Fork seal replacement

memorex

Registered
Any Ideas on how to support the front of the bike without the use of a stering stem stand? SO I can replace my fork seals.:please:

Suspend front of Busa from handle bars, that is what Wheeler did when he adjusted my suspension up at the Gap couple years back.

I used floor jack under the oil pan. I used a sandal with cushion for the protection. Good luck. I know it could be a major p.I.a. I got huge support from the org members, and was able to get it done.
Posted via Mobile Device

JMO
But I would never lift the bike or tie it down by the bars.
Check out the piece that the bars mount in.
It is very thin and has holes in it for the top of the fork tubes.
Not designed at all to hold the weight of the bike.

Neither is the oil pan designed to hold the weight of the bike.

The steering head supports all of the weight of the bike, and is designed to hold the weight, so that is the best place to lift it from.
You could pass a strong rope down the steering head and then hoist it up in the rafters of a garage, or by an engine lift, whatever.
I designed a piece of threaded rod, with a ring welded on one end at the right angle.
I pass it down the steering stem and put a nut and washer on and then hoist it up.
Works perfect.
Again JMO

DSC02918_edited.JPG

Try using a rear stand to keep it straight and then use floor jack, preferably an atv jack, to lift under the exhaust. Try to get it as far foward as you can.

In my previous post, if you lift it by the bars, you will be putting the whole weight of the bike on this piece, and I feel it may break (or hair line crack to break later on) here:

Publication1_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Mike on this one. both the handle bar and oil pan seem not strong enough to hold the wieght of the bike. I haven't looked yet. But isn't the oil pan made of thin steel?

Last edited:
3/8 steel rod through the center of bike.. with jack stands to hold it and i used a simple jack to raise it...(or get freind to put jacks and box's under bar while you lift up the back end to get as high as possible. then i would weigh down back thus lifting the front end and have no stress on the steering triple

DSCF2644 (Medium).JPG

DSCF2645.jpg

Why not just buy the right front stand? It sounds like you need it and it will pay now for itself this first time. That's what I would do.

I think the best method would be to raise it using the steering neck/ head using a strap or rope strong enough to do the job. It wouldn't be a bad idea to place something under the bike as a failsafe not neccessarily to support weigh. I've seen guys use the pan or header, but I don't think it's the way to go. Good luck :thumbsup:

3/8 steel rod through the center of bike.. with jack stands to hold it and i used a simple jack to raise it...(or get freind to put jacks and box's under bar while you lift up the back end to get as high as possible. then i would weigh down back thus lifting the front end and have no stress on the steering triple

This is the way I am going to do it when I servcie my steering head bearings. :thumbsup:

Back