Two-up Riding Question

Cuffee

Donating Member
Registered
I got a question....What is the biggest woman (in terms of weight) you have ever ridden on the back of your bike?

I am just curious as to how the additional weight in the rear will affect the Busa and its performance.

Thanks,
Donald

I guess the better question is how big is the person you want to ride with you?

I guess the better question is how big is the person you want to ride with you?
Well I was trying not to be that specific. However, the woman that would like to ride with me is close to 200lbs. My weight is 215lbs. That's approxiamately 415lbs. What's your opinion regarding riding two-up?

Our combined weight is about 430lbs and we ride 2 up all the time with no problems at all.:thumbsup: Have had it up to 230 Kph which the Busa did with ease,:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Does this bike make my butt look big?...definately a trick question.:poke:

Re: Two-up Ridding Question

Well I was trying not to be that specific. However, the woman that would like to ride with me is close to 200lbs. My weight is 215lbs. That's approxiamately 415lbs. What's your opinion regarding riding two-up?

You will be fine. If you have never ridden your bike 2-up, I will make some recommendations. First, double check tire pressures and chain tension. Also, you can play with the suspension if you want to, but not required unless your bike is lowered. Then I would suggest you at least raise back to stock height depending on the type of riding you want to do. I have scraped peg feelers with my wife on the back. Second, your bike will respond differently with a passenger. She will be a little more work, but it is really not bad once you get used to riding two up. Slow down in the turns until you get the feel of the bike, how it responds, and how much throttle makes the smoothest transition through the turns. Remember, you want to slow down before the turn, and power through smoothly.
You also need to establish some rules and signals. How much seat time has your passenger had? She cant be back there moving all over the place. She also will need to learn how to lean with you and fight you in the corners. If you lean one way and she leans the other, then makes a sudden move, it can be disaster. My wife and I use signals, two taps on the knee means hang on, I am about to boogie. A slap on the helmet means , boogie time is over, slow down! Her taping me on the side means go faster, etc. Ask anyone that has ridden behind me, they know when I am about to pass or take off by watching my wife and the signals we use. :laugh:
Also, if this is the first time she has ever been on a bike, DO NOT SCARE her unless you want the first time to be the last. If you your knees or butt hurts, her will also, take breaks and let her stretch. If you truely want to share riding with someone, do it responsibly and have FUN! :beerchug: I know I may have missed some stuff and I am sure others will help me fill in the blanks. Oh........if she is going to be a permanent rider with you, get an intercom. That also helps. If not, an MP3 player will make the ride more fun.

300x200-images-stories-PhotosOfTheWeek-20090427-24.jpg

CAYZYRQT.jpg

DSC_8089.jpg

post-6-19446-IMG_1391__Large_.jpg

Attachments

• dragon2.bmp
    709.8 KB · Views: 1,295
It will feel a lot different, but you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well I was trying not to be that specific. However, the woman that would like to ride with me is close to 200lbs. :shocked: My weight is 215lbs. That's approxiamately 415lbs. What's your opinion regarding riding two-up?

Your good to go though:poke:

Re: Two-up Ridding Question

You will be fine. If you have never ridden your bike 2-up, I will make some recommendations. First, double check tire pressures and chain tension. Also, you can play with the suspension if you want to, but not required unless your bike is lowered. Then I would suggest you at least raise back to stock height depending on the type of riding you want to do. I have scraped peg feelers with my wife on the back. Second, your bike will respond differently with a passenger. She will be a little more work, but it is really not bad once you get used to riding two up. Slow down in the turns until you get the feel of the bike, how it responds, and how much throttle makes the smoothest transition through the turns. Remember, you want to slow down before the turn, and power through smoothly.
You also need to establish some rules and signals. How much seat time has your passenger had? She cant be back there moving all over the place. She also will need to learn how to lean with you and fight you in the corners. If you lean one way and she leans the other, then makes a sudden move, it can be disaster. My wife and I use signals, two taps on the knee means hang on, I am about to boogie. A slap on the helmet means , boogie time is over, slow down! Her taping me on the side means go faster, etc. Ask anyone that has ridden behind me, they know when I am about to pass or take off by watching my wife and the signals we use. :laugh:
Also, if this is the first time she has ever been on a bike, DO NOT SCARE her unless you want the first time to be the last. If you your knees or butt hurts, her will also, take breaks and let her stretch. If you truely want to share riding with someone, do it responsibly and have FUN! :beerchug: I know I may have missed some stuff and I am sure others will help me fill in the blanks. Oh........if she is going to be a permanent rider with you, get an intercom. That also helps. If not, an MP3 player will make the ride more fun.

Thanks for the information. We will be heading to Williamsburg for Labor Day weekend. I am going to load my bike in the truck and on Sunday morning I am going to take her for a ride to VA Beach. She is going to love it!

Thanks everyone for the information! I will let you know how everything turns out.
Take care,
Donald

wheelies sure get easy....

With Karen on the back @ 112# , hammering the throttle it will carry the front tire easily into/through 3rd gear so watch yourself... you may not even realize the thing is flying the tire... She gets a giant kick out of this when we get on the freeway...

My advice to you; "is just get out there and do it" alot of people can tell you there story but forget to weigh in the years of experience riding. Really on a Busa 415 isn't much just some minor adjustments on your bike. Read owners manual! You see heavier people riding smaller Harley's all the time....LOL:laugh:

120 lb passenger no problem with the bike stock an slightly lowered. The bike didn't feel her.

DSC00055.JPG

Back