painting/powdercoating Busa wheels

aka Danksy

Registered
I have seen this done on a lot of other bikes, R1's CBRs etc.

painting the rims gold, very much like the GEN II

are they interchangeable wheels? or is painting the only way to go on a genI

anyone done this?

bogieweb.jpg

wow, no replys..
yea you can powdercoat them, they will be very durable.. I dont have an idea on what they would charge, but if they were painted you would have a much higher selection of colors you could get a close if not exact match. if the paint quality is high I believe they will last.. I can only say this because I did these wheels, I shot them in epoxy first then sealer the bc/cc
real nice high gloss, just use some spray on wax. (EAGLE ONE) and the will be easy to get the brake dust off.. now these wheels have seen many tire changes, (someone likes to do burnouts) they only time they got a chip (ACUALLY2) in it was several days after I did them, a careless buddy installed new tires. that was the last chip in them, it was also the last time he mounted tires for me... and with paint, one small dab of paint and it's gone.

y1pgF8GJI0hkMEr5db08BZcnGjVUyfgfwvdgjgmO1gWB1SANwUXQ2Sm8BwueVGMq6v4VAJjr32MjIMGUStEJ7jYkA.jpg

Last edited:
ok we are on the same page what product line did you use I like the gloss finish that came out on yours.

This will be a part of my winter project (f****** new england)

hmmm it seems there website would be better recieved if it weren't written in morse code haha.

so you just used epoxy based paint and then a clear sealer?

I used the epoxy to get good adhesion. 1 coat of epoxy followed by 1 coat of primer.. scuff the surface real good, it's to much of a pain to do this with sandpaper.. clean the surface depending on what brand of paint dictates how many coats of base.. then your ready after proper flash time to lay the clear.. you need to be pretty decent with a guy when you shoot the clear on wheels that are tricky to get into every corner and edge.. you'll end up with runs or dry spray.. you got to know yea gun..

If you choose Powder Coating, you should be able to get those done for around $ 75.00 each. Just like paint any color can be matched in powder, but a custom match drives the price up considerably. Check out the colors at http://powderbuythepound also check out the customer photos and the "what have you been working on" threads in the forum. They have lots of photos of bike parts, especially wheels.

I had mine powdercoated to match the silver, & the lips polished. When I went down I broke the rear wheel, so it is currently black again. Here is a before shot.

Busa%20Back.JPG

My wheels are powder coated...along with a few other parts:

FrontWheel.JPG

RearWheel.JPG

FrontWheel.JPG

RearWheel.JPG

Is it really only 75 a wheel???

That seems so reasonable compared to chrome.

I think I want marchesini gold on my black/purple 04, any thoughts or opinions?

I don't have the 2 large to drop on the real ones ha ha
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup $150 a set is what i charge.. But thats for single solid in stock colors only..
Gold is a metallic which requires a clear coat bringing the total too $225.. Its also one of the hardest color to match.. :thumbsup:

???
OK, for two of you, two questions how do you powder coat a wheel and then polish the lip? Did the powder coater do it or a seperate polishing outfit or do it yourself?

Same question for the chromed edge. Was it chromed and then powder coated? How as this done?

???
OK, for two of you, two questions how do you powder coat a wheel and then polish the lip? Did the powder coater do it or a seperate polishing outfit or do it yourself?

Same question for the chromed edge. Was it chromed and then powder coated? How as this done?

Polish first then powder or mask the chrome that you want to remain chrome.

Back