chain breaker tool help

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
i havent used one before and i bought this one from harbor frieght for 10 bucks... i looked over all it included but have a few questions. the pin with the spring and then the ball berring and then the inside screw was all assembled together with the grey pin seperate. now i see according to the DIY pinned thread a similar tool but he also had a "push plate" for putting the master link back on.. then what did he "mash" the pins with to hold it together. and my question is 2 part.
1 what do i use to compress the plate on the pins.
2 how do i set it up so i can "mash" the pins so it holds master link together?

DSCF2896.jpg

DSCF2897.jpg

That looks like a budget unit. :whistle: Generally speaking the "plate" goes on easily by hand, then you peen (mushroom) the ends of the pins to retain the plate, safer than the old school "master links" with clips. I don't bother using the press to "break" the chain, Just cut it off with an angle grinder. I'll try to find a link to Motion Pro, they have the pics I think. Be careful, you don't want your chain wadding up.

Last edited:
As above.
The master link you have should have 2 E shaped spacers that go between the 2 plates when you peen the end of the pins. Then they come out, and that stops the O Rings from getting mashed.
Does yours have those?

again..what do i use to "preen" the ends? and i havent bought the chain yet that is in 2 weeks out of that check

is the gray pin the "preen" pin for the rivots? or as seen in the DIY link you gave me there is a hex head with a ball berring...am i supposed to put that ball berring on the end of the rivot and "preen" it with that.. again thanks for the help i understand i dont have a hundred dollar tool...

is the gray pin the "preen" pin for the rivots? or as seen in the DIY link you gave me there is a hex head with a ball berring...am i supposed to put that ball berring on the end of the rivot and "preen" it with that.. again thanks for the help i understand i dont have a hundred dollar tool...

I would guess that with your tool that is how it works.
The Motion Pro has a shaft with a round end, but the ball bearing should work.
It has to have an open side when you push the old pins out and then a closed side when you press the pins to peen them.
Other than that your tool should work.

Not sure Chris, sorry. It's plausable that the ball bearing pressed into the end of the pins through use of the press would complete the peening. Real improtant not to smoosh the o-rings, Master link needs to run as smooth as the rest of the chain. I never replace a chain without doing the sprockets same tiime. Perhaps the mfg has the instructions for the set.

the extra plate that comes with the new master link on all ek chains 3rd picture shows you the plates 4th picture shows you how you put them in between the 2 links on top of the o-ring before you pin togther...after you pin them together take the 2 plates out..all they do is insure you dont pin it together to much and pinch the o-rings

new.JPG

old.JPG

100_1426.jpg

100_1427.jpg

hope that help you because I lost one of my o-rings in my carpet when I opened up my master link bag to take these pictures for you...:poke:

oh by the way these are considered x-rings not o-rings but serve the same purpose

100_1428.jpg

100_1429.jpg

100_1430.jpg

100_1431.jpg

100_1430b.jpg

100_1431b.jpg

Last edited:
Chris there is a dimension for peening (staking) the master link pins. I did not have a press so I made one. Take a "c" clamp big enough to go over the master link. On the screw side take a dremel and grind a divot just deep enough to put a dab of grease in then place a small ball bearing in it. The bearing needs to be just big enough to stake or mushroom the pin to the proper dimension. Now you have a press. Peening as you say technically is called staking and when you mushroom the ends of the pins "staking" you want to mic them and keep the mushroomed end between .215-.230. Any more you'll get cracks in the staking any less and you risk the keeper coming off. Just TAKE YOUR TIME. I was lucky and have a Handyman Hardware who has many different sice "C" clamps and ball bearings. Your biggest challenge is getting a "C" clamp sized correctly so you can use the Tee Bar to turn the screw in without bending the Tee Bar. Make sure you place those "E" clips between the side plate and the chain. That is an automatic measurement on the master link width and it eliminates smashing the O" rins. Very important. No "O" ring or smashed it will allow the roller grease from the pin to work it's way out. All said and done with two chain bikes I'm calling Pashnit for the Motion Pro system. Hope this helps get you through today. PM me if you're not sure and I'll give you my phone number and walk you through it. Wardie

I have 2 extra side plates for getting them together if u need them i can mail to you 574 255 3714 home 574 904 8146 cell or pm me

100_1426.jpg

The pin with the spring is the pin remover. (pushes the chain pins out. The spring backs the pin out of the chain link as you loosen the push bolt.)
The pin without the spring is the flare tool. (mushrooms the new rivets on the new chain)
There should be a small indent in the tops of both of those pins. There should also be an indent in the face of the push bolt. The ball goes there. Put a few drops of oil in the indents and put the ball between them. This will help the push bolts work smoothly.

Follow the instructions from the Motion Pro link and you will have it replaced in no time. :beerchug:

Last edited:
The pin with the spring is the pin remover. (pushes the chain pins out)
The pin without the spring is the flare tool. (mushrooms the new rivets on the new chain)
There should be a small indent in the tops of both of those pins. There should also be an indent in the face of the push bolt. The ball goes there. Put a few drops of oil in the indents and put the ball between them. This will help the push bolts work smoothly.

Follow the instructions from the Motion Pro link and you will have it replaced in no time. :beerchug:
ok disregard my first two drawings and go with what he said on the tool portion of the install...lol

ok disregard my first two drawings and go with what he said on the tool portion of the install...lol

NP. I used to have one like this until I made the mistake of loaning it to a friend. I replaced it with the Motion Pro unit, and I don't loan it out any more.

Dang it, Chris. I was ready to jump all over this one, but you got plenty of great help with great pics too! You should have no problemo and +1000 on those new sprokets. That's the :rulez:. Have a Good 'un, my brother! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Back