Rocky Mountain Run

chain

Registered
The adventure begins: I leave the Omaha metro shortly after 6:00 a.m. this past Saturday with full tank and bags. Five ~10 minute stops for a splash of fuel, drink from a bottle of water, and nibble off a Power Bar from the tank bag are the only deviation from the task at hand, to knock down the 571 miles from doorstep to doorstep enroute to my good friends’ home in Estes Park, Colorado, some 7,800 feet above sea level.

Eight hours and 35 minutes later I pull into their driveway not the ragged, exhausted newbie to quasi distance riding that I thought I would have been, but rather a totally energized motorcycle enthusiast who was beaming at his accomplishment.

This ride bested my previous one day record of 330 miles, so needless to say I was excited. Stock saddle, no bike shorts, no Airhawk, no nothing. Just Levis with Arai and Tour Master gear covering the rest. Honestly, I could have gone another 150, maybe 200 miles had I needed to.

The last 20 or so miles up the mountain to Estes Park is through the Big Thompson Canyon, HWY 34, a churning, twisting minefield of a two laner that punishes dimwits and hamfists (there were two sportbike crashes while I was there, an F3 which low-sided when the rider made a pass across double yellow and a new R1 that was hit head-on when our hero did the same thing around a decreasing radius corner and ran wide).

Dozens of blind corners, a few intersecting driveways, some animal crossings, and occasional falling rock conspire to make for a somewhat hazardous stretch of roadway if you’re running too brisk a pace or aren’t paying attention. My hosts did not have to warn me to be prudent when riding this road.

What a blast of a trip out though! Alone with my thoughts, the busa made the perfect travel companion. Tractor beam acceleration, roominess and comfort, and good range (at least during the occasions I could keep my hand from dipping into the prodigious power – have you ever ridden Interstate 80 in the Nebraska panhandle and into eastern Wyoming? Not a soul there to see you speed  ).

Saturday night in Estes would be punctuated with the savoring of several “Laughing Lab†Scottish Ales (brewed in nearby Colorado Springs) . . .

all_coholic.gif

. . . the consumption of some of the best homemade Italian sausages, pasta and sauce this gentleman has ever been privy to, and an hour long vegetation in the deck-top Jacuzzi overlooking Long’s Peak, the 14,255 foot tall monarch of the Rocky Mountain National Park.

In a most ironic twist of fate, my friends Bob and Audrey were involved in a serious accident in Big Thompson Canyon Monday night while coming home from Denver in their now totaled minivan. Bob has to make frequent trips to the big city for prostate cancer treatments (which he's beating, hoorah!) and he and his wife are both tired, so tired in fact the troopers believe Audrey nodded off when she went off the pavement and wrecked.

sad.gif

Thank God the road sign which crashed through the windshield on the passenger side didn’t hit Bob in the head. Otherwise, this post would be of a much different tone than the one I sit and type now. They’re home from the hospital already and are on the mend, but instead of me being an extra body around the house, it was sort of collectively decided that I’d cut my vacation and depart early with a promise to return on the bike again.

Still, I had a whale of time on my four day excursion. I think what I’ll do is break this thread down via atypically abbreviated captions with some photo attachments to tell the tale.

Stand by, more to come . . .

IMG_0002.JPG

A shot of the road leading out of the area called Black Canyon where Bob & Audrey live. Nice, eh?

IMG_0012.JPG

These shots are from Monday's ride through the Rocky Moutain National Park and up onto Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuously paved road in the United States. Once above the treeline, it's a veritable lunar landscape. Nothing can survive up here including tourists who wander too close to the edge of the road. (Guard rails are conspicuously absent and, yes, that's a sheer phocking drop off to sure death right on the other side of my big red busa!)

Achingly beautiful, cold, windy, work to ride because of the gusts and what this sort of elevation does to your vehicle. Even the mighty busa seemed a little winded at times.

More enroute.

<!--EDIT|opdsgt
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1096463808 -->

IMG_0014.JPG

A shot from the gorgeous, placid lake in Granby, Colorado on the far side of the Rocky Mountain National Park (this is on the back side of Trail Ridge after I came down the "hill" as the locals call it).

Here's a bit of triva for you. This is the site of the whack job who welded himself inside a bulldozer in June and laid waste to the town before offing himself. I couldn't find a single pile of rubble to photograph . . . they must have really worked hard to mend the wounds here.

'dozer madman link

IMG_0019.JPG

Nice photos of HWY 72 near Nederland and the Roosevelt National Forest. Talk about a well maintained piece of asphalt! Surfing up and down on this sticky blacktop was about as good as it gets, save for the odd RV or SUV straggler which I had to dispatch with a well timed pass.

IMG_0026.JPG

A very old Catholic church north of Nederland, Colorado. I took notes on what I did and saw, but cannot for the life of me find the name of this place in my scratchings. The Pope once stayed here I'm told.

IMG_0030.JPG

This shot was taken just down the road apiece from the church. A really cute girl riding bareback on a large chesnut quarter-horse came by and asked me if I was okay while I was off the bike here. I think the ensuing thousand-yard stare and creepy grin scared her and she rode off.

IMG_0031.JPG

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. Steven King stayed here years ago and found inspiration to write The Shining. While the original movie was filmed at a joint in Montana IIRC, the made for TV rendition was in fact filmed right here in town at this ancient resort.

Note: The wind was bad, hence the fuzzy quality about the photo. Too lazy to break out my tripod for this one as I was close to home base.

IMG_0034.JPG

Sunrise (rise, not set!) the next day, no kidding. This is what I was looking at from the deck while sitting in the hot tub, sipping coffee and petting the family dog, Kacee. Awesome stuff.

IMG_0038.JPG

Well, that's it, a four day whirlwind trip to the Rockies and back.

The Hayabusa is a great road bike, vastly underrated. The only mods I did for the trip included a 3/4" Genmar riser, a Puig DB screen and a $10 Cramp Buster for the throttle.

Now I'm eyeballing a run to the Ozarks next month.
biggrin.gif

Later all...

Sarge

OPDSGT......excellent pics...I too believe this monster of a bike we drive is not only good for out of this world speed and acceleration, but also for enjoying our wonderful country. One of my biggest goals while I have my Hayabusa will be to ride from Chicago to the Canadian Rockies (Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper etc...) and back down thru Colorado at some point.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the Ozark pics.

Very good coverage, killer ride I bet. I would love to do that sometime, jus' take off and ride for days. Love the pics, beutiful country.
wink.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif

opdsgt.....lived the first 30 years of my life in Denver, your pics damn near brought tears. Good job! If you get down to the Ozarks, look me up & I'll show you around. Very beautiful down here too, just in a different (warmer) way....
cool.gif

Very nice pics, makes me think I need to ride up to the mountains this weekend and get some scenery since I am so close to the mountains I almost take them for granted.

Back