stoppie gone bad injuries

2hip

Registered
Guys, any personal experience or access to information of these guys who are doing stoppies and it went bad? If you spend anytime at all on motorcycle web sites you see all of these videos and pictures of stoppies gone bad. The one picture that is etched into my mind forever is the guy on a sportsbike, without a helmet, doing a stoppie and his left fork disintegrates. He has this perplexed look on his face (like wtf). I can't imagine what happens to these guys. This guy is doing anywhere from 15-30 mph and the back end of the bike is going to whip his sorry arse to the ground...most likely in a pile-driver fashion. So, my question to you guys...what kind of injuries do these guys sustain...kicked in the teeth from a horse, dead, spinal cord injuries...what? 2hip

never had any problem with my stoppies... just use nothing but rear brakes

Kyle Wood has a video out called How to Stoppie. In the video he explains how to dismount a stoppie when it tips over. Kyle says he practiced bailing off over and over until it was a built in response. Kyle would stoppie up to the edge of the pavement and intentionally give it to much brake in order to flip the bike over into the grass. He would bail off to the side and roll. This avoided the 400 pound bike from pile driving him into a mushroom.

So short answer is, there is a way to abandon a stoppie gone bad without causing serious damage. How many guys intentionally do this for practice, probably not very many. But then Kyle is a notch up on most of the guys doing stoppies.

I know this sounds like a dumb a$$ thing to do in order to perfect a stoppie dismount but if I were making my living at stunting, it would probably make sense.

Guys, any personal experience or access to information of these guys who are doing stoppies and it went bad? If you spend anytime at all on motorcycle web sites you see all of these videos and pictures of stoppies gone bad. The one picture that is etched into my mind forever is the guy on a sportsbike, without a helmet, doing a stoppie and his left fork disintegrates. He has this perplexed look on his face (like wtf). I can't imagine what happens to these guys. This guy is doing anywhere from 15-30 mph and the back end of the bike is going to whip his sorry arse to the ground...most likely in a pile-driver fashion. So, my question to you guys...what kind of injuries do these guys sustain...kicked in the teeth from a horse, dead, spinal cord injuries...what? 2hip

You mean this one?

Re__FW__This_Is_Gonna_Hurt_____4_.jpg

Kyle Wood has a video out called How to Stoppie. In the video he explains how to dismount a stoppie when it tips over. Kyle says he practiced bailing off over and over until it was a built in response. Kyle would stoppie up to the edge of the pavement and intentionally give it to much brake in order to flip the bike over into the grass. He would bail off to the side and roll. This avoided the 400 pound bike from pile driving him into a mushroom.

So short answer is, there is a way to abandon a stoppie gone bad without causing serious damage. How many guys intentionally do this for practice, probably not very many. But then Kyle is a notch up on most of the guys doing stoppies.

I know this sounds like a dumb a$$ thing to do in order to perfect a stoppie dismount but if I were making my living at stunting, it would probably make sense.

Makes a ton of sense, another thing that would help would be learning on a dirt bike (with slicks or sport tires) because buying replacement parts would have me giving up on that approach quickly. When I started learning I went real slow and did it in steps. 6" then a 1' etc, etc. I'm still no Kyle Woods.

Back on topic, I have seen two broken wrist / arms and terrible face road rash. Another involved a traffic accident with a van. And my closest call was trying to impress some girls and getting too vertical to come down quickly and rolling out into the road but I got very lucky as the light had already turned for me to go.

Last edited:

I hope he can do it better than this. Where's his helmet?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least that guy had a helmet (and jacket) on, the guy beside him didn't have either....

I would like to get a pic of me doing one anyone here good with photo shop???

:laugh:

Cause I admire their effort dedication an skill but dam trashing bikes can get expensive without a sponsor:whistle:

yup, that be the one....I think this guy either died, became a parapalegic (spelling?) or had his arse handed to later in a handbag...incredible photograph...you can tell by the stunt setup on his bike that he probably was pretty advanced stunter with an unfortunated gear failure....bad day at the office..2hip

Back