Horrible dealership experience.

So i drove up from Fort Hood, TX to Dallas thinking a bigger dealership would be able to give me a better deal on a bike. I sat down and got an OTD price of 16,000 to start off with. I asked the sales rep Robert for any kind of price cut i could think of. i got him to remove the 800 freight and assembly fees and give a lower OTD price. Finally we got to 14,150 and he wouldnt budge. I have been looking forward tot this bike my whole deployment so i had no choice and signed for it. Then in the final write up i see he still has 300 for both freight and assembly with a base price of 12 something. i call him back in and he says yah we agreed to take those off, but we came down to a final OTD price, so it doesnt matter how i write it up. We argued some more about that too. In total he told me 3 times that 'if i didn't want it i could go home/go somewhere else.' This was one of my worst dealership experiences and i would not refer Arlington Motorsports to a single person here.
Posted via Mobile Device
He played you big time and you let him. You came in as the perfect buyer, and those guys make a living off of reading people....they knew you were going to buy THAT bike no matter what the price....so they used you up. When you go into a deal like that you're going to get used plain and simple. It all depends whether taking a little time and effort to shop around is worth saving thousands of dollars to you. Sorry to hear you got chumped by the dealership tho ::9

My first thought when reading post topic-So what else is new!:whistle:
Won't even bother telling you my last stealership experience!:moon:Never again(DID NOT BUY) will I step foot in there,nor will I hold my opinion back about said stealership.Used car salesman(sorry......oh I just remembered that exp. also,i'll take that back:laugh:) are angelic in comparison to some of these turds!:poke:
Too bad for the negative experience,lesson learned???
Have a plan, in the future, walk unless they work with you.They love to play on their terms!
ENJOY that bike, you deserve it.:thumbsup:
Shame: they prey on positive emotion to part you from your HARD earned dollars.Not begrudging them a profit, but it sure hurts future sales to conduct business this way!:moon: This business model cannot last forever,nor can their business.:poke:

playing devils advocate here... you agreed on an OTD price and he delivered right? I do not see what difference it makes on how it is invoiced.. Pencil pushers need certain numbers in certain places and all you asked for was an OTD total...

Guess I dont get it.. seems to be sour grapes about how the invoice is written...

Congrats on the new Busa:beerchug::thumbsup: Don't let the Dealer ruin your new bike. Move forward but when any of your military friends ask make sure they don't use that dealer. The military is a HUGE income stream for bike dealers, they need you!! and your buds.

Just like I make sure everybody know I that I also had a miserable experience at ALBA ACTION SPORTS in San Diego and I tell everyone I know my opinion of there rotten customer service and I back it up with refering people to the BBB.org site.
I'll be damned if I let them change the way I feel about my Busa. So dang it give us some pics and lets celebrate:thumbsup:

Look fellas, dealerships aren't there to give bikes away! They are there to make a couple of bucks just like you are when you clock in to your job every day! You should not hold any animosity towards any dealership whom has a price on a bike you may not agree with.

The facts are, the seller can ask any price he chooses even if it is above MSR. You, as the buyer has the choice of buying? You can always shop at another store as there are hundreds of them nation wide. You can make an offer to multiple dealers and take the best offer. For goodness sake, don't make a deal with the seller then go home and whimper about it. YOU made the deal and no one bent your arm behind your back!

The problem is, we tend to get our panties in a wad when a dealer or seller doesn't agree to play ball according to our particular rules. Nothing to be offended about. You either play or pick up your toys and leave the game.

I happen to have a dealership that treats me exceptionally well and I wouldn't dream of buying else where. However, I can share my ways of buying a vehicle no matter if it has two wheels or eighteen wheels. First decide exactly what you want (year, color, accessories, etc. etc.) Then sit down with phone in hand and call multiple dealers. I have a minimun number of three. Tell the sales person exactly what you want and ask him to get back to you with a no dicker price. Make sure you share the fact that you are giving multiple dealers the opportunity to bid on this sale and there will be no negotiations. DO NOT ask for an out the door price, ask for a price less tax and license. Now you have a number of dealers bidding against each other which gives you a huge advantage. Don't let a salesman suck you in with that old "Get your best price and bring it to me and I'll beat it" line of BS. He gets one shot and one shot only. If he has the best price, he gets the deal. If not you'll be happy to call him back and tell him who got the sale and what the price was.

I've used this method of purchasing for many many years and it works like a charm! :beerchug:

From my experiences at the dealership if you're not happy with the deal... Grow a pair, quit letting yourself be controlled by and owned by your ego, and walk.

The "I know what I'm doing" type, and the "you cannot fool me!" types are the bread and butter of the industry.

Bottom line, Walk out. NOBODY is holding you by the curlies, and the minute they throw a crazy deal at you and you DON'T WALK? They know that you don't know what you are doing and that you're an easy mark.

We'd get folks qualifying at 18% with a 612, for a $13K loan still trying to act like they are big ballers, and know what they are doing when clearly they haven't the first clue.

Remember to always do your homework first, find the bike you want, find out what average retail is in your area, and head in with your own cash or financing, ready to work. Stick to your guns, be polite, and if they aren't working with you then walk to the next one.

Don't ever finance at the dealership. You'll be paying at LEAST 1 point more in interest than you would qualify for on your own, and likely 2 points or more, plus a bunch of other crap that gets paid to the dealer. Any additional points/services/crap they can get you to agree to in interest gets paid right to the dealership, pure profit. Most profit is on the backend so you really got to watch your back when you're "pretty sure" you've worked out a great price, the pretty girl in the finance office will usually get it right out of you in, protection plans, enhanced bill pay, accessory insurance, extended service plans, etc...

SO sorry to hear you had a bad time, though it's important to remember that just like anything else, you are responsible for half the interaction and bear some of the responsibility. Gotta know when to walk. :beerchug:

I happen to have a dealership that treats me exceptionally well and I wouldn't dream of buying else where. However, I can share my ways of buying a vehicle no matter if it has two wheels or eighteen wheels. First decide exactly what you want (year, color, accessories, etc. etc.) Then sit down with phone in hand and call multiple dealers. I have a minimun number of three. Tell the sales person exactly what you want and ask him to get back to you with a no dicker price. Make sure you share the fact that you are giving multiple dealers the opportunity to bid on this sale and there will be no negotiations. DO NOT ask for an out the door price, ask for a price less tax and license. Now you have a number of dealers bidding against each other which gives you a huge advantage. Don't let a salesman suck you in with that old "Get your best price and bring it to me and I'll beat it" line of BS. He gets one shot and one shot only. If he has the best price, he gets the deal. If not you'll be happy to call him back and tell him who got the sale and what the price was.

I've used this method of purchasing for many many years and it works like a charm! :beerchug:

I did the exact same thing with my bike when I bought it. The only difference being, I did it via e-mail, with the "to" column clearly displaying the names of the dealerships I was contacting. One dealership told me their price, but said if i could find a better price, they'd match it. This was North end Cycle of Elkhart Indiana. Well, i got a deal that was a couple thousand lower than their deal, and called them to ask them if they were serious about matching the price for me. The sales guy basically called me a liar and said that there was no way they were actually selling me the bike for that low of a price. SO I basically said "F you" to them, went down to the dealership that had the best price (Max Pitts of Peru Indiana) and got my bike. GREAT buying experience, by the way, when i got there they had all my paperwork ready and everything was exactly what they told me it would be. Plus since I came from so far away, they threw in a helmet for me.

Oh, and I made CERTAIN that I rode by north end cycle with the new bike, along with my paperwork. The sales guy there saw me and tried to talk to me. I said we had nothing to discuss, but i would like the chance to talk to the sales manager. I basically told the sales manager what his sales guy told me, and how he called me a liar, and then showed him the price I paid for it.

The sales guy I was working with no longer works there, but the place is still a pretty sucktastic dealership, and I wouldnt even buy oil there.

I searched along time to find my deal and got a great price. It was after the sale where I had an issue with their customer service.

Right about the time you said, "I didn't have a choice," I lost interest. If you didn't walk out on on a bad deal, you got the deal you deserved, regardless of how you hated it.

I never ever try to talk someone into taking my money. It's their job to convince ME, not the other way around. If they don't want my business, I always go somewhere else. It's just a non-issue for me. Begging a dealership for two hours to give me a better price is mind-boggling to me. Paying more than a bike is worth is mind-boggling to me.

I just don't get it. We're a capitalist society and there is ALWAYS someone else who is ready to treat me like a real customer. As long as I'm not being a dumbass, I'm in the driver's seat, pure and simple.

I guess one of the great things about me is I have patience. I'd rather look at fifty dealerships and get the right deal than spend one dime in a dealership which isn't interested in giving me a fair deal.

Sorry I'm not more sympathetic but really, man; there're better ways to handle this.

Having said all of that, I hope you enjoy your new bike, regardless!

--Wag--

I did the exact same thing with my bike when I bought it. The only difference being, I did it via e-mail, with the "to" column clearly displaying the names of the dealerships I was contacting. One dealership told me their price, but said if i could find a better price, they'd match it. This was North end Cycle of Elkhart Indiana. Well, i got a deal that was a couple thousand lower than their deal, and called them to ask them if they were serious about matching the price for me. The sales guy basically called me a liar and said that there was no way they were actually selling me the bike for that low of a price. SO I basically said "F you" to them, went down to the dealership that had the best price (Max Pitts of Peru Indiana) and got my bike. GREAT buying experience, by the way, when i got there they had all my paperwork ready and everything was exactly what they told me it would be. Plus since I came from so far away, they threw in a helmet for me.

Oh, and I made CERTAIN that I rode by north end cycle with the new bike, along with my paperwork. The sales guy there saw me and tried to talk to me. I said we had nothing to discuss, but i would like the chance to talk to the sales manager. I basically told the sales manager what his sales guy told me, and how he called me a liar, and then showed him the price I paid for it.

The sales guy I was working with no longer works there, but the place is still a pretty sucktastic dealership, and I wouldnt even buy oil there.
I bought my 2007 Busa at max pitts too, did the whole deal over the phone, then they said do you want red,blue or black, i said red, i get down there 45 minutes after closing and low and behold my bike is sitting out front with a full tank of gas and all the paper work ready to sign...i was in/out in 10 minutes...I didnt get a free helmet but they did in fact allow my friend to buy a 450$ one for 1/2 price

Last edited:
My new overpriced baby. Already rode it back home (about 180 miles) so can't return it. I'm not mad at the dealer for overcharging me, they just did it with horrible customer service also which pissed me off. Even after it was all payed for, they say I'm all set and the bike is sitting outside fueled up and ready to ride and for me to have a safe trip home. I get out there and see it has the passenger seat on. I go back inside and ask for the hump, and he's like oh I didn't know you wanted to hump too. Oh man if he had said he'd have to charge me for the hump I would have knocked him out with the helmet I had in my hand :banghead:. Is there anything else besides the hump, tool kit, and manual that's supposed to come standard with the bike?

06202009037.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

2 keys and a key code tag, tool kit, hump, manual, tank rod prop...located inside the tail stuck to the side with 2 white tabs..

OH AND A BIG F_N SMILE ON YOUR FACE COMES WITH IT TOO:laugh:

Last edited:
playing devils advocate here... you agreed on an OTD price and he delivered right? I do not see what difference it makes on how it is invoiced.. Pencil pushers need certain numbers in certain places and all you asked for was an OTD total...

Guess I dont get it.. seems to be sour grapes about how the invoice is written...

I agree, if you both came to an out the door price then it doesn't matter. Lets say they right it up for 12k with 0 setup, paper work and etc. Does that make any difference to you if you buy it for 10 + 1000 setup + 1000 prep? The only issue I could see mattering her at all is the tax you will have to pay.

Do a search on here, tons of info at what a fair price is, but to be honest with you coming from someone that works at a dealership what I am seeing is either fire sale pricing, or dealers trying to make it through the month one retail deal at a time. There is no question sales in the industry are way, way off. Compounding this issue was several months of no small dirtbike, atv sales due to the "lead ban" :banghead:.

There isn't a ton of markup other then the paper work and setup fees anyway, I'm not saying you should have to pay full tilt for a new bike, just saying it like it is. If you don't like their price shop somewhere else. Don't agree to buy it then back out because you don't like the numbers anymore.

Don't take it too personally, although I know that's not easy to do, but customer service has been sliding in every part of business throughout the country for years.

I got a very reasonable deal on my bike, but I started contacting dealers in March 2008 and didn't buy until November 2008. In all, I contacted over 15 dealerships via email and phone and I even had a deposit on one that I canceled the sale on since they wouldn't work with me further on price (plus, that bike had a weird rust colored dust/powder in all the crevices of the bike which the dealer couldn't explain). The dealer I bought from, Cycle Sport, Alexandria, Virginia, Suzuki, Yamaha, ATV, motorcycle, scooter, dealer, used, parts, services, financing, didn't play ANY pricing games and treated me with nothing but respect during the entire process. I contacted them via phone, let them know that I was ready to buy and that I'd done my homework on the pricing and made my offer. We made the deal on the phone and I went in the following weekend to do paperwork, pay and take posession. They even took the time to walk me through everything on the new bike before leaving me to enjoy the new bike. Great, and very atypical, experience.

On the bright side, you got your new ride and the buying process is behind you.

Congrats!

Back