Shortening your Exhaust

slep_rock

Registered
I noticed at Biketoberfest, down in Daytona, FL, that there were many bikes with exhausts that were purchased at regular lenghts but were cut in half or 3/4'd. Was wondering if anyone here has done it?

My stock exhaust, shortened 8 inches and polished:

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

YEp...did my HMFs almost 2 yrs ago. Love the sound, but I did some other mod work to the exhaust too:laugh: After market cans are easy to cut down.
Painters tape so not to scratch it
grinder or band saw...to get a straight cut
drill and new rivets.
:beerchug:

DSC00070.jpg

YEp...did my HMFs almost 2 yrs ago. Love the sound, but I did some other mod work to the exhaust too:laugh: After market cans are easy to cut down.
Painters tape so not to scratch it
grinder or band saw...to get a straight cut
drill and new rivets.
:beerchug:
That HMF is so hot :drool:

A couple of the guys told me that once shortened that you'd have to remap your Power Commander

not necessary with mine anyway. Stock headers and resonator in the midpipe are the main points of restriction so not much changed aside from sound.

any aftermaket exhaust that retains stock headers and mid-pipes is not likely to change fuel and/or ignition curve needs much from what i've seen.

I have a set of half cut, stock mids and it runs like crap with them so I do know the difference.

??? intersting comment as...on my race bike I run... a cut can has shown to provide the same performance if not better then before. Not saying your wrong... Rod also has had great success with his cut HMF. I think one has to take into consideration all other mods that have been done before saying that cut cans degrades performance.

??? intersting comment as...on my race bike I run... a cut can has shown to provide the same performance if not better then before. Not saying your wrong... Rod also has had great success with his cut HMF. I think one has to take into consideration all other mods that have been done before saying that cut cans degrades performance.

I also had mine custom tunned! I have MBC race filter, HMF full ( one-off mod exhaust, and air box mod....custom tuned. With out pulling that big 330 fatty (should be around 175+ )..but the 330 fatty HP steeling heavy tire..dyno at 150HP.

That looks really good. How's the sound?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! Sounds very good. It's straight-piped (2 inch exhaust pipe for $20 from Midas) through the middle of the muffler but not crazy loud because of the resonator in the mids.

I had originally planned to make some cuts on the tubes and put some packing around it for sound absorption it but it wasn't loud enough to justify the extra work.

I welded the tubes myself, and cut the stock header just before the collector, I love the sound, really loud though.
DSCN3537.jpg

and the complete bike.
IMG_3597.jpg

Back