Took engine apart

I would think that increasing the displacement from 1340cc to 1441cc while keeping the stock cams would make for a lot of low-mid range torque and to be a little flat up top. If I was going to poke her I would think about doing cams and some port work since you're already going to have the head off anyway.

You have to be careful with cam choice and damn careful with porting or you may wind up with a bike that has lost it's streetability. Porting causes the velocity of the intake charge and the spent gasses to slow down at low end making the engine sluggish and not much fun to ride around town.

Last edited:
You have to be careful with cam choice and damn careful with porting or you may wind up with a bike that has lost it's streetability. Porting causes the velocity of the intake charge and the spent gasses to slow down at low end making the engine sluggish and not much fun to ride around town.
Of course one can't just slap parts on any engine.

Last edited:
If you go big bore buy a 99-07 cylinder as there are cracking issues in 08 cylinders ovebored...

also do you know what or who's spraybar it was?was it a homemade kit?

If you go big bore buy a 99-07 cylinder as there are cracking issues in 08 cylinders ovebored...

also do you know what or who's spraybar it was?was it a homemade kit?

I have heard different stories about the block issue, so I am a bit on the fence about it. The kit was somewhat of a cobbled together piece.

Of course one can't just slap parts on any engine.
You would be suprised what some people come up with when trying to build a engine. I have seen many poorly thought out street/track engines in fourty five plus years working on and being around high performance engines, builders and tuners

You would be suprised what some people come up with when trying to build a engine. I have seen many poorly thought out street/track engines in fourty five plus years working on and being around high performance engines, builders and tuners
Same here but more like 25 years for me. I was an aircraft mechanic in the military, worked on mine and friends hot rods in high school, worked as an auto mechanic at a Ford dealer and drag raced a built GS1150E in socal in the 80s. I hope my low post count/new guy status doesn't bring a no knowledge stigma with it because that would be a mistake. I don't claim to know everything but I know a little bit more than nothing.

Oh, and FWIW, my current ride for the last 7 years is a 500rwhp mustang. I had the computer tune done by someone else but the combo of parts was chosen by me and the work was done by me.

Last edited:
Taking all the parts to the engine guy in the morn. Have another guy that ports and polishes as well as repairs heads, so I will call him as well.

Its not that bad, is the valve seats are still in tacked you should get away with a cheap repair bill!
This is what a real blow up look like, just imagine what the head looks like!

Led mods 002.jpg

Its not that bad, is the valve seats are still in tacked you should get away with a cheap repair bill!
This is what a real blow up look like, just imagine what the head looks like!

What the hell man! Did someone set off C4 in that thing?

That's not the first nut that's been eaten by a busa on this forum! :laugh:

Here is the plan guys. I am getting the head repaired in Macon, Ga. Over-night delivery on a piston and ring set along with new gaskets. Four new valves, and locktite for the bolts on the spray bar. It should be done shortly. I will keep you guys posted.

Back