JINKSTER ATTACKS "SUSPENSION"

<!--QuoteBegindm_gsxr+May 11 2005,15:07-->
<!--QuoteEBegin-->I made the suggested changes for 210 lbs (I'm 198ish and with gear I'm sure I'm up around 210: 'stich, boots, backpack). I tried to adjust the collar around the rear spring but it was picking up some wicked damage from my drift (steel rod and aluminum collar). It was causing the tabs to mushroom a little. I got it to about 17mm showing which might be close to 18mm due to the mushrooming.

The ride in seemed to be stiffer in that I felt the road bumps a little more which was to be expected. When I got to a stop, the nose didn't dive near as much as it used to. Accelerating from the light and roll-ons made the bike feel like a jack-rabbit. No rocking back.

This weekend I'll be up in the mountains and carefully trying the twisties to see how much difference it made.

I'm going to check in on how much the actual collar adjusting tool costs. If it's not outrageous I'll probably get one.

I'll ride carefully to get used to it so I don't head off into the bushes on my first run
smile.gif

Thanks for the instructions.

Carl
Carl...I observed your riding first hand at the Busa Bash and it was readily apparent to me that you're a well seasoned rider with some seriouse skills....well..imho?...your skills are about to be seriously amplified as...your Busa should feel very stabil and planted with much higher feedback levels which will boost your confidence..(so be careful and don't get "Over-Confident" as these setting do seriousely upgrade the suspensions performance) as my busa now corners like a cat as compared too the stock settings.

btw..those shock collars are plated steel..and maybe I've done wrong here by not specifying that....

a. The rear must be "FULL SUSPENDED IN MID AIR" (a rear stand does not facilitate this as it supports the bike by it's own swingarm which still leaves the shock "loaded" under the bike weight)...that weight must be "RELIEVED" prior to attempting too make the shock spring preload adjustment.

and...

b. If you do use the "Hammer & Drift" method to adjust the shock collars?..."GENTLE TAPPING" (just enough to get it to move a little at a time) is the way to go..if you get over-anxiouse or observe "mushrooming of the tabs" you're getting too agressive...take it slow and easy does it..or better yet?...get the right tool...I'll be researching this in an effort tro find the correct spanner wrench to make this rear shock preload adjustment...or if someone finds it before me please feel free to post it here.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115868565 -->
I was able to go 2 full revs with the bike just on the rear stand. I took my time and tapped it around really easy so that I didn't mushroom the tabs. I just came back from a short ride and it feels awesome at 10 and 7 out. Thanks JINKSTER. Next i will try and ride 2 up and see If I rub the factory undertail. Oh yeah, I am 2 inches lowered front and back and extended 6 inches back.

Just did this mod, can't believe this is the same bike. Thanks Jinkster, still helping people years later on this thread...:beerchug:

Just took her out for a ride after the Jinkster adjustment. I'm six feet, 235lbs. I have 4500 miles on an 08 with the stock settings. I can easily get out of shape on turns that aren't real smooth. Hit some of my favorite roads with the new adjustments and I am very happy to say the least. This definately should have been my first mod. Bumpy turns feel like bumpy turns now, not like riding a bronco as before. Soooo much more road feel. Thanks Jinkster!!!! :bowdown:

Jinkster,

I just got my 08 a few weeks ago and have noticed the "pogo" type action on the front end. I'm weighing in at 240 as well so your advice will be spot on for me too. I've read through your post once and will do so again before I make any changes but I had one question: Where did you get the 33% number? It's probably a stupid questions but I like to know the "why" to things before I do them.

Thanks.

"The mission here is to attempt to compress approx. 33% (1/3rd) of the suspensions actual travel as "Laden Sag Compression" both front and rear."

Jinkster,

I just got my 08 a few weeks ago and have noticed the "pogo" type action on the front end. I'm weighing in at 240 as well so your advice will be spot on for me too. I've read through your post once and will do so again before I make any changes but I had one question: Where did you get the 33% number? It's probably a stupid questions but I like to know the "why" to things before I do them.

Thanks.

"The mission here is to attempt to compress approx. 33% (1/3rd) of the suspensions actual travel as "Laden Sag Compression" both front and rear."

"The mission here is to attempt to compress approx. 33% (1/3rd) of the suspensions actual travel as "Laden Sag Compression" both front and rear.

I redlighted the abbreviation for the word "Approximately" above..as?...well?...there's really nothing written in stone here with the exception that it seems to be a standard dictated by both Sir Issac Newton (with the laws of gravity dictating that the suspension does compress a certain amount under bike/rider weight) and the bike suspension/riding/racing industry which seems to favor such with a "Tune To Taste" demeanor...such as...while a cruiser style rider may favor a softer plusher ride and enjoy a cushy springing of upwards of 40% comp.?...a competitive sportrider would hate such a detached floaty feeling...looking for more feedback..and incorporate a nice tight 30% compression...with the busa?...i like 33%...comfy enough for all day superslab yet tight enough to read your way through the marbles and survive gett'in down with da boyz...your call.

Hope that helps and?...L8R, Bill. :cool:

im sure this is a stupid question and i'll probably kick my self for asking as soon as i see the answer but how did you raise up the front end to let it freely hang, i think i have everything else down.

Thanks

You can put a strong rope down through the steering head and hoist it up into your garage rafters,
or make one of these for the same thing:

DSC02918_edited.JPG

Jinkster,

I just got my 08 a few weeks ago and have noticed the "pogo" type action on the front end. ... Where did you get the 33% number?

The "pogo" type action is more likely to be lack of rebound dampening than sag.

You can put a strong rope down through the steering head and hoist it up into your garage rafters,
or make one of these for the same thing:

I loop a tiedown strap around the frame near the stearing head and use an engine hoist.

100_4944 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Hello,
first of all thank you Jinkster for suspension guide :thumbsup:
I will try it on my K4 LE Haya. I'm riding two years with Busa and sometimes (to offen) found that I'm missing something at the front. Never tried to play with suspension, just set it by manual recomendations because after purchase (she has 2 years and 5800 miles) I found that preload settings differ about 4 visible markings= left fork was 3,right-7.
Just one question: your setup (240lbs) has front COMMPRESION DAMP 4 clicks out and for Chain who's weight is 210lbs suggestion is COMMPRESION DAMP 2 clicks ? Is it not to stiff/bumpy to Chain ? Or possible that I miss something ???
registered just today :bowdown:

Thanks
Arunas (Lithuania)

quotation from 2005 forum:

Chain...for your weight I'd recomend trying...
(1 line) of preload left on forks with 2 clicks out comp damping (bottom screw) and 3 clicks rebound (top screw)..
(18mm) thread showing on shock with 10 clicks rebound (bottom screw) and 7 Clicks Comp (top screw)

L8R, Bill.

Yep....first screw both the compression ajustment (lower rear side of fork end casting) and rebound adjustment (little screw on top of spring preload adjusters) all the way IN till they stop..then...

REBOUND: 3 Clicks Out
COMPRESSION: 4 Clicks Out
and this is with your spring preload adjusters set at just 1 line showing...ie..socked all the way down too *the first line.
My Rear Shock Settings Are...
Rebound (botton screw): 10 Clicks Out
Compression (top screw): 7 Clicks Out
And that's with two full revs more rear shock spring preload from stock factory adjustment.

L8R, Bill.

Last edited:
BTW...this may explain why silly $hit happens like "Dragging The Fairing" as i'd almost bet that happens as a result of the front end being too softly sprung as it comes from the factory.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

That's really interesting, I'm dragging a hole in my lower right fairing. I've adjusted the rebound and the dampning on my 08 (front and rear), and I like how the front handles. The rear is another story, I've played with the rebound and dampning to no end. The rear constantly wobbles and dances thru every curve(not the tire) It's either because it's too hard, or too soft, I can't find a happy medium. I can't ride the bike any harder because I'm pushing my luck now. I can ride faster than what it's capable of, as it is now, because I can't find the right setting for me. I have had quite a few bikes over the years and I have never had such a problem adjusting suspension. But none have been as heavy as the Busa either, guess that's got somethin ta do with it.
I read the rear setting instructions and I will try that. I'm 5'10" 170lbs, should I tighten the spring and soften the dampning, or vice versa? I just need pointed in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:please::banghead:

That's really interesting, I'm dragging a hole in my lower right fairing. I've adjusted the rebound and the dampning on my 08 (front and rear), and I like how the front handles. The rear is another story, I've played with the rebound and dampning to no end. The rear constantly wobbles and dances thru every curve(not the tire) It's either because it's too hard, or too soft, I can't find a happy medium. I can't ride the bike any harder because I'm pushing my luck now. I can ride faster than what it's capable of, as it is now, because I can't find the right setting for me. I have had quite a few bikes over the years and I have never had such a problem adjusting suspension. But none have been as heavy as the Busa either, guess that's got somethin ta do with it.
I read the rear setting instructions and I will try that. I'm 5'10" 170lbs, should I tighten the spring and soften the dampning, or vice versa? I just need pointed in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:please::banghead:

You need stiffer springs in the front and the valving needs to be upgraded.

Gen2 front springs are rated @ .93kg...a 1.0kg or maybe a 1.05kg is what you need. The stock springs and valving will never do the job when you push the pace too hard.

But after alot of trial and error, the front feels really solid to me. Would It cause me to only feel a big problem in the rear?

If you use extra copmpression dampening to comepensate for weak springs, it will cause a harsh ride on the street and won't prevent bottoming the suspension when riding hard.

To your question, the front and rear need to be set so they are working with each other or you will feel problems. The rear spring is not as weak as the fronts so you should be able to get the SAG right, then ajust the rebound/compression until it is working with the forks. You'l feel the difference when its right.

Back