These are seriously freaky.... Coconut Crabs. OMG, spooky. Now with 77% more crab!

Yeah, I'm wondering if they're tasty with butter and Old Bay, a bottle of cold beer :laugh:

I think I'd be unnerved if they just roamed the streets though ???

looks like youd have to call gallgher with his huge mallet to bust them open.

COCONUT CRABS

The coconut crab is a large edible land crab related to the hermit crab, and are found in the tropical Indian and Pacific Oceans. They eat coconuts for a living! How would you like to be on an island and come across a crab that is more than 3 feet from head to tail and weighs up to 40 pounds, with a pair of large pincers strong enough to open coconuts! They can climb trees too, but they only eat coconuts that have already fallen to the ground. Coconut crab meat has been considered a local delicacy.​
Food Facts & Trivia: Coconut Crab

I had bad dreams about this crab last night... thanks a lot... :rofl:

at 40# and 3' long.., do you have "crab steaks" ?

Last edited:
holy **** that thing is massive... imagine seeing one of those at a restaraunt... that thing would be a 4 course meal itself

I can honestly say if it was 6am and I was taking the garbage out and came across that thing on the back of the can.... you would hear me scream like a 8yr old girl.... woozers that things huge and scary looking ! :hide:

These are my thoughts exactly!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I have seen those live and in person (er' crab) when I was stationed in Diego Garcia out in the Indian Ocean. They are a creature to behold! I have seen some 12" ones...........

Ok now I'm scared of something besides sharks!

Yeah... I'm with ya, one of these pushing it's way across my driveway while I'm taking out the garbage would have an impact on my mental well being far beyond the usual opossum or Raccoon. :rofl:

More pics. Turns out they are eatable, and NO you do not want to get drunk and pass out in the woods, cause yeah... They will eat you, or at least eat parts of you.

What I found striking though is that as hideous and scary as they are, their kids are still pretty darn cute, first image is of a baby coconut crab. The babies will shoulder on a shell just like a hermit crab, discarding them when they get big enough to go it alone.

From the sounds of it though they are also somewhat endangered. Shame.

See, the young ones are pretty darn cute... The adults not so much.

BobRalph-CCrab-FineHairs-02.JPG

coconut_crans_at_bora-bora.jpg

coconutcrabbig.jpg

OK, how about the biggest crab. The coconut crab is the largest terrestrial crab, this is a Japanese Spider Crab, and they are HUGE.

Up to 13 feet and 40lbs.

Wiki

Spider crab.jpg

Re: These are seriously freaky.... Coconut Crabs. OMG, spooky. Now with 77% more cr

:laugh:

Re: These are seriously freaky.... Coconut Crabs. OMG, spooky. Now with 77% more cr

crab louse, very small

190px-Pthius_pubis_-_crab_louse.jpg

crab louse, very small

Well yeah, but it's going to take a LOT of these to really fill a bucket at your table... :rofl:

I wonder how they taste with Old bay. Which, BTW is a crime against nature unless you're talking them icky Maryland blue crabs. :whistle:

Back