Offical GoPro Thread

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, dont care if its the HD model or not. I got one for my birthday. I have an internal rechargable battery that is supposed to last for 6 hours, and a 16meg SD card. I should be good to go. I have read all the instructions, but what software do I need to upload the video? Will Picasa or Windows Movie Maker work with it? What say you about the ins and outs of this camera? I have the resolution set at r3, if I read correctly, that will give me the best field of vision and about 4 hours of video on my card.
With the cameras being more and more common, I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to the use of the camera.

Last edited:
make sure you have the direction right.....or your video will be up side down:whistle:

make sure you have the direction right.....or your video will be up side down:whistle:

Rodney, I read that in there somewhere, and if you have to invert the camera, there is a setting to correct it. But I will be mounting it with the suction cup in the correct postion. Do I need to do anything else?

I have trouble pushing the buttons with gloves on and it in the case...maybe I shouldnt be doing it on the fly, but those are the best pics.

I have the first version and not sure if the steps are different on the HD, but learn what process is happening during which button push.....ie...1 pic....3 pics...continious pics......video...etc.

I have trouble pushing the buttons with gloves on and it in the case...maybe I shouldnt be doing it on the fly, but those are the best pics.

I have the first version and not sure if the steps are different on the HD, but learn what process is happening during which button push.....ie...1 pic....3 pics...continious pics......video...etc.

Cool, I have the default mode as video and it displays a movie camera icon on the LCD. Pretty cool. But I think I will throw the instuction book in the tank bag, just in case. :whistle:

The windscreen is too shaky for a mounting location.

I have mounted it to my lower fairing with the suction cup and it has held up to triple digits, as long as the screws are tight otherwise it folds back:laugh:

PICT0064.jpg

The windscreen is too shaky for a mounting location.

I have mounted it to my lower fairing with the suction cup and it has held up to triple digits, as long as the screws are tight otherwise it folds back:laugh:

Sweet, I cant wait to try it out! :cheerleader:

You have the HD model. The older model did not have a rechargeable battery and would only use up to a 4GB card.

Do a search on GoPro here on the .org; there are a couple good threads here recently where we have discussed the new camera.

The file format for the HD model is .mp4. The older models used .avi which was native to windows and would edit well with WMM. However, .mp4 is not native to Windows (until Windows 7) and will NOT edit with Windows Movie Maker.

I too have worked on several different methods to edit:

1. Convert the .mp4 file to a .mpeg and then edit with WMM. Advantage is that it works, and there are some free/cheap converters on the .net to do this with. Disadvantage is that resolution suffers during the conversion process. It may well be that Quicktime Pro will do it, but i haven't tried it yet.

2. Find something that will edit, and use it other than WMM. I have purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements, which will edit the .mp4, BUT you have to also download and install some codec packs (which was a pain in the tail and required help from Adobe tech support in order to install and work). Problem is that a 16mb raw video file (or even half that) completely seems to stop up my machine (and it should be powerful enough).

My goal is to find something that will EASILY edit the original .mp4 in high quality and work on my WinXP machine.

GoPro Support has not yet been very helpful in getting to where you can edit. Go check out skydivingopro.com to read more about file formats (I've been meaning to email this guy but haven't had time yet to see what he's editing with).

Also, go to Youtube and look up my account (tnskydivr) and you will find some regular gopro edits with WMM, and a couple of attempts with the HD model. Until the weather gets better I don't have much HD footage to work with.

You can't embed the videos here (yet) but I highly recommend hosting them on Vimeo.com instead of youtube. If you use any kind of background music youtube will block it. There are also major size restrictions. I've had no problems with vimeo.

So, admins, any chance of adding the code for Vimeo? I've seen it on other boards hoping it can happen here.

Ok, I seriously need some free editing software. Picasa will let me upload and cut, but I cant add music or touch up. I have two videos uploading to youtube now. I will post them up when they are are finished. I just took this pic.

GOPR0006.JPG

I have windows XP and want to get one of these cams.
How easy is it to handle the videos compared to like a sony handicam ?
You turn it on , record , come back and upload to your computer ?
Same as handicam or is it more involved than this ?
I have WMM. Will they not work ?
Skydivr I think you figured out to use Apple quicktime instead ?

I want to get a VERY SOLID high pole style mount maybe for it that looks ahead.
I cruise thru the Keys but many of the overpasses have concrete guardrails.
If I had one that sat a foot or so higher than my head but was still steady I could do some great
blue water keys cruisin and you could see the ocean over me in backround.
Does anyone make a high pole mount ?

Last edited:
OK guys, two of raw footage. I had to cut it down to get it under Youtubes 100mb rule. Let me know what you think. I got a small power wheelie in 3rd at 2:57 coming off a small rise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second one, at least the suction cup mount stays solid up to triple digits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have windows XP and want to get one of these cams.
How easy is it to handle the videos compared to like a sony handicam ?
You turn it on , record , come back and upload to your computer ?
Same as handicam or is it more involved than this ?
I have WMM. Will they not work ?
Skydivr I think you figured out to use Apple quicktime instead ?

I want to get a VERY SOLID high pole style mount maybe for it that looks ahead.
I cruise thru the Keys but many of the overpasses have concrete guardrails.
If I had one that sat a foot or so higher than my head but was still steady I could do some great
blue water keys cruisin and you could see the ocean over me in backround.
Does anyone make a high pole mount ?

Blanca, I have XP on my desktop and Windows 7 on my netbook. I used Picasa to cut the video and upload because Movie Maker does not allow mp4 formats. I also used my netbook, Windows Live Movie Maker and uploaded, but Youtube said it did not recoginze the format, it was a .wimp file, what is that? I was really plug and play with both computers, pretty neat and easy to do. I just need better editing software.

You can't embed the videos here (yet) but I highly recommend hosting them on Vimeo.com instead of youtube. If you use any kind of background music youtube will block it. There are also major size restrictions. I've had no problems with vimeo.

So, admins, any chance of adding the code for Vimeo? I've seen it on other boards hoping it can happen here.

I wonder if vimeo will be blocked at work. ???

Edit: No vimeo is not blocked, but youtube is.

Back