New winter project...

Looking good. Only problem is your "Winter Project" is going to be complete before winter even get here. You working to fast.:laugh:

Well the new tail section light and hump are on the bike and a good friend took the tire off the blown rim and remounted and balanced on the new one. The front seat has been cut down and will be recovered tomorrow night, then we get down to redoing the side fairings, nose and front fender. Sanded so they can be re-shot in matching colors. I was going to do the rims, but I am going to try living with black rims for a while...not my cup of tea...but then again, I did white on my other one.

DSC02710 (Medium).JPG

DSC02711 (Medium).JPG

DSC02712 (Medium).JPG

DSC02713 (Medium).JPG

Wow, great job! I better hurry up with my rebuild, you are fast. Doyle

OK...I have been pushing on this to get it wrapped up. I swore after doing my 08 with all the mods and stuff that I would not make that mistake again. Don't get me wrong, I love mods...but if you ever think about running hard on the twisties...you run the chance at making a lot of EBay parts out of a good bike.

Well this is an interim update. Front forks installed, front bracket installed, gauges installed, frame straightened, sub frame installed, new 06 gas tank installed, wiring repaired where needed, new 4-2-1 header (my own creation) and pipe installed, rear wheel installed going to get the front tire mounted on the new rim, CF mirrors arrived today, new tail assembly arrived today and will go on tomorrow...oh yeah...turned her over today!!! I initially showed an F1 light, but not everything is installed, so I am assuming that once I get all the electrical installed that may clear up??? We will cross that bridge when we get there. So far I only have about 2100 invested into this bike (including the cost of the bike) pays to shop around! I am down to having to redo the paint on the side panels and front fairing and she will be hitting the street. I must say now having a Gen I, these are such cool bikes. I love my Gen II, but the Gen I's are just killer!

If you are wondering, with the Gen I and II having the same frame, many of my stock take off parts from my Gen II build have been able to be used on this rebuild. I will post more pictures tomorrow...hopefully...

Dr E you mentioned having the frame straightened, can you educate me on how one goes about determining if the frame is even bent or out of shape at all? Do you need to strip it down to just the frame then take it in to be checked? How do they determine proper alignment of the frame? some type of laser alignment rack or something similiar?

Following Raydog's rebuild and now seeing yours has really got me to rethinking my options.

Attachments

• untitled 2.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 257
Looks like you're doing a great job and sounds like you're really enjoying it too.
I really want to give you credit for doing all the work inside your house :thumbsup:.

Dr E you mentioned having the frame straightened, can you educate me on how one goes about determining if the frame is even bent or out of shape at all? Do you need to strip it down to just the frame then take it in to be checked? How do they determine proper alignment of the frame? some type of laser alignment rack or something similiar?

Following Raydog's rebuild and now seeing yours has really got me to rethinking my options.

This is the second frame I have now straightened...and to that point I will be a little more descriptive. I am only dealing with the mounting portion of the main frame to the subframe. Anything that deals with the main frame body itself I consider a total right off. Suzuki's are notorious for rupturing welds on the main body, while I could repair damage like that...just not worth it. OK, back on point.

Straightening or "aligning" the interface between the main and sub frame is adjusting the frame to the point that you are comfortable with how the sub frame/tail section sits. I have seen guys run at the track with subframes 2 to 3 inches off center...its a track bike you know its going down. I kinda like my street/track bikes to look good. There is enough torsional give in the mounting points that with a proper lever (one that encompasses the whole portion of the frame, not just the bolt hole) you can manually manipulate the frame back to center. Yes, I did say manually manipulate. The frame actually has enough give that you can move it (slowly, not just wrenching on it) back into place. I did this with the frame at ~70 deg F, you do not need to apply external heat beyond normal room temps, aluminum will tend to change states if you were to hit it with a torch and you seriously run the risk of either annealing it where it is to soft to function or you may embrittle it to where it will shear off under load. At room temperature with proper leverage and proper grip of the frame it will go back.

I moved, on this bike, the frame back 3/4 of an inch on both sides. I did set up my own alignment markers using both the swing arm and main body. One area you need to watch also is the mounting bracket for the gas tank. If the frame is twisted you need to be aware that you might be off on the bolt holes when reassembling the bike. Dry fit the bracket and tank till all the holes align. If you are a little off, there is enough flex you can muster a fudge of no more then 1/8 of an inch...but no more than that. You need to work the frame a tad more in that case.

What I just described also was the same process I went through on my GSXR 750 track bike. The previous owner had a get off that tweaked the frame worse then the busa. Time, paitence and perseverance paid off and I got her back in line.

Looks like you're doing a great job and sounds like you're really enjoying it too. I really want to give you credit for doing all the work inside your house :thumbsup:.

I give my wife credit as well! She loves having the bike in the studio as she can come over and stay warm and talk with me while I work. Works out nice as she will bring over the latest book we are wanting to read and she will read to me while I work. I love it as we get to spend time together, I am doing what I want and she is as well.

Hum...Busa Marriage retreats? Build your bike while you build your relationship...

Right on Eric!!

The project looks to be comin' along good! Can't wait to see it.:thumbsup:

Sunday morning update... Was a busy day yesterday... started off when I realized that the hump I wanted to use was the wrong shade for the tail section I just got...I had originally thought the two would match...silly me! Hump is an 02, tail is an 06...hump and then I looked at the paint codes:banghead: I ordered the matching one up from the guy I got the tail section from. hump will be here on Tuesday.

Last nights list of things knocked off...bled out the clutch, cut down the seat and did the upholstery and polished the outer edge of the rims. I just could not go all black and with this little bit polished...I am liking it. Today after watching the races... I will start prep work on the nose and two side fairings for painting.

In closing for today...the last mod shown is brought to you by mother nature...damn...winter is getting all too close now.

DSC02716 (Medium).JPG

DSC02719 (Medium).JPG

DSC02717 (Medium).JPG

DSC02718 (Medium).JPG

DSC02715 (Medium).JPG

looks like a lot of progress :thumbsup:

track bike... quarter miler? road course?

She will see some days on the track, no quarter miling...she will run the hard twities back roads of Oregon and Idaho. I am just going to enjoy the bike for what she is...a powerful survivor.

Sneak peak of the paint and a really cool Kanji I found. Carbon fiber vinyl print done in the Gen II Kanji. A great find as I did not want to go with standard vinyl and my friend who has done printing in the past closed his doors. I should have the bike together by next week if all goes as planed. As Bogus so aptly pointed out to me I would be done before winter:laugh: I was able to drag the project out into winter officially.:thumbsup:

DSC02758 (Medium).JPG

DSC02760 (Medium).JPG

DSC02762 (Medium).JPG

DSC02763 (Medium).JPG

DSC02765 (Medium).JPG

Well, she is finally done. All that is left is a few areas that need a good polish on her.

At the beginning of Oct she was a pile of parts...

DSC02637 (Medium).JPG

DSC02641 (Medium).JPG

DSC02767 (Medium).JPG

DSC02769 (Medium).JPG

DSC02770 (Medium).JPG

DSC02772 (Medium).JPG

DSC02773 (Medium).JPG

Dr. E, thank you for capturing it all with pics. What a skillful accomplishment! Someday when the roads are warm and dry, let us know how the girl transports you through the twisties. Raydog

Nicely done, Eric! Gotta admire those rider relationship retreats. You can sure get a lot of 'other' things done and everyone benefits! Kudos, my friend!! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Back