How to GoAWOL sans Hayabusa....

GoAWOL

Abiit, excessit, evasit
Donating Member
Registered
Got bit by the Rocky Mountain crazy bug :banana: and since the 'busa is awaiting new shoes, I partook in my other passion.....GoAWOL in the Rockies! Little place in the Sangra De Christo mountains called south Colony lakes. My brother and I broke trail for 5hrs Friday night for a whopping 5 miles in fresh powder with 40lb rucks. Every ache and pain was worth the brightest moon this year and one helluva sunrise the next morning. No picks of the lakes...the camera froze at about 11,500ft.

start-small.jpg

start2-small.jpg

Fence-small.jpg

Moon-small.jpg

PikesPeak-small.jpg

Camp-small.jpg

BrokenHand-small.jpg

CrestoneNeedle-small.jpg

CrestoneNeedle2-small.jpg

Mountain-small.jpg

mountain2-small.jpg

Cool pics! Hope you took the GPS if going off the trail too far. Looks like a pretty unforgivening place if you get lost.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Your a stronger man than I am. I didnt see a free continential breakfast anywhere in sight.:laugh:
Glad you were able to get out and enjoy yourself:beerchug:

very cool!

but confused, the sign says no camping etc.... were you way beyond the 1.5 miles... does it go in to the mountains or something?

gorgeous scenery

very cool!

but confused, the sign says no camping etc.... were you way beyond the 1.5 miles... does it go in to the mountains or something?

gorgeous scenery

Thanks for the comments. There is a 6 mile trail to what used to be an upper parking lot (4x4 only, closed now). Here is a link to the trail...it ends up in a cirque where you are sourounded by 14000ft peaks. One of my favorite places in Colorado. The no camping reference is for the initial 1.5 miles on public property.:beerchug:

Got bit by the Rocky Mountain crazy bug :banana: and since the 'busa is awaiting new shoes, I partook in my other passion.....GoAWOL in the Rockies! Little place in the Sangra De Christo mountains called south Colony lakes. My brother and I broke trail for 5hrs Friday night for a whopping 5 miles in fresh powder with 40lb rucks. Every ache and pain was worth the brightest moon this year and one helluva sunrise the next morning. No picks of the lakes...the camera froze at about 11,500ft.

Ooooh man! You have no idea how much I would love to have gone along w/ you guys on something like this. Great hike and what a reward to wake up to in the morning. The views and serenity make it all worth it.

I miss CO so much. We used to hike straight out the back door of our house in Avon at the base of Beaver Creek and just go until we couldn't go anymore. Pitch camp, start a fire and enjoy the surroundings.

Thanks for the great share :thumbsup:

Back