tire speed rating

gunsavy

Registered
I have a shinko 003, I noticed the speed rating said 168. JUst wondering exactly what that means. Especially since the bike goes well over that.

I might be wrong here. But that the speed it can handle for extended periods of time. Not sure how long. You can go faster on them but not longer then a couple of minutes.

I have a shinko 003, I noticed the speed rating said 168. JUst wondering exactly what that means. Especially since the bike goes well over that.
I saw the same thing and I dont get it either. Competition Accessories ad says the 003 (AND the 005) are Z rated, and then in the description, it says they're W rated to 168.
What it means is that running your bike WFO to 185 mph (or more if you've got the TRE :tre: :laugh:) might be taxing your tires. Its the sustained speed and associated heat generated thats gonna be a problem.
IMO, I wouldnt want to run a bike that fast with W rated tires on it. Those tires aren't gonna have a problem at 100, or 150, but you're not gonna want to find a disintegration problem over 168, thats for sure.
Its one of the reasons I've been looking into the Michelin HPX's. They can take sustained speeds in excess of 200mph, which is almost like a Z+ rating.

Last edited:
I think my Bro in law who is a Eng. for a major tire company said a tire had to be able to run that speed for 10 hours to get a rating. But my forgetter seems to working all too well lately.

a (Z) in the tire size/ description means the tire can go above 148 the (w) rating will be all by itself somewhere else on the tire...any tire with a (z) in the description will have the other rating somewhere else on it...

so the (w) on shinko is for 168 and is on the tire but in the size description it is 190/50/zr17 the (z) means above 148 but farther around on the tire it will have the (w) rating

coincidently a (y) is the highest rating you can get, but they dont sell anything above a (w) rating here in the usa

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Last edited:
They can take sustained speeds in excess of 200mph, which is almost like a Z+ rating.
no actually a (w) or (y) is a higher rating then a z z only means above 148..the actual rating is elsewhere on the tire the (z) in the tire size description means only above 148 a (y) is the highest rating but the (w) is the highest you will see on a dot tire

here is a picture of my shinko ultra soft stealth aas you can see in the description it is a 190/50/ZR17 73w

the (w) is the speed rating:thumbsup: and the 73 is the load rating wich is 805#s the r stands for rim and the 17 is the rim size=17

so in essence 190/50ZR17 73w means the tire is 190mm wide, 50% of 190 tall, above 148mph rating, rim size 17inches, 805# load rating with a speed rating of 168

oh the m/c stands for motorcycle

100_1383.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

Last edited:
I use to have the Shinko 003 190/50/zr17. Great tire but it blew on me when I tried to get it to 200mph. Scary huh?

I use to have the Shinko 003 190/50/zr17. Great tire but it blew on me when I tried to get it to 200mph. Scary huh?
must have been a fluk i see the ultra soft versions do it 207 times a week at the drag strip, however Im very glad that when that happend to you, you didnt die and are now here to tell us about it

Last edited:
We are the AMA Dragbike Shinko Racer Support Reps....the Shinko is a Z rated tire...rated for 149mph + just like all the other z rated tires...

Back