Is it time?

Rollaj

Registered
I've been riding since I was 7 (I'm now 45) in the dirt till I was around 17. Crashed and burned more times than I want to remember, but never broke a bone...
I've had a number of street bikes, starting with a Honda 400 Super Sport up to my Yamaha 1100 V-Star I'm riding now. Never have laid down a street bike (knock on wood) but have had many close calls due to ignorant cagers.
Haven't ever ridden a "Crotch Rocket", but have seen a few 'busa's made into
nice "sport touring" bikes. My wife doesn't ride with me very often, but when she does it's for a couple hundred miles/ hours at a time and she likes to be comfortable.
That being said, 'busas are (to me anyway) the most beautiful sport bikes made.
I don't get stupid on the bikes I have, or have had in the past (well, relatively stupid). I have a local drag strip if I really want to push it. I do like to bend bikes around corners, but who doesn't.
Would a 'busa be a good step up? Comfort is an important factor, as like I said, we like to go on long cruises 4-5 times during the summer. So I would have to figure out a seating solution at least for my wife to be comfortable.

Thanks

Tony

I'd say that if you could swing it, get the busa and keep the V-Star for the rides with your wife. Some will disagree with this statement, but in all likely hood, your wife would never be comfortable on the back of a busa or any sportbike for that matter.

That said, there was a thread which had one of the org. brothers developing what appeared to be a great passenger back rest. This, coupled with a Tobin or Corbin seat set-up, would give her a measure of comfort and a feeling of security. Otherwise, stick with plan "A"!:cheerleader:

I say get it. The Busa isn't a comfortable bike but you can always make it comfortable with some seat and bar mods (for the passenger too). And also its all about getting use to the ridding position. I think if you stick a back rest on, she will be fine. As for yourself, getting a BUsa will put a lot of excitement into your life. Can you handle it?

:welcome: to the party!

Last edited:
The busa would be good for the local sporty rides, but I'm not so sure the wifey would be comfy on a real long ride. I'd keep the cruiser for the cross-country stuff when the wifey wants to go, and then consider a busa for solo/spirited riding.

D

I just made this for my wife. Went for a 200+ mile ride this past Friday, she said it made all the difference for her. The most she ever rode before the backrest was maybe 50 to 60 miles. And also :welcome:

100_2527.jpg

Do yourself a favor and go get a busa! I'm 58 and can stay on it all day long. They are so much fun to ride they should be illegal!:laugh:

Thanks for all the replies and the welcome!
A backrest is a must, and maybe a bit more padding, then I'm sure she would be comfortable.
The longest ride we usually take together is the Bikers for Babies run every year. And maybe another couple hundred or two milers, otherwise it's just local stuff.
But I ride to and from work all summer. I put 10k on my last bike, and have 12k on this one so far.
I know that's not much compared to some of you, but I'm on two wheels whenever I can.
I personally don't care that much about the comfort factor, 'busas are everything a cruiser isn't... More power, better handling, better brakes, personally if you don't get stupid, I think they are safer because of all of the above.
Now it's just getting my wife to see past the "crotch rocket" stigma of everyone that owns one has a death wish... LOL

Thanks again

Tony

Last edited:
My wife is all for it... Surprise
But she said if I get the bike, she gets to get a boob job...
Hey, this is a win win situation ... LOL

My wife is all for it... Surprise
But she said if I get the bike, she gets to get a boob job... Hey, this is a win win situation ... LOL

:welcome:

Sounds like you must be a shrewd negotiator. :laugh:

I just took my lady out for about 25 miles this past weekend, her first ride on the Hayabusa. She loved the ride but she also wants more comfort. In particular she mentioned wrist fatigue (from hanging on) and back fatigue (from the crouch positioning).

We sat on the Goldwing a couple years ago for grins and she said she could fall asleep back there. That won't ever happen on the Busa, but I do believe that it can be made more comfy for her via something like the Corbin or Tobin options.

Best of luck!

not the best cruiser bike for sure but 400 mile days are not that tough..

Daily close calls with cagers is just a hazard of the sport IMO.. just a matter if you are part of the problem (some riders tend to put themselves in harms way a lot more than others)

Backrest: Corbin is about the only "commercial" supplier of the things (and I own one) but in town? they suck.. the rear Corbin saddle does not hold the passenger very well and they tend to slide forward way too easy putting un-due stress on the drivers arms and back.. It could be that the seat is just too slick but regardless, unless on the highway.. it gets kind of annoying..

DSC_0055.JPG

That's a nice looking seat/backrest Mr. Bogus. And it's pretty much what I'll be looking for.
When she's on the back we don't do much in town stuff anyway (I personally hate riding in town, IMHO the highway is much safer).

My wife rides with me and loves it. In fact, I ride 2 up 95% of the time. She needs to ride more and will then be able to ride further. Welcome to the OrG! Just a few pics for the pic police. :laugh:

CAYZYRQT.jpg

DSC_8089.jpg

post-6-19446-IMG_1391__Large_.jpg

Attachments

• killboy.bmp
    704.9 KB · Views: 152
My wife and I both think the Busa is very comfortable. We ride an 08 with no comfort mods. Like twotone said, she needs to ride more and continue getting used to it, but we've taken the bike out for the day on several ocassions with no trouble. I have a Nelson Rigg large magnetic tank bag which some people think looks a little big, but it's just the right size for me to lean on if I feel like it. It also has plenty of room for whatever she wants to bring for the day, which keeps us both happy. And now to appease the pic police...

IMG_0723crop.jpg

DSCN0841edit.jpg

Thank you all for the replies, and especially the two up pictures.
It'll probably be next season before I get one, the car should be paid off then and I'll be able to afford the payments. About how much more is insurance for a 'busa than for a cruiser do you think? Flawless record, no accidents, speeding tickets, etc...

About how much more is insurance for a 'busa than for a cruiser do you think?

I haven't had a cruiser in a few years, so I can't make a good comparison for you. I'm 25 and married with a clean record and no claim history. We pay about $650 a year for full coverage with State Farm.
And I forgot to say it earlier, but :welcome: to the oRg.

State Farm here as well full coverage (50+ club) (collision/liability/comp) for $263 a year..

Go with the Busa, corbin with backrest and heli risers. I had my wife spoiled on an 07 Bandit with corbin and backrest, with the Busa she says she gets better wind protection and can ride as long as I am willing, all conditions, freeways or twisties.
And we are both pushing 60 years old.

Back