Can anyone help me?

05BusaBlue

Registered
Alright I hope someone here has had this issue and fixed it, but any input would be awesome. My 05 is having problems. She has 6800 miles, all stock other than being lowered and K&N air filter so no PC or anything. After my last deployment the battery was dead (got 4 years out of my stock battery and wife started the bike once a week while gone) so I got a new one. Then I was having problems with the Busa dying when I came to stop signs. No big deal, but now she has problems starting all together. I changed the plugs and she started normal twice then started acting up again. I attached a pic of the old plugs so you guy can see how bad she has been running the past couple of weeks. Well I can smell her running rich sometimes, not always, and yesterday after I got her started, the FI light was flashing. Could I be having problems with the injectors? Maybe fuel injector cleaner might solve this or could this be the fuel pump or fuel filter? I am leaving on a another deployment in a month and want to fix the bike so the wife can start it while I am gone again. Thanks for anything you guys can think of.

DSC04327.jpg

well not to insult you but start with the proper adjustment of idle at 1150- 1250(check manual on exact numbers) and see if that helps. sometimes basic stuff like that will be overlooked. how long has the fuel sat? try draining it and put in fresh high octane and see if that helps. maybe your fuel line is gunked up! i know i'm reaching here but those are a few basic things i would check out aside from a new battery and plugs like you had already done. good luck and be safe!

Starting the bike up is good to keep the oil and fuel moving around, but somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think that it does not charge the battery unless you are at 3,000-3,500 rpm.

I limped my bike around and killed the battey over the first year I had the bike...the guys told me that unless I kept the rpms above 3,000...it will not recharge the battery.

I hope that this is true and helps you out...since then I use the battery tender while I am not riding and make a point to keep up the rpms for awhile.

Ryan

Hmmmm, I ride under 3 grand for long periods of time just to save gas and I haven't had any problems with the battery not staying charged. Not to say that you are wrong, though. There are times when it is well above 3 grand.

Sometimes just starting an engine to just let it run, while maintaining a charge on the battery, isn't the best medicine, although you are trying to do a good thing.

Number 1 for planning on a long stay in storage is fuel stabilizer, battery tender (after market charger to maintain battery life) and possibly a spray down of light weight oil in each cylinder. The stabilizer needs to be added to the fuel in the right fuel to stabilizer ratio and then run long enough to flow through the entire fuel system. Full tank storage cuts down water vapor formation on exposed metal areas of the tank, even in a climate controlled environment.

After storage, run/ride the entire tank out before adding fresh fuel. At the present status of your bike, I would run a proper fuel injector cleaner (Tech-something or other, sorry Randy!, Seafoam, or some other good quality cleaner) and this may help deal with some formations on your injectors. This may also eliminate your hard starting condition.

Other suggestions of balancing/syncronizing throttle bodies, changing fuel filters, etc. are all a part of routine maintainence and should be performed at recommended intervals. Although I kind of like to tinker, I would still start with the simple stuff first.

I would also change engine oil as soon as possible as letting a combustion engine set idling allows a higher concentration of contaminates into the crankcase making the oil less effective. Good luck, hope this helps! :beerchug:

Last edited:
the busa does not reach a charge level of 13.2v or higher until it is revved above 2,800. definitely sounds and looks like a fuel issue. I would definitely drain the fuel, checked the screen, and put some top quality fuel in it. as for prolonged deploymeny, invest in a $25 battery tender and fuel stabil. don't worry about starting it, if you use a quality oil, it will cling good. if it makes you feel better, have your wife start it once a month and let it run until the cooling fan cycles and cut it off. but def a battery tender and fuel stabil.

First off let me thank you for serving our country. You have my support in all you do. Now lets talk 'Busa. I am probably the oldest(54) and newest member here.I do not own a Busa. I am physically unable to ride anymore. I sold my last bike 3 months ago. I have three freinds with busa's. One of the guys just bought 99 that has been sitting for over two years. We had to reseal the fuel tank, replace battery and the rotten fuel wiped out the fuel pump. All repairs made and we started yesterday. Sounds pretty good but it is experincing the same "rich" condition you are having. It seems too fat throughout the rpm band with black smoke out the exhaust . I am wondering too if injectors need cleaned . I have a manometer to sync them but I don't think that will cure the rich condition. I will be watching this thread for more info.

Regards
Mike

First off let me thank you for serving our country. You have my support in all you do. Now lets talk 'Busa. I am probably the oldest(54) and newest member here.I do not own a Busa. I am physically unable to ride anymore. I sold my last bike 3 months ago. I have three freinds with busa's. One of the guys just bought 99 that has been sitting for over two years. We had to reseal the fuel tank, replace battery and the rotten fuel wiped out the fuel pump. All repairs made and we started yesterday. Sounds pretty good but it is experincing the same "rich" condition you are having. It seems too fat throughout the rpm band with black smoke out the exhaust . I am wondering too if injectors need cleaned . I have a manometer to sync them but I don't think that will cure the rich condition. I will be watching this thread for more info.

Regards
Mike

:welcome: and we appreciate your knowledge sorry your not able to ride anymore

Thanks for your service.

Now the bike. Plugs look fine. The electrodes are tan which is what you want so the mixture is good. We need to find out why the FI light is flashing. You can pull the codes by jumping the connector in the tail. I don't have pics but I'm sure a search on here will bring it right up.

As for the starting problem I'll go dollars to doughnuts the throttle bodies are completely plugged with carbon. Remove the airbox and look where the blades touch the sides ot the TB. You'll probably see a buildup of black crusty carbon. Clean that out with carb cleaner and a rag. Reassemble and check your idle, minimum 1150 but mines much happier at 1300 or so.

Her starting it and letting it run standing still speeds up the process of buildup, just part of what happens. It happens when ridden too, just not as fast.

Your owner's manual does tell you how to store the bike for long periods of time. Starting it periodically probably doesn't hurt but I don't believe it's necessary. Riding it would be a great idea, though. If you have a friend who you trust to be competent enough to ride it once a month, you're better off.

Otherwise, use proper storage techniques and let it sit. Batter tender, Sta-Bil, etc. etc.

As for your current problem, use some Sea Foam and you'll probably solve your problem.

--Wag--

Ditto on the Sta-Bil when you store it.
I would bet it is bad fuel causing what you describe.
I would take out all the gas I could, add fresh and run some Injector cleaner through it (Techron, Seafoam, Bg44K etc).
Bet that does it.
Good luck.

Starting the bike up is good to keep the oil and fuel moving around, but somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think that it does not charge the battery unless you are at 3,000-3,500 rpm.

I limped my bike around and killed the battey over the first year I had the bike...the guys told me that unless I kept the rpms above 3,000...it will not recharge the battery.

I hope that this is true and helps you out...since then I use the battery tender while I am not riding and make a point to keep up the rpms for awhile.

Ryan

Reading the manual it states there's two charging circuits. The battery is getting charged at idle according to what I read.

if fuel sits too long in the tank, lines or injectors it will start to LACQUER-up.(fuel drying almost to a tar residue). If this happens, the best and only way to clean it is to soak ALL involved parts(tank, lines, injectors. ect.) in injector cleaner. if you merely add injector cleaner to your fuel, the lacquered fuel will remove itself from the tank, lines, ect. and clog your injectors. which may have already happened from tyhe sound of it.

Back