the fabric store and cut it.

That did come out nice...
I like the blue frame...:thumbsup:

Did you say 'Holey Foam' ?
Is this blessed or something and designed to keep you safer ?
I have never heard of this...:laugh:

Its Karen's bike and she needs all the help she can get! Now its blessed! Water got to it in a few spots and dried out the foam in more then a few spots. The other piece of vinyl helped but it shows through some. But I learned something from John and will put it to better use next time. The bike was a basket case when we got! Reason why she got it cheap.... but it took a lot of work to get it where its at now!

New chain and sprockets, handle bars, hand grips, carb float bowls gaskets, carb parts (screws and bolts), intake rubber tubes, engine seals, repair wiring to the front headlamp and turn signals, seat recovering, painted the wheels, did body work, and painted it, made spools for it, custom fitted the m4 muffler to the headers, which were rusted up, added some extra side turn signals to it, serviced the forks and cleaned them up....etc. etc.!

I did this on my FJ 1200 and it worked like a charm. Just bought some vinyl fabric from the fabric store and cut it.

JasonE sent me to the online shop and was able to order it and do what you did! World of difference! And thanks!:thumbsup:

I am with you on that one John! Jack of all trades and a master of none.....just younger then you! So, I dont have the experiences you have yet... old timer!:poke::laugh:

Ouch you young whipper snapper!:whistle::rulez:

Respect your elders! :lol:

Back