GPR vs Ohlins pros and cons ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I am going to buy one in the next few days and am curious what your opinions are comparing the two .

Obvious pro for the GPR is you can adjust it on the fly or to say easier than the Ohlins
Obvious pro for the Ohlins is it is a direct replacement and stays out of the way

Obvious con for the GPR is it takes up some space in triple tree area and is a little large looking in my opinion
Don't know obvious con for Ohlins ?

Cost wise they are about the same I believe .

This is just my thinking and I thank folks like Scar who have already pushed me toward one but I wonder who has one or the other and can comment. I asked about GPR a few weeks back but now would like to hear your pros and cons between the two .

If say set to max on both you then turn bars is either feel different , stiffer , smoother, more stable ?

I would like to know about the ohlins as well.

Can a gpr be used with aftermarket triple tree or top clamps?
Posted via Mobile Device

I would like to know about the ohlins as well.

Can a gpr be used with aftermarket triple tree or top clamps?
Posted via Mobile Device

My GPR is mounted on an aftermarket top clamp. I don't think it would be a bolt on for most aftermarket trees, however.

gps1.jpg

If memory is right, dont most of the kawi's have Ohlins on them? I know they came out with a new system last year and a lot of people liked them from what i've read. I would shoot over to zx-10r.net and ask a few guys there. Just a thought.

Ohlins was bought out by Scotts a few years ago (?)...So, I am trying to understand if you are talking an aftermarket Ohlin cylinder that you would mount where the oem dampner resides...or if you are talking a Scott, similar in looks and design to the GPR, that would mound between the tank and the triple tree...anyone on the .ORG will tell you the oem strut is almost worthless in design...Having a Scott or GPR dampner is a critical piece of track gear...very helpfull being able to adjust the dampner with your left hand on the fly so to speak...can even adjust it on different types of corners coming up. Really reduces chatter in the frame and head when acclerating and deceleration...It is amazing how much energy they absorb with just a few clicks...Don't know much about the difference between the two competitors prices, product differences...but I am sure others here can advise..I have a Scott on my race bike and will be placing a Scott on my Hayabusa 08 this month as I wrap up the paint and mods...2hip

I am going to buy one in the next few days and am curious what your opinions are comparing the two .

Obvious pro for the GPR is you can adjust it on the fly or to say easier than the Ohlins
Obvious pro for the Ohlins is it is a direct replacement and stays out of the way

Obvious con for the GPR is it takes up some space in triple tree area and is a little large looking in my opinion
Don't know obvious con for Ohlins ?

Cost wise they are about the same I believe .

This is just my thinking and I thank folks like Scar who have already pushed me toward one but I wonder who has one or the other and can comment. I asked about GPR a few weeks back but now would like to hear your pros and cons between the two .

If say set to max on both you then turn bars is either feel different , stiffer , smoother, more stable ?

Let me know if we can help you with that. We carry both.

We do send out a lot of GPR's, actually packaging one up right now. :laugh:

-Tim

I am using an ohlins at the original stock position.
Its abit more troublesome in adjusting,just got to twist the handle bar fully to the right.Difficult to remove for servicing.
But at least its not obvious compared to the top mount which can be a eye candy for thieves.It can be a safety hazard too depending on how you look at it.

But if to choose between those 2 top mounts i would go with scotts.:thumbsup:

I am comparing top mounts to a Ohlins that would replace oem.
Will all of them regardless of numbers of clicks or adjustments 'feel'
the same as the bars move or are turned ?
Does one standout in certain areas more than others like straight line speeds or cornering ?

I thought the GPR was the bomb as far as top mounts go these days why say you Scotts ?

Today while riding fourth to fifth I passed over a little rise and TT style the front wheel lifted and cocked a bit to the right . She came down and tracked straight but next time maybe won't . I would like something that I can stiffen to where if the wheel does skip or lift at speed the chance of a death wobble can be eliminated as much as possible .

Personally I like the styling of a Scotts better..It isn't quite as large and I just think the design look of it is cleaner...that is just me. Scotts used to be Ohlins but Scotts bought out the dampner. To answer your question about feel...on my 750 Suzuki race bike when the Scotts dial is turned to maximum dial setting it takes alot of arm strength to move the handle bars from full left to full right...Once you use one of these you'll never go back to riding a bike at speed without one...they really do settle a bike down...2hip

As KML points out...and I think we are sayin the same thing...(to double shifts in a row has me a little befuddled)...Ohlins used to own the design for the dampner...but Scott bought out the right to manufacture Ohlins design...Ohlin does not own Scotts...but Scotts owns the right to manufacture the Ohlin design..okay...is that as clear as mud yet?:rofl:2hip

so 2hip the effort you speak of regarding the Scotts do you think an Ohlins will need same effort or feel as stiif ?
Are the dial types able to be stiffer than the standard types or vice versa ?

A rod type damper is by design more efficient and effective than a rotary damper. Both GPR and Scotts rotary dampers work on the same principle. I'm not sure about GPR but the Scotts damper has an adjustment on the sweep which is an added advantage.

We had a group by on the Ohlins damper some time back. $260 for the replacment damper and mounting kit for the Gen II. If the OP or any of you decide on the Ohlins, I'll call Dan @ Kyle Racing and see if that deal is still available. Drop me a PM!

Someone mentioned the Ohlin's damper on the ZX10. The OEM Ohlin's damper on the ZX10 is not the same damper as the one you buy from Ohlin's. It's the same shell but the damper on the 10 is much less aggressive due to safety concerns (Law suits) by Kawi.

Thanks for the info guys.

2hip, sounds like scotts use to rebrand ohlins dampner and now they actually make and own the rights, is that what happened.

I would be in a GB for an ohlins replacement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are there more than one model of Ohlins that can go there or only one ?
What is time involved to install one ?

Per Ohlins they have redesigned the damper.
Here is a pic of the new model and design.
As a kit it is part#SD 030
This has new color as well as laser engraved logo.
Also new integrated floating piston design is what I am told from Ohlins USA.
There is also a plug for a resistor that some Gsxrs have ?
Hard racing does still have them at same price and they say it is new design damper just without the resistor to make a Busa specific package.
Listed as SD187
SD0211.jpg

Piston was redesigned as a result of MotoGP testing where some of the oil got too hot and caused addtl stiffness per Ohlins.

Back