Removing peg weights

Diebold

Registered
Howdy,
In an attempt to cure my "hot heels" I began to wonder how removing the weights from the pegs would affect the bike. Has anyone removed the weights from under their pegs? Thanks in advance.

yeah, I ride with motorcycle boots with thick heels and I still get burned by the end of my 25 minute commute in the afternoon. I have Yoshi carbon fiber cans and the tubes under my pegs are pretty big and close to my heels. I've thought of wrapping my exhaust or putting on a sleeve.

i removed them and also took the rubber off the rear pegs(they are knurled under the rubber) and here is what they look like, also 26k miles on the bus since i did this and my feet don't slip and legs don't cramp

after removing the wieghts and the rubber...you have to file or grind down the lip that sticks up, I didi this with a file in 2 minutes

1.jpg

2.jpg

Where's your exhaust? I have a big pipe on both sides that is right under my pegs. I like that mod, though. I might grind mine down, too

"hot heels" ....well this is a new one. That must suck if your heels/feet are getting that hot & uncomfortable in only 25 mins. I hope you find something that works for you.

Depending on how aggressive you ride, you may want to be careful fully removing the peg stems. As they are there for a reason. Otherwise you may find yourself scraping your lowers.....or worse.

Good luck.

Where's your exhaust? I have a big pipe on both sides that is right under my pegs. I like that mod, though. I might grind mine down, too
I have a boz brothers b2 slash cut exhaust so on the right side the exhaust exits right by my foot...but it never gets hot at all..btw believe it or not there is a baffle and spark arrestor in there too

also you see in the pics I cut the old exhaust hangers off and polished the pegs and sets as well

100_1450.jpg

100_1451.jpg

100_1452.jpg

100_1453.jpg

Last edited:
"hot heels" ....well this is a new one. That must suck if your heels/feet are getting that hot & uncomfortable in only 25 mins. I hope you find something that works for you.

Depending on how aggressive you ride, you may want to be careful fully removing the peg stems. As they are there for a reason. Otherwise you may find yourself scraping your lowers.....or worse.

Good luck.

Thanks, bro. I will leave the peg stems on, just in case. It gets hot as hell here in Dallas in the afternoons. I will take some pics tonight of the pipes and you can see just how close they are on both sides. My boot heels never melt but it feels like fire ants in my boots biting away. I can sometimes put my feet on the back pegs and they immediately feel better. But when I need to brake, shift, and the like then I prepare myself for the heat.

Thanks, bro. I will leave the peg stems on, just in case. It gets hot as hell here in Dallas in the afternoons. I will take some pics tonight of the pipes and you can see just how close they are on both sides. My boot heels never melt but it feels like fire ants in my boots biting away. I can sometimes put my feet on the back pegs and they immediately feel better. But when I need to brake, shift, and the like then I prepare myself for the heat.

Wow, what a bummer! This sounds like it's really effecting your riding. Personally...I don't think removing the peg stems would help you in this case anyhow.

I think there are some other underlying issues making this so severe. Not sure what they are....
But keep doing some research and something should come up that will help you.
Like you mentioned...maybe a "wrap" or some sort of "shield".

This is purely speculation, so take it as such

Have you ever put your freezing fingers under hot water? Same basic feeling that you're describing. It feels like your hand is on fire and that you're getting bit by ants. Now, I know you're feet aren't freezing here in big D in the middle of summer but what if it's a two part problem that your brain interprets incorrectly.

Part one: Your feet are falling asleep due to peg placement coupled with your height. I'd be willing to bet you're 6ft or over as this is somewhat common for the taller crowd. The fact that things start to feel better instantly when you move your feet to your passenger pegs screams to me that this has to be part of the issue. If the heat has gotten through your boots to your foot, it would take a bit before the portion nearest your foot would cool - it would not be immediate. However if your feet were just barely asleep, you would get instant relief.

Part two: When your feet fall asleep it's due to a lack of oxygen (read: blood flow). If the blood isn't flowing, the blood that pools will be cooled very rapidly by the air flowing past your upper and lower leg. This in turn gives you that "frozen" sensation without actually realizing it's in effect. Add to the mix that you have deprived your feet of oxygen and it's hard for your brain and the nerves in your feet to make sense of what you're feeling.

I'd be willing to bet you need to move your pegs to give your legs/feet some relief. I could be completely wrong but that's my hunch.

Good luck regardless, that can't be much fun at all! If you need help with anything, I'm in DFW as well... PM me.

Thanks bro. I'm pretty sure it's not in my head though. It doesn't happen in the morning when it's cooler although it's the same length of ride. Only in the heat of the afternoon. Also, I find the peg placement less aggressive than on my last ride, a Ducati SC. I need to snap some pics of my boots on the pegs and you can see just how close they are to the pipes.

make sure your not lacing them up any tighter then necessary... I know my pipes are stainless steel and I can touch the megaphone without getting burnt....my boot will eave a mark on the pipe but not actually melt or anything like that

Back