Tackling 4 projects at once )Pics(

Datsun350Z

Registered
So today I got the itch to ride. After being below freezing for two weeks here the snow on the road was finally melted and dried out. It was only 40 degrees out, and the bike is in pieces waiting for me to move my ass. I decided the hour of sunlight would be over by the time I had it back together.
So instead of being lazy and going on the computer I decided to put in some work.

I decided to open up these 2 boxes, I was confused as to whether they were from china or Italy, It had chinese writing, but also said Frageeelay.
Frageeelaay.JPG

Inside:
CF4.JPG

So I started on the right side, installed well, lined up much better than I expected (Even though the finish on these are EXCELLENT I still expected to be let down) Only problem was the center bolt on the fairing was off by a half inch, found the tab on the top that wasn't lined up half an hour later, popped it in, and perfect fit!

CF1.JPG
CF2.JPG
CF3.JPG

I removed the left side fairing and realized my stator cover was still rashed, and hadn't fixed itself like I had hoped. :please: So I decided to try to play with that while i was in there. Took a wire wheel to it and smoothed out the rash & removed the paint. Was planning on doing a half-assed rattlecan job but I decided to see what a little polishing would do, worked my way down through the grits and got a decent result. I'm going to decide tomorrow whether to paint it, or put in some extra time to actually polish it.
Stator1.JPG
Stator2.JPG

Then I decided I might as well do the Kickstand Mod, cut into that a little and was happy with the result. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow:

I still have to do what I originally started out to do, wire an auxillary power outlet which will be used mainly for the GPS.

Make a bracket for the GPS (probably off the front tank bolts).

Weigh stock vs carbon fairing.

Install left fairing.

Clean up. :rulez:

Thanks for reading, I'll post pics of the finished wiring and fairing install tomorrow.

CF1.JPG

CF2.JPG

CF3.JPG

CF4.JPG

Stator1.JPG

Stator2.JPG

Tomorrow.JPG

Frageeelaay.JPG

downtime well spent, where in PA are you? I have family in Philly and my sis is in love with the 350 Z guessing by your screen name you have a slight affinity for it as well :thumbsup:

I'm in northeast PA 2.5 hours north of philly.

I have a 1976 Datsun 260Z powered by a Chevy 350 V8... I call it a 350Z to mess with the newer 350Z owners. It's a work in progress that has been stalled by the busa :laugh:

dats.JPG

dats.JPG

Did i mention that a busa with no front fender or front end kicks up a lot of cinders on a non-atgatt compliant rider even if you don't break 35 mph?

Couldn't resist a quick 1/2 mile ride to the stop sign and back before i started :whistle:

First off...great projects! I was wondering how the CF panels would fit. Secondly it does my heart good to see I am not the only person in the world who feels wire wheels on scratched stator covers are a great fix. Yours turned out really nice. Will look forward to seeing other pics as things progress.

Happy New Year!

First off...great projects! I was wondering how the CF panels would fit. Secondly it does my heart good to see I am not the only person in the world who feels wire wheels on scratched stator covers are a great fix. Yours turned out really nice. Will look forward to seeing other pics as things progress.

Happy New Year!

Thanks!

Btw, anyone planning to use a wire wheel, make sure you don't go too deep.
I really dug into the cover, and it was not fun to sand out the deep gouges i left.

Time to get some coffee, then back to work on the bike.

There it is, happy to see your makin progress on it. Ive been itching to see those CF fairings for awhile, glad the quality is better than expected. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm in northeast PA 2.5 hours north of philly.

I have a 1976 Datsun 260Z powered by a Chevy 350 V8... I call it a 350Z to mess with the newer 350Z owners. It's a work in progress that has been stalled by the busa :laugh:

View attachment 170651

seems like a shame to waste that pretty body on a chevy motor. rb swaps are the way to go with those bro.

seems like a shame to waste that pretty body on a chevy motor. rb swaps are the way to go with those bro.

I agree, they are absolutely beautiful, and can make good power.
With a higher budget I would definitely go for it.

There are quite a few issues that made me stray away from any JDM motor though.

1.) Wiring... Definitely not my strong point. Carbeurated makes my life easier.

2.) Initial cost... $3-5k for a front clip (Would need all wiring and transmission) for that price I can buy a 450hp crate engine with a warranty lol.

3.) Maintenance and upgrades... the cars with worthwhile engines have great support overseas, but i'm not too keen on buying overpriced parts from a USA source, and can't speak japanese to order my own.

4.) Tuning and support... Outside of cali and florida there aren't any tuners that both know their tuning, and are familiar with the motor.

5.) I can't promise that I wouldn't use it as a coffee table just so i can stare at it every day :drool:
tomei-rb26dett-engine.jpg

tomei-rb26dett-engine.jpg

Hillbilly says- Where da rest of the cylanders on that there motor? Whats them snail shells on the side fer?:rofl:

So... after using a bungee cord to hang my tank off the rafters yesterday i found this today:
tankprop.JPG

Is this the correct use and placement for the rod under the passenger seat?

Got the other side installed, and they are an almost perfect fit i'd say 95%
CFL1.JPG
CFL2.JPG
CFL3.JPG

Still didn't finish wiring the GPS, Need about 1' of 12 gauge wire.

Anyone see any problems with using a dowel through the hollow center tube to mount the GPS on the triple tree?
Dowel.JPG

I was going to build a bracket off the tank, but i want it to be clean and flush.

CFL1.JPG

CFL2.JPG

CFL3.JPG

tankprop.JPG

Dowel.JPG

Back