Air cylinder length

maddogs_1340

Registered
Gretz,All
I have a serious question about air cylinders.
Here goes i used a 3inch stroke air cylinder for my airshifter the way i mounted it is like cycle-tek offers.But i think his cylinders are 2inch stroke.
Question is which one will shift faster?My 3inch or the 2inch.My 3inch setup is about 180 thousandths from bottoming out at full shift. Just curious if i should get a 2inch stroke or leave it be,it seems to be doing ok.
Thankx,maddog

3inch cylinder.jpg

I believe smaller diameter air cylinders should move faster under the same air pressure but will have less force. If you are only talking about stroke with the same diameter air cylinder, I don't think it matters as long as you have enough.

Gretz,jpsmith1
Yes i was referring to that.Same size cylinder but different strokes.
When I pull the shifter up till it can not move any more i still have roughly .180 thousandths of stroke left.
Was curious about the speed thing basically.
Thankx,maddog
P.S. Probably should of used a 2 inch stroke but i would have had to raise my shifter up beyond where it was set at the factory no biggie tho,I ended up dropping it about .220 thousandths but it still feels good from where it was at before.I think it looks ok.as it is you see more cylinder than you do cylinder rod lol.

Pull the shaft out and measure it. Find the mid point...that is where it should be when mounted. Has plenty of thu for moving the shifter down or up. I was on the longer end of my cylinder when mounted like your and having adjustable rearsets that are up and back. But now with the OSD conversion I mounted the cylinder off the OSD plate. NOW the cylinder is on the shorted end of the thru...but works greats.

DSC00399.jpg

never seen a a/s ram that long!!

Only good thing I would think is you can run your shifter low..I made a special clevis for just that reason..

Up on a stand and with the motor off,click threw all the gears and make sure it got enough throw..

Gretz,BigRod1300
Yes you are right about the throw of the cylinder. That is the reason i went with the longer stroke cylinder to make sure i had enough movement for down shifting.Which i do have enough for down shifting.As far as up shifting i still have movement left as well. And it does Shift very well.
The point i was trying to get at was which one was a quicker shift shorter cylinder with more rod sticking out or longer stroke cylinder with less rod sticking out.I assume cycle-tek uses a 1 1/16 dia.cylinder as well mine
is a 1 1\16 dia.
Thankx,maddog

Pull the shaft out and measure it. Find the mid point...that is where it should be when mounted. Has plenty of thu for moving the shifter down or up. I was on the longer end of my cylinder when mounted like your and having adjustable rearsets that are up and back. But now with the OSD conversion I mounted the cylinder off the OSD plate. NOW the cylinder is on the shorted end of the thru...but works greats.

Gretz,E-Racer
I know it's long. Does not look to bad in person lol. Yes i do have my shifter low ( Long ,skinny feet i have).But not far from where it was when i bought her.
Yes i did make sure it went through all gears after i mounted it.
And before i rode to test i tried all gears on the stand to make sure she went through all gears.
Thankx,maddog
never seen a a/s ram that long!!

Only good thing I would think is you can run your shifter low..I made a special clevis for just that reason..

Up on a stand and with the motor off,click threw all the gears and make sure it got enough throw..

SHort or long....they both move the exact same distance = the shifter lever is what moves to change gears. And your shifter lever is always the same movement....so the cylinder will and only can move that much with the shiftlever. Does that make sence??? SO both movments are the same time in speed? IF one does pull that same distance faster than the other...will not make much of a diff..like said its prob only 0.000001 sec of a diff.

Gretz,GPW
No i still have movement after the shift lever cycles. Got about 1/4 inch of
Rod movement left in the cylinder.I've had her out 3 times so far and shifted all gears at 11000rpm and so far no glitches ( yet lol ).
Maybe over the winter I'll get a 2inch cylinder or just leave well enough alone.
Thankx,maddog
P.S. For me to get exactly the way i would want it would need a 2.5 inch stroke cylinder but that would be a custom
order to bimba or humphrey.So i chose the 3 inch over the 2 inch because of the way i have my lever set and need the extra to be sure i was able to downshift safely lol.
Looks like up shifting would be an issue.

Last edited:
Back