StompGrips Install Tips

neoBusa

Registered
Just installed my stomps... be careful people, these are not easy to install... no matter how hard you try bubbles will be visible... Here's what you Should and Should Not do:

DO's:
- Follow the Rules :rulez: that came with
- I put the grips on without removing back layer to position it.
- Mark the sides with tape. I marked only one side. The reason being this is an elastic material so no matter how accurate you are it will be very difficult to have the other end meet your mark. so no point.
- Now remove the grips and CLEAN SURFACE WELL. You must clean after you mark, as you will get the surface dirty by putting the grips even if for a second to position it.
- Peel about one inch. I worked my way from the bottom front, to Top Back. Meaning from my bottom knee area to my upper thigh if your seated in riding position.
- Now press down next to the tape you marked. By the way I also used the decals on the bike as a marker.
- Make sure you pressdown very hard and from side to side... and in the middle
- Peel an inch at a time... no more... work your way an inch at a time till you get it all.
- BE very very careful removing the back layer. The glue in between tends to sometimes stick on the back layer and if that breaks you r in trouble!!! I had a small piece break on top of the grip... will use clear double sided tape to make sure it stays in tact.
- Once you press all down, take a few mintes to try and get rid of as many bubbles as possible. Bare in mind you will not be able to rid of all the bubbles... especially the area between the busa decals and the tank...
- Blow dry over the grip again then press again...
- Tape all the sides down to ensure they stay there until they are glued well.
- After all done, you may want to try and squeeze the left over bubbles... its time consuming but you will still be able to get rid of a couple if you try... press on a bubble and try to lead it closer to another bubble, it gets easier when the bubbles join, then you keep pushing them to the corner til they are squeezed out.

DON'Ts:
- Do not peel more than one inch
- Do not clean surface once only... CLEAN MANY MANY TIMES! and when u think its clean, CLEAN AGAIN!
- DONT HURRY! Take your time. If you are not patient today, leave it for another day! for real...
- Do not touch Glue, it is very sticky and will stick to your finger peeling itself form the grip!
- Do Not install without heating. Heat makes the glue bond better. You may wish to keep grips and tank under the sun for a while then install if you like. Not an option for me as its very dusty here and would risk particles getting stuck underneath. (be careful though heating the grips too much will make the glue peel off from the grip).
- Do not over heat tank you will ruin your stock decal.

Here are some pics of the Grips installed. Sorry no install pics as I was too concentrated and could not risk leaving part of it installed to take pics... but the aboev shoudl give a clear idea..

Hope it helps... will soon let you guys know how they feel, experience riding with them, etc...

Stomp1.png

Stomp2.png

The bubble will go away over time...... don't let it bother you. Give it a lot of time ....weeks

I bought TechSpec Gripsters and virtually slapped them on. No tape, no heat, no cleaning cleaning cleaning, no bubbles.

I think it took me about 5 minutes to install both sides on mine.. no problems.. I attached the top 3" and then pulled the backer as I forced the stomp grip against the tank.. sort of a peel as you press thing going on..

I went with the black version, I don't have to worry about the bubbles....

However, if you don't clean it properly they will peel off over time, especially if you park the bike outside for days at a time outside in the HOT sun... don't ask me how I know...

I was planning for techspec as well... but I think they sell those in black only... I wanted a clear one to keep the colors of my bike visible... Unclesteve got it right, they are actually reducing in number over time...

will keep u guys posted.

cheers!

nice write up!...

cant tell with the tape on there, but do you know if it covers the entire stripe?

I had them for about a year & got rid of it. Wore holes through my leathers in the inside knees from gripping the tank.

ive had great luck using water with 2% dish soap and 10-15% rubbing alcohol. Same as you use installing stickers and graphics. Mist them push down and work the bubbles out a plastic spreader.

nice write up!...

cant tell with the tape on there, but do you know if it covers the entire stripe?

Sorry bro, im not home to take a pic without the tape - and wont be for another week. but here's another pic i took during install which should give you a better idea. It wont cover the stripe fully, but most of it for sure!

stompstripe.jpg

After looking at the Techspecs, I ordered them for my Gixxer 1K instead of Stompgrips; would rather not tear up my leathers and these appear to be easily removeable.

I had them for about a year & got rid of it. Wore holes through my leathers in the inside knees from gripping the tank.

I wouldn't be surprised... these things grip well... i think they work great for street riding, especially when wearing jeans and 2 up... when you brake u wont slide front and have the passenger push you forward... on track, never tried it so far, but can imagine it may damage leathers due to constant friction in twisties etc... Tried parking the bike wearing shorts,,, the feel on skin is horrible... But never ride in shorts so no probs.

After looking at the Techspecs, I ordered them for my Gixxer 1K instead of Stompgrips; would rather not tear up my leathers and these appear to be easily removeable.

yup... but i just dont like that it ruins my bikes looks... i dont ride track often and i wanted something clear, so the stripes on the bike are visible. Would be great if stomps create a grip not so harsh. but for now sticking with whats available in clear. will keep you guys posted if i face any problems!

great write up! mine will be in this thursday and i plan on following this to a tee. thanks! :thumbsup: i'll post a picture when done so some of us can see what the clear stomp looks like on the orange/black.

got em' done and i love em'. great support with little effort for my back and there killer in the twisties as tested this morning. they are ugly as all he11 but practical for my riding style. like neo says, constant cleaning and a hair dryer will make it easier to apply. the tips of my index fingers are raw from all of the pressing down i had to do. :laugh: now for the shots......

20090926_68.jpg

20090926_69.jpg

20090926_70.jpg

they are ugly indeed :laugh: , but work very well... im satisfied too bro!

but i like that they keep the colors of the bike intact, them being clear and all... much preferred than colored Grips...

got em' done and i love em'. great support with little effort for my back and there killer in the twisties as tested this morning. they are ugly as all he11 but practical for my riding style. like neo says, constant cleaning and a hair dryer will make it easier to apply. the tips of my index fingers are raw from all of the pressing down i had to do. :laugh: now for the shots......

Are those the universal ones or custom fit for Gen2 Busas?

Are those the universal ones or custom fit for Gen2 Busas?
they are universal but i ordered gen 2 specific which i thought would look identical to neo's. i actually like these better cause you can barely make out the stomp girp logo plastered on the mats and they appear to be a bit smaller.
but i like em'.

Back