How about this bike ?

Make him an offer, nice looking ride and, well no need to mention what that color is capable of :laugh:

If you are going to spend that kind of money, why not just buy a NEW bike...?

I don't understand looking at used bikes that have been raced heavily. You might be fine but you could also be asking for problems.

P.S...You might want to put these kind of threads in the correct section. The admin might not like it... :poke:

If you are going to spend that kind of money, why not just buy a NEW bike...?

I don't understand looking at used bikes that have been raced heavily. You might be fine but you could also be asking for problems.

P.S...You might want to put these kind of threads in the correct section. The admin might not like it... :poke:

+ 1

Learn to ride the bike you have. Spending all the money in the world will not make you a better drag racer. Seat time will. There are always a couple of guys at any strip with bikes they have sunk a bunch of money into and who have no clue how to ride them. Don't be that guy......

Learn to ride the bike you have. Spending all the money in the world will not make you a better drag racer. Seat time will. There are always a couple of guys at any strip with bikes they have sunk a bunch of money into and who have no clue how to ride them. Don't be that guy......

Great Advice ! :thumbsup:

I don't mind being that guy. Want a newer bike that is set up already.

9's first time out I heard is not too bad :laugh:

Thanks for the input :beerchug:

You don't mind wasting money, send some my way.....:poke:
I wasn't knocking ya, just giving you advice.
Good luck.

There was a guy @ our track on a promod he purchased it had been 4.50 best he got was 5.80:whistle: just wouldnt hammer it off line

thats the bike

qs9zlf.jpg

I don't mind being that guy. Want a newer bike that is set up already.

9's first time out I heard is not too bad :laugh:

Thanks for the input :beerchug:

How do you know it's setup properly...?

You could be buying someones basket case. I've seen more than a few for sale adds claim one thing and the bike do another... :whistle:

What they tell you..."It ran 8.90's!"......what they don't is that was right before it blew up. They also don't tell you they did a cheap rebuild because they couldn't afford to fix it right and now it won't run with stock bikes so they are trying to offload it and start over.... :banghead:

Not always the case but I've seen more than a few with similar circumstances...

I'm the odd man out on this. I have had very good experiences buying used race bikes and cars. You can tell a lot about how a bike was treated by the condition its in and the personality of the seller. May be worth a drive to Md.

First, as long as there are no power adders, and the motor is low milieage, and the motor seems to run fine with decent leakdown, you should be fine. I honestly don't believe you can hurt a stock motor unless you are doing something TOTALY stupid. If it shows signs or having run MR9 or if there are holes in the air box for nitrous, then thats a different story. But, If it has 3k miles on it, it isn't possiblem that they were all 1/4 mile passes. Basicly it had to be ridden on the street part of the time, so it couldn't have been a full time drag bike.

Second, the fact that it has been upgraded means that the guy probably does his own mechanicals, and knows enough to keep oil in it, etc. A street squid who doesn't own a tool box and goes to the dealer for everything may not be the greatest at maintanence.

Finally, I don't subscribe to the fact that you need to learn on a moped to learn correctly. Your skill potential is independent of the bikes you have ridden. Some of the best riders in AMA dragracing are just 18 year old kids. The difference is that they have people to show them how to set the bike up, and suggest how to ride the bikes.

Its a great time to get a good price on a bike. Cash is king in this environment. Buy what you can afford and work with someone (good rider, racer, and mechanic)to get the most of it.

Oh, and negotiate a much better price than what he is asking...:laugh:

I'm the odd man out on this. I have had very good experiences buying used race bikes and cars. You can tell a lot about how a bike was treated by the condition its in and the personality of the seller. May be worth a drive to Md.

First, as long as there are no power adders, and the motor is low milieage, and the motor seems to run fine with decent leakdown, you should be fine. I honestly don't believe you can hurt a stock motor unless you are doing something TOTALY stupid. If it shows signs or having run MR9 or if there are holes in the air box for nitrous, then thats a different story. But, If it has 3k miles on it, it isn't possiblem that they were all 1/4 mile passes. Basicly it had to be ridden on the street part of the time, so it couldn't have been a full time drag bike.

Second, the fact that it has been upgraded means that the guy probably does his own mechanicals, and knows enough to keep oil in it, etc. A street squid who doesn't own a tool box and goes to the dealer for everything may not be the greatest at maintanence.

Finally, I don't subscribe to the fact that you need to learn on a moped to learn correctly. Your skill potential is independent of the bikes you have ridden. Some of the best riders in AMA dragracing are just 18 year old kids. The difference is that they have people to show them how to set the bike up, and suggest how to ride the bikes.

Its a great time to get a good price on a bike. Cash is king in this environment. Buy what you can afford and work with someone (good rider, racer, and mechanic)to get the most of it.

Great advice, Im glad I didnt have to type all of that:lol: It looks like a very well put together bike. Very similar to mine:laugh: Id say take a look at it, you should know how it was treated once talk to the owner and see the bike. Regardless of what the owner ran on it is an high 8 second bike with that setup. Good luck Twinviper:thumbsup:

Great advice, Im glad I didnt have to type all of that:lol: It looks like a very well put together bike. Very similar to mine:laugh: Id say take a look at it, you should know how it was treated once talk to the owner and see the bike. Regardless of what the owner ran on it is an high 8 second bike with that setup. Good luck Twinviper:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

At least some people understand.

Just like my cars. I always buy hot rods that someone else dumped all the money into. If they are built right they will last.

Don't get me wrong there are good used toys out there but based on your threads YOU HAVE TO DO THE RESEARCH to know they are built right. If you are in here asking basic questions, it doesn't appear that you know what to look for...

Are you planning to race it heavily or just a weekend toy...? To many factors and you haven't stated your plans for the bike.... ;) I just hate to see anyone get screwed over and this is where sellers take advantage of people that don't know what they are buying so BE CAREFUL... :beerchug:

I agree with the above! I would talk him down and not worry about the mods. The only issue on our bikes stock seems to be the second gear issue. This seems more of an issue in my opinion with bikes that are ran on the street more than track (or with out an air shifter). I know that my 2006 seemed to have this issue from the factory and only got worse until I installed a Cycle-tek airshifter. I dont know about the 08s and newer but the Gen 1s are pretty tuff minus the trans.
Another thing that Draco mentioned is the personality of the seller. This is strictly my opinion so take it like a grain of salt. I personally look at the residence the person resides in, their daily driver, etc... Generally in my experience, if a seller had a well kept home, daily driver well maintained, etc... I feel better. I know that there are exceptions but this has been my experience. If I arrive to a Sellers home and there are zip ties, JB Weld, etc.... holding things together then run.:laugh:

Back