Roadlok did its job today/last night

Awsome,

saved to favorites, first thing i will get when i get my BUSA.

Also, it would be great to add an alarm as well, as well as a bike cover, and chain it down to one of the building supports in the underground parking. ahaha. I know its overkill but , nobody would be stealing it then , heh.

no one came by tonight. i stayed up until 2-3. dozed off and woke up at 5. everything still in check.

I would put a note on the bike the next few nights that reads:

If you can read this you are on camera. Smile, *******.

p.s. Roadlock kicked your ass. Get a job.

nope. bike has been moved to a different location. they wont be able to find it now. like i said earlier, i have to ride a few minutes to get to it, but its locked up and safe.

Hey man, I was the guy that posted about the SV 1000 being stolen. The guy that had the bike stolen just read over this with me and is amazed that they did not get it from you, but glad.

He went up to Capitol City Cycle last night to look around and they told him there seems to be a crew running around with a truck that has a lift gate on it. That is how the thieves are getting away so fast.

Sherrif told us that 7 bikes in the past 2 weeks have been stolen in Macon. Keep an eye on your stuff.

thats why i did this on the trip

:thumbsup:

~6782770.jpg

You should Email the Guys at RoadLok and tell them your Story bro they like hearing stuff like this

I heard about a bike being stolen here in warner robins two days ago on here, it was the SV1000 i believe. well, the roads that the guy said it was stolen from, is right close to me....

Last night I get word that my buddies gsxr750 got stole from his front porch about 5-10 miles from here. same city, just further away.

last night i told my wife i was tired, and that i wasnt going to pull it inside, and just pull the truck up on the side of the carport to block it off....apparently this helped save it too.

I get home and after eating, i tell my wife i'm going to go ahead and wheel the bike in. I go to pull the pin on my roadlok, and when i do, the piece that connects to your keyring just falls off to the ground. thats weird.

pull it on out and grab the piece and go to put it on the ring again, and the ring is stretched out:
busa.jpg

i also notice my right mirror was folded in. i power it up and make sure all my things work, and ride it over to its new parking spot. upon getting there, i take a flashlight and look it over around the roadlok, and notice one bolt is missing from my brake caliper....

i remembered seeing a bolt laying on the concrete when i left....didnt think anything about it though....

went back and got the bolt a few minutes later and when i got back to the bike, in horror i found it was the missing caliper bolt.

apparently they tried to move the bike, the lock was already set and my handlebars were locked, so they tried to tug it out, which is what stretched the crap out of my ring.

they also apparently had tools and started trying to take off the roadlok, but apparently they figured out the rear axle had to come out....

thank you roadlok. you helped save my bike:bowdown:

im going back outside to see if anything has been moved or tampered with elsewise. but i still have my bike....and its stored away safe now. i have to ride a little to get to it, but its safe.

Too bad that you did not have a scorpion alarm system on. Than when they tugged it, it would had went off....than you could come out in time for target practice on moving target(s).

friggen thieves:firing::firing::firing: glad you still have her tho, finally a good ending story...

Glad the thieves didn't get the bike!

However, in my opinion having a RoadLok gives a false sense of security. Most bikes are stolen by a few guys lifting them and shoving them in a van, and then driving away. Needless to say, the van or its license plate is most likely stolen so even getting a plate on the van is not going to help. I actually witnessed this scenario a few years back on my neighgor's bike. He heard his bike's alarm go off, ran out with a baseball bat, the suckers dropped the bike in the middle of the road, jumped in their van and drove away. If he was late by another 15 sec, his bike would've been gone. BTW, it was ZX11. $400 worth of damage.

First line of defense starts with a simple statement: "Out of site - out of mind". I.e. they don't see your bike, they can't take it. This means parking the bike out of sight where no one can see it. This also means watching who follows you home, and if you feel you are being followed, stop, pretend you are fiddling with the bike, call the cops, and proceed slowly until the cops check who ever follows you. This also means not displaying your bike proudly in front of your residence - regardless of whether you are washing it or not.

Second line of defense. Let's say you have no choice but to park the bike in the public area. Same principle applies as in the first line of defense. Put the cover on your bike, and make it look old - splash some dirt or whatever to make it look like a crappy old cover. The best bike with an old looking crappy cover will look ugly and less attractive. What is more important here, that no thief will steal a bike without knowing what it is. Few thieves walk around. They drive slowly and assess their potential targets. So, they have to come out of the vehichle and to the bike, lift the cover and take a peek. This is an extra effort for thieves, and combined with a crappy looking cover, will turn away some of them. Additionally, I would strongly recommend to get a Dowco cover which has a built in alarm in it (I think it's called Guardian, but not sure). An alarm is hidden inside the cover and has a pin which goes into the alarm and a string which is connected with a pin on one end and attaches to the bike (e.g. brake disc) on another end. Once the thief pulls the cover, the pin gets pulled and the alarm sounds. It's impossible to stop the alarm until the pin is back in the unit (which is hidden in the hidden pocket inside the cover). It is so loud that it hurts your ears. That will scare the heck out of any thief, and will wake up the neighbors. Keep in mind, the thief is having so much trouble and does not yet know what kind of bike is sitting under this crappy cover.

Third line of defense. The bike has to be attached to a permanent structure with a quality chain, or something similar so it cannot be lifted and taken away. Yes the chain can be cut, melted, etc. but it takes extra time and requires special tools which makes the whole process much less practical. Hide the chain under cover so it is not obvious the bike is chained. This way, the thieves may attempt to grab the bike quickly, only to realize it's not going anywhere.

Forth line of defense. An alarm with proximity sensor and a pager. It's very good when you are not too far from the bike, but useless if there is no one around.

Fifth line of defense. Be inventive. For example, take a bunch of empty cans, tie them with a few strings, and hide them somewhere close to the bike. Attach the string holding the cans somewhere on the bike. When the string is cut or breaks, a bunch of cans fall down and make a lot of sound every time you move them. You get the idea. It has to be something that is not sold on every corner, something that will surprise thieves. Yet another complication, more reason for them to pass on your ride. Another example, a primitive tape recorder which is playing sounds of your choice once activated (by a pulled string, or something similar). You can pre-record something nasty - whatever we all want to say should happen to the thieves. However, make sure this cannot be triggered accidentally by your wife/girlfriend.:rofl:

Final line of defense. More advanced (and more expensive) approaches: LoJack, video cameras, tracking systems, etc. If you can install video cameras where you park your bike, it's important that you can capture license plates of passing vehicles. Few thieves walk around. They drive slowly in their own cars or stolen vehicles, and assess their targets. No officer will refuse to check a suspicious license plate. You may even help someone to recover a recently stolen van. This helps in preventing a theft, and can help in recovery.

I thought it was important to have a systematic approach rather than focus on a single measure. And yes, I had a little bit of time on my hands. :laugh:

Back