Kawasaki ZX-12R

I have an 01 Busa, No cans, and a 2000 Kawi 12R Ninja, Full Muzzy everything,( clutch, Airbox mod, K&Ns, Double bubble, PowerCommander II, even the Muzzy Alum. fan), I agree with Hawaii, the 12R is more torquey than the busa but I will swear that the busa is a better bike because the 12 R has 17,900 on it hasn't been ridden except on runs and the busa just caught up to it 17,500 and the busa still starts and runs like new. The 12R is loosened up. 12R was dynoed 2 years ago at 179 rwhp at Kyle Racing. It is a terror to ride. I only weigh 135 so I can pull wheelies at will on the busa but the 12R comes up so damn fast that the tank hits you and your eyes actually have to catch up to your skull and by that time you are already vertical or you think you are gonna hi-side and fall over. I love my busa because it is either a hotrod or a sporttourer when I want it. but the 12R has a monocoque frame design and it is more sportlike. Also I have lowered my busa about 1-1/2" in fron and 2 in the rear and it still handles good enough for me. the 12R is stock with a lil stiffness and it does corner a lil better but I would not want to be on a speed run or a long haul on the 12. I also believe this, if you look at 12R's numbers, it does have more HP than the busa but less torque. weights are similar although My 12R is 24 lbs. lighter than my busa. I can pull away from the 12R anytime on the busa from 70+mph. But I cannot catch the Busa when I am on the 12R.
12Rs are good bikes, but choice:
Busa.  
As for the 10R wait for the comparo on the 10R the NEW GSXR-1K and the R-1

R'sN
Uh, you have a 24lb lighter, 179rwhp - and maybe even a few more since it's now broken in - 12r and you can't catch what sounds like an almost stock Busa?? My BS meter is twitching...

Steve

One word for this pic........beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

ninjazx12r1024_2.jpg

The 12 has never been king and never will be king. everyone keeps saying the 12 has a little more power and torque, but yet it can.t outrun the busa, I don't get it.

go to the bottom of this website and check out performance of a busa against the 12r from several motorcycle magazines.

http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/specs_performance.htm

The 10 Is sweet but the 12r just sucks in my opinion.

I can't deny it, that fuggin' all black ZX12 looks good. I've wanted a second bike for a while now and have contemplated the 12, but have since then altered my thinking into getting another Busa. Boardmember "poops" is selling his '02 SE and if he still has it by February, then it WILL be MINE!!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Cousin asked me how come only one color for the 12 this year? Production numbers down? They gonna can it soon?

HawaiiBusa: It does seem that Big K is focusing more of their R&D on the 10. I've read more articles pertaining to the 10 rather that the 12. It probably makes sense since the 12's main focus was to beat the Busa but what good is it if every manufacturer are limiting their top end speed to 186 MPH. I guess Big K decided to focus on handling b/c SportRider even did a comparision test with the 10 and 2 Suzukis (600 and 750). Almost seems like an Apples and Oranges kind of test but they said the 10 handles almost as well as the smaller bikes.

@BigDawg03: That is a beautiful pic. One of the reasons I have a hard time choosing between a Busa and a 12. I think in the end, however, I'll end up on a Suzuki

Cousin asked me how come only one color for the 12 this year? Production numbers down? They gonna can it soon?
Rumors I read elsewhere have the 12R goin' extinct next year ('06) because the 10 does everything the 12 can do and more. That news sucks for us busa lovers though. Could mean that the busa won't get a real update either. If the newly designed gixxer 1k takes off with the zuk crowd like the 10 did with the Kawi camp the busa might be nearin' it's end...

I don't think Honda, BMW or anybody else is truly gonna come out with anything that would really put a dent in busa sales either. I don't think there will be enough competition to force zuk to do anything else with the busa except maybe new bodywork. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't have a very positive outlook for the busa's future right now.
sad.gif

The 12 has never been king and never will be king. everyone keeps saying the 12 has a little more power and torque, but yet it can.t outrun the busa, I don't get it.

go to the bottom of this website and check out performance of a busa against the 12r from several motorcycle magazines.

Hold don't get your boxers in a wad whoever said the 12 was king?  Can the 12 outrun the Busa oooh yeah pending rider & mods.  Put the same 2 riders (weight & skill) and the same mods.  I give the nod to the Busa for 2 reasons: 1-torque and 2-aerodynamics.  The Busa was built for primarily going 200mph (which explains the wind tunneled structure).  There is nothing wrong with admiring another bike and I personally am dissappointed that Suz has gone so long without any significant upgrades.  Personally I know trading for a 12r is a downgrade in performance & comfort, but the redesigned nose looks pretty sweet.  Ideally I'd love to have a Busa & a 12, but I'll honestly probably stick with the Busa.  I'm not entirely sure the 12 can take 22,000 miles in  1 1/2 years.  Also it looks as though the information from that website was a comparison between a 2000 Busa & 12 and alot has changed in 5 years.  Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with my baby, but again that 12r is lookin perty sweet!!!!!

It was bound to happen sooner of later. Surely the focus has moved to the liter bikes that are built for racing. Until the Gixxer shows something remarkable to Suzuki loyalists, then I don't see much in the way of hurting the Busa sales. Now, on the other hand, if they don't make some radical improvements to the Busa, then sales will ultimately decline.

As long as Suk gets the sales that they get with the Busa I think there is not a worry about them getting rid of it> It still does what is was made for very well. Also ,atleast around here, if you go to the 1/4 track the one bike that dominates the field in numbers and usually wins is the Busa. Not sure peeps that buy Busa manly to drag it want to see it shorten or made more geared to twisties as you are taking away one of the strong points of the bike.

Rumors I read elsewhere have the 12R goin' extinct next year ('06) because the 10 does everything the 12 can do and more. That news sucks for us busa lovers though. Could mean that the busa won't get a real update either. If the newly designed gixxer 1k takes off with the zuk crowd like the 10 did with the Kawi camp the busa might be nearin' it's end...

I don't think Honda, BMW or anybody else is truly gonna come out with anything that would really put a dent in busa sales either. I don't think there will be enough competition to force zuk to do anything else with the busa except maybe new bodywork. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't have a very positive outlook for the busa's future right now.  
sad.gif
Sorry, I dont care if they update, od discontinue. I GOT MINE
smile.gif

Buy the one that fits and feels better to you, the one you wont regret later, whichever one that is. They are both ( all?) good bikes. As far as waiting, in 2 years, will it matter that you had to wait 2 weeks, or even 2 months to get what you want?

When you buy something that makes you happy, you'll keep it longer, and take better care of it. Good luck, let us know, AND POST PICS when it arrives
biggrin.gif

Hey, BT,
Like your new avatar
cool.gif

I like both bikes and anyone who owns either bike is pretty fortunate, so look up and say thanks Lord.,,,,,,,,,and if you get the 12, just tell everyone the devil made me do it:)

Hold don't get your boxers in a wad whoever said the 12 was king?  Can the 12 outrun the Busa oooh yeah pending rider & mods.  Put the same 2 riders (weight & skill) and the same mods.  I give the nod to the Busa for 2 reasons: 1-torque and 2-aerodynamics.  The Busa was built for primarily going 200mph (which explains the wind tunneled structure).  There is nothing wrong with admiring another bike and I personally am dissappointed that Suz has gone so long without any significant upgrades.  Personally I know trading for a 12r is a downgrade in performance & comfort, but the redesigned nose looks pretty sweet.  Ideally I'd love to have a Busa & a 12, but I'll honestly probably stick with the Busa.  I'm not entirely sure the 12 can take 22,000 miles in  1 1/2 years.  Also it looks as though the information from that website was a comparison between a 2000 Busa & 12 and alot has changed in 5 years.  Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with my baby, but again that 12r is lookin perty sweet!!!!!
reguardless of the changes to the 12r, it has still not been named the king. TYhere is a reason for that. If you do the same mods to a busa and a 12r, the busa will still win.

When I said the 12r is not the kind, I was not referring to that anyone has ever said it was, I was just stating that there is a reason the busa is better. I agree that the 10r is an awesom machine. If they would have put that much effort into the 12r maybe it would be king. I just see a lot more busa's out there then I do 12rs. Actually I have only seen 1 12r since I have been in hawaii in the last year and a half, and that was a friend of a friends

reguardless of the changes to the 12r, it has still not been named the king. TYhere is a reason for that. If you do the same mods to a busa and a 12r, the busa will still win.
The reason is simply displacement. Bring the 12r up to the same displacement and watch it disappear...

...[clip]... I was just stating that there is a reason the busa is better [/QUOTE]

Better? Better at what exactly... So much of 'better' is subjective - in other words, opinion. You may say the Busa is more comfortable while I say the 12r is more comfortable. You may say the Busa has a nicer styled body while I say the 12r has a nicer styled body. You may say the Busa is a mature looking bike while I say that it looks like a squidly mess, with the exception of the solid color LE's. You may say the Busa is more well built while I say the 12r is equally well built. These are all subjective criteria.

If you were to say the Busa is slightly faster in top speed, I would agree. If you were to say the Busa is slightly quicker in the quarter mile, I would agree.

But, if slightly faster and slightly quicker is your benchmark for determining 'better', I wholeheartedly disagree.

I just see a lot more busa's out there then I do 12rs. Actually I have only seen 1 12r since I have been in hawaii in the last year and a half, and that was a friend of a friends [/QUOTE]

Either bike is a waste in Hawaii, frankly.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of Busa and 12r owners are, well, posers. They didn't buy their bike because they're going to actually use all of its maximum capabilities. They bought their bike because of what it's perceived to be...

As far as I'm concerned, the advantages of the 12r are:

1) More attractive styling, both bodywork and paint scheme (subjective),
2) More comfortable (subjective)
3) Superior handling (objective),
4) Superior braking (objective),
5) Superior horsepower (objective),
6) Lighter weight (objective),
7) More visceral experience (subjective)
8) Simplier cable clutch (objective)

The advantages of the Busa are:

1) Superior torque (objective)
2) Simplified maintenance (subjective)
3) More easily raised clipons (objective)
4) Slightly quicker quarter mile (objective)
5) Slightly faster top speed (objective)
6) More unique styling (subjective)
7) Magnetic tank bag capable (objective)

The real concrete advantages of the Busa don't come into play until you decide to turbocharge it, and how many would/do?

So what is 'better'...

Steve

Back