New LSR event

John,
My motor is stock. More importantly my head is stock meaning its only a matter of time before I spit a shim or drop a valve. I need to pull it apart this winter and put valves and springs in (and perhaps a nice set of pistons?)

Also, I usually log most drag strip runs and know exactly where the motor is, but for some reason was unable to get a complete log at Loring. Too much vibration or the O2 sensor was overheating.

Most importantly, I'm a big Puss!:laugh:

How did CommutaBusa do??

Greg,
Congrats on Deans 232 mph pass. Nicely built bike. Very nice meeting you.

Loring0809C.JPG
Hey it was a blast meeting you, you are a smart mofo...wish you lived closer sure we could make a monster. I was trying to have fun admist the stress, next time I and the bike will be better prepared. Nice pic!

so here's my update. I'll post more later because I've got a ton of work to get done this week. I’ll post some pics later as well.

It was an unbelievable event! :bowdown: Saturday was more like trial runs for many. Sunday was the day. The conditions were nice n cool with the best tail wind you could ever hope for. Just about everyone I know bested there pre-Loring speeds by 10 or so mph. :thumbsup:

I had finally gotten a stock clutch assembly borrowed from a good friend on Wednesday night. I had to find enough disks and fibers that were in decent enough shape to build the clutch pack. At 02:30 Thursday morning I had it all together in the bike. I wanted to be out the door by 06:00 but I over slept and we left a little late.

Once at the track on Friday morning we unloaded the bike and fired it up. It was running fine and the clutch worked. Tech was next and that went fine. I just rode the bike at low speeds down the runway to see how the track felt and get acclimated where everything was. At a low speed the finish line is that much further away. The shut down is even longer and the trip back to the pits is more than 2 miles away. For any Bonne folks this is a laugh since they're return ride is so much longer. Everything seemed fine with the bike and Saturdays first run has to be kept in the 175mph range so I figured it'll be a good opportunity to feel the bike out with the stock clutch and in the event of a catastrophic failure I would be a little more prepared for it.

Saturday morning I went for my run and my bike was completely blowing through the clutch. As soon as I would lay into the throttle the clutch couldn’t get the power down to the wheel. There was no reason to to fry this clutch so I coasted through the traps somewhere in the 1-teen range.

Back at the pits, a buddy of mine Todd had a set of new Barnet springs he passed along to me. I swapped three of these stiffer springs in and was ready to give it another go. Unfortunately my bike had other ideas. My bike just wouldn’t start. This really frustrated me since the only thing I did was make a mechanical change to the clutch which has no bearing as far as the engine starting.

Since it had to be an electrical problem the last resort was to disconnect every sensor that feeds into my logger. Problem solved and the bike fired up no problem. I took it for a slow ride through the pit area and the clutch felt a lot better too.

Up at the start line, ready to go and at around 3200 rpm the engine keeps cutting out for a millisecond or so. Just long enough for it to fall flat on its face and then come back on power and try and buck me off. Thinking about it I think I might have good possibilities at being a rodeo bronco rider. Lol

So I couldn’t get the engine to go past 32-3400 rpm. I tried in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to get past that rpm in case it was some way GPS related but it just wasn’t working. I shifted into 6th and just rolled through the traps at around 3k rpm with a speed in the 120’s. I was pretty frustrated at this point and decided to hang things up and just concentrate on helping others at the event.

Didn’t know Greg was planning on going to the event. I was talking to the cheeseman and he did say that Greg took the time to introduce himself and to try and settle their differences. I did here that someone had a turboed 14 that had boost leaks every where but I never did put 2 and 2 together.

All in all I was just thrilled to be at this first event. I think everyone I know set a personal best at this event. Hands down, for pavement land speed racing, I would say Loring is the place to be.

I wanted to meet Draco but without name tags on everyone it would have been difficult to figure out who is who. I have commuta-busa written on my wind screen so I'm easy to spot. I didn't see any busa with Draco on it so I was out of luck trying to discover him in that manor. There were more than a few orange and black Gen 2's around and I wasn't about to walk up to each rider asking "are you Draco"? :laugh: Maybe we'll meet in Sept. at Maxton. :thumbsup:

1st pic... from the start line

2nd pic... from the finish line

it's so far away all you can see is the mirage off the pavement. :bowdown:

P8015993.jpg

P8016042.jpg

Congrats everyone! :beerchug:

Sorry about your luck Commuta...

My only questions is, if you didn't ride your own bike.....does that mean your runs don't count... :laugh:

:rofl: I guess that just depends how you word things. :rofl:
According to the rules you would have to have the alternate riders listed on your entry form and you would have to go to registration to confirm when a driver swap is done for a record to be legit. Of course at an inaugural event things are a little disorderly and anyone not following the rules is only cheating themselves. Racer honesty and integrity is left on each participants shoulders.

This was the best event I've attended. I'm still waiting on my chance for Bonneville so I can't compare this to a West coast event
My only questions is, if you didn't ride your own bike.....does that mean your runs don't count... :laugh:

so here's my update. I'll post more later because I've got a ton of work to get done this week. I’ll post some pics later as well.

It was an unbelievable event! :bowdown: Saturday was more like trial runs for many. Sunday was the day. The conditions were nice n cool with the best tail wind you could ever hope for. Just about everyone I know bested there pre-Loring speeds by 10 or so mph. :thumbsup:

I had finally gotten a stock clutch assembly borrowed from a good friend on Wednesday night. I had to find enough disks and fibers that were in decent enough shape to build the clutch pack. At 02:30 Thursday morning I had it all together in the bike. I wanted to be out the door by 06:00 but I over slept and we left a little late.

Once at the track on Friday morning we unloaded the bike and fired it up. It was running fine and the clutch worked. Tech was next and that went fine. I just rode the bike at low speeds down the runway to see how the track felt and get acclimated where everything was. At a low speed the finish line is that much further away. The shut down is even longer and the trip back to the pits is more than 2 miles away. For any Bonne folks this is a laugh since they're return ride is so much longer. Everything seemed fine with the bike and Saturdays first run has to be kept in the 175mph range so I figured it'll be a good opportunity to feel the bike out with the stock clutch and in the event of a catastrophic failure I would be a little more prepared for it.

Saturday morning I went for my run and my bike was completely blowing through the clutch. As soon as I would lay into the throttle the clutch couldn’t get the power down to the wheel. There was no reason to to fry this clutch so I coasted through the traps somewhere in the 1-teen range.

Back at the pits, a buddy of mine Todd had a set of new Barnet springs he passed along to me. I swapped three of these stiffer springs in and was ready to give it another go. Unfortunately my bike had other ideas. My bike just wouldn’t start. This really frustrated me since the only thing I did was make a mechanical change to the clutch which has no bearing as far as the engine starting.

Since it had to be an electrical problem the last resort was to disconnect every sensor that feeds into my logger. Problem solved and the bike fired up no problem. I took it for a slow ride through the pit area and the clutch felt a lot better too.

Up at the start line, ready to go and at around 3200 rpm the engine keeps cutting out for a millisecond or so. Just long enough for it to fall flat on its face and then come back on power and try and buck me off. Thinking about it I think I might have good possibilities at being a rodeo bronco rider. Lol

So I couldn’t get the engine to go past 32-3400 rpm. I tried in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to get past that rpm in case it was some way GPS related but it just wasn’t working. I shifted into 6th and just rolled through the traps at around 3k rpm with a speed in the 120’s. I was pretty frustrated at this point and decided to hang things up and just concentrate on helping others at the event.

Didn’t know Greg was planning on going to the event. I was talking to the cheeseman and he did say that Greg took the time to introduce himself and to try and settle their differences. I did here that someone had a turboed 14 that had boost leaks every where but I never did put 2 and 2 together.

All in all I was just thrilled to be at this first event. I think everyone I know set a personal best at this event. Hands down, for pavement land speed racing, I would say Loring is the place to be.

I wanted to meet Draco but without name tags on everyone it would have been difficult to figure out who is who. I have commuta-busa written on my wind screen so I'm easy to spot. I didn't see any busa with Draco on it so I was out of luck trying to discover him in that manor. There were more than a few orange and black Gen 2's around and I wasn't about to walk up to each rider asking "are you Draco"? :laugh: Maybe we'll meet in Sept. at Maxton. :thumbsup:

1st pic... from the start line

2nd pic... from the finish line

it's so far away all you can see is the mirage off the pavement. :bowdown:

Looks like you had a great weekend. Looking forward to Texas. Enjoy the rest of the race season. It was a great test and tune session for us. :beerchug: Dr. Dean Sabatinelli Phd (my rider) ..made the changes needed to be added as a rider we have the signed cards from the registration desk and record entry cards.

Last edited:
Our updated press release

PRESS RELEASE!!

World’s Fastest Turbo ZX-14

This past weekend Hyperbike Performance Centers LLC attended the Loring Timing Association’s first Land Speed event located in Lowell, Maine. HPC entered its custom built Stage III Turbo-Charged ZX-14 (a.k.a Ranger) our goal was to surpass the current turbo ZX-14 world top speed of 230 mph.

We accomplished our goal crossing the timing traps at 232.293 MPH. We went that fast using only 18 psi of boost out of a possible 30 psi. The max speed that this vehicle can travel is far from reached. We are currently making changes to enhance this machine further. Greg Williams from HPC designed, fabricated, tuned and built the bike and it was piloted by Dean Sabatinelli, Ph.D.

HPC now holds the title for the fastest ZX-14 in the Turbo and Nitrous classes world-wide.

Parts List:

Custom HPC Turbo Kit

HPC Stage III Prepped Race Engine

Avon Viper Super-Sport

MSD SB6

Power Commander PCV with Auto Tune

AEM True Boost Controller

AEM Oil Pressure Gauge

Stage III HPC Motor

Custom Exhaust

Tial Wastegate

Garret GT35R Turbo

Aeromotive FPR

VP Race Fuel

EK DR2 Chain

Mobile One Racing 4T

Vortex Sprocket

Carrozzeria VStar

RC Injectors

Sponsors: Avon Tyres, Ed Foy, Paul Parrot

Sponsors needed:

Pro-street level Swing-arm

Multi-Stage Boost Controller

Race Plastics

R&D

Race and Travel Expenses

Media Contact: Info@hyperbike Centers.com

Hyperbike Performance Center’s LLC

6907 Baltimore National Pike

Frederick, MD 21702

** HPC is a mom and pop family owned business which is in its third year of service to the motorcycle performance industry.

Just talked to Dean he wants to do Maxton next month so I will see you all next month. With the next generation version of our turbo bike... :cheerleader:

Last edited:
Should look like this the next time out.... I need to use these plastics anyways. :thumbsup:

100_1447.jpg

Last edited:
Our updated press release

PRESS RELEASE!!

World’s Fastest Turbo ZX-14

** HPC is a mom and pop family owned business which is in its third year of service to the motorcycle performance industry.

Very nice, you guys gotta be proud~!~ :thumbsup:

congrats to Rachael who went 229 on her turbo busa (stock internal engine, basic ghetto turbo with secondaries and a spacer) and is now considered the third fastest woman in the world on a open wheel motorcycle. :cheerleader:

(John, correct me if I'm wrong)

My buddy Tom's 1966 BSA (650cc) turbo/nitrous bike broke the 150 mark. I don't know of to many BSA's that can claim that. :cheerleader: It might have been able to go faster but it was shredding primary belts each run. :laugh:

I don't know how the guy with the Vincent did but I have to say that bike looked beautiful :bowdown:

I saw this sign to many times for comfort but thankfully they must have stayed in the woods because I never saw a single moose. :thumbsup:

P8015997.jpg

1966_BSA_154MPH.jpg

P8016006.jpg

P8036088.jpg

Last edited:
That Vincent belonged on the Pebble Beach concours...

I unfortunatly did not bring enough gearing for the track. I ran the bike right up to the limiter on the third pass, and had to hold off at 214. As you can see from the video posted, the shift light was set at 11k, and I was well past that.

Next Time:thumbsup:

Very nice, you guys gotta be proud~!~ :thumbsup:

I have three people who will be riding for me from here on out. Kinda cool when they come looking. I will just focus on the builds and tuning. Tough to do it all and focus on everything. Look for some good stuff later in the year. When there are only (2) bikes in a brand (ZX-14) over 230 MPH its obvious it ain't easy. Thanks for the support Sir!

Last edited:
Nice Video. We tried to get one on the 265mph pass but the camera would cooperate with us!

Shane,

Congrats that is a great time, it would have been awesome to have it done during the the trials and not after in a private test session.

Tell Scott to bring you and that beast of a machine to Bonneville and El Mirage ...just to see what it could do.

Congrats on your runs, I am jealous that you were able to run during a private meet and get that machine really moving. :bowdown::bowdown:

There is an old George Carlin bit that I love about him driving in traffic. He talks about there are two kinds of drivers..."Everyone slower that you is an a-hole, and everyone going faster than you is an idiot."

I think for Shane, there is only one kind of rider. Slower.:laugh:

Back