CX650 Turbo

hondacub

Registered
Hello,
I have a friend that says a 1983 CX650 turbo will
out run any of the current liter superbikes from 50
mile an hour rollon to 100.
I could not find and rollon specs to verify this...
So if anyone has tried this or no for a fact can
you please post some info

thanks

Welcome, and your friend is misinformed or TERRIBLY optimistic.

Best 1/4 mile acceleration 11.95 sec., 112.4 mph ( Motorcyclist , 7/83)

versus

So its real hard for me to believe that bike that is trapping 30+ slower in 1320 feet is going to hold a candle to any of those from a roll.

Last edited:
:welcome::welcome:

Just smile and meet him at the track... You wont win a verbal over this..

I rode a couple of those bikes and they were nothing to get excited about..

Hello,

thanks

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a 1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 ATP turbo that will roast that bike . . .

Last edited:
I think your friend has to update his reading material. That was a pretty common statement back in the 80's when that bike was introduced. It could run with the litre bikes of that generation in certain conditions but then that was over 20 years ago. Time to recycle the old mags and appreciate that bike for what it was.....:whistle:

I just rebuilt the carbs and did a restore service on a cx 650c model and will say he is just like what I found in the air filter if he believes that it will beat a busa even with the turbo...they make about 65 hp non turbo and around 100hp with one....

air filter photos prior to working on bike,some people are truly nuts about their bikes :rofl:

I do alot of old school restoration jobs and this one was crazy.The trash can was empty prior to picture this was in airbox/filter element :laugh:

The bike for a 1983 model was almost mint,didn't run or roll when it came here,road it back to the customer he was all smiles and couldn't believe what it looked like with no dirt on it..

Picture 5811.jpg

Picture 5812.jpg

Picture 5814.jpg

Picture 5815.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

thanks

lmao...Tell him he's living in the past, man.

The CX650 was the first bike that piqued my interest in sportbikes back in '82. I would later buy an '84 GpZ900 that would easily lay waste to the CX650.

Kawasaki-GPZ900R-1984.jpg

he is either an old guy living in the past...or just making excuses for his bike..

i went thru this with my dad, he used to go on and on about the kawasaki h-1 and H-2's. how fast they were, how easily they could be made to go faster.

when we got into racing, he was finally confronted with reality. after spending lots of money on different bikes. from z-1's GSXR's nothing compares..nothing is even close to a new bike, be it liter bike or busa.

the fastest bike at one time was the GPZ 750 turbo...so fast they made a poster of it and used it in the national campaign, 10.69 with pro rider Jay gleason......thats stock 600cc numbers today.

When the GPz 550 was out I was riding its main competition the Yamaha Seca 550. Great bikes at the time but we have come an awful long way since then.....they were considered middleweight missiles then but would be classified as beginners specials now. Funny but riders skills haven't changed one bit.:whistle:

the fastest bike at one time was the GPZ 750 turbo...so fast they made a poster of it and used it in the national campaign, 10.69 with pro rider Jay gleason.

Actually, the fastest bike at the time was the 1984 Ninja which smashed the 1/4 at 10.55 with Mr. Gleason aboard. After that, it was the GS1150ES..

Back