She hates me....she tried to melt herself....

soooooooooooooo this happened with the new one. checked the fuses. new connector was solidly put in, no exposed contacts. i am thinking maybe arcing with _____ ? input please

???

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

how does the plug at the stator look as those 3 bottom wires run back to it?

BTW that was after a 20 mile ride....I took it for that to see if charging system was running, only got as far as getting the battery at 12.5v because the bike wouldn't start after that....

The stator connector looks fine, along with every other connection I can find, I did a onceover of all the harnesses that run to those wires at all. What would happen if I just hardwire those wires together and remove the connector? Because the wire itself is still not melting, just the connectors, and it would not be able to arc if they are separately wired.

Any input? I seem to keep having problems that in no reasonable way should I have.

there is a reason its melting meaning lots of heat going thru something,check your harness and be sure there are no ground or hot wire rub thrus on the bike...

do you have a infared temp gun cause you could put them together turn the bike on and shoot them to see just what is happening as bike runs..

Have you done any other electrical mods lately? My first step would be to break out the multi-meter. Check for shorts between wires and then from each wire to ground. There has got to be something shorted somewhere. And the plastic connector is just the weakest link. Disconnect the battery and try with the ignition on and off. Page 421 of the manual is the start of the schematics in the manual.

I'm not quite sure about your information on the grease promoting resistance, if I'm understanding you correctly. Di-electric grease is recommended for electircal connections such as the boot over the terminal on a spark plug wire, etc. and I believe is for the purpose of locking out moisture as well as reducing exposure to other oxidizer promoting elements. I would recommend the use of this type of grease (di-electric) in all electrical connections on a motorcycle expressly for the reason of being subject (albeit at times unwanted) to moisture. Wish I knew more about the rectifier issues, brother, but I am certain of the greasy kid's stuff on the terminals. Hope that is at least some help. :beerchug:

('D' you da man! Way to go, org monster!)
di- electric grease is used on batteries only...the reason batteries need it is there are trace amounts of gas that a batterie emits and that can cause trails from one battery post to the other, the grease keeps these trails from making contact....now with that being said, there is no reason why you couldnt use the grease on your other connections as well...

I got a solution to why it's doing that call me asap before you do anything else. 503-663-3278 in thew shop now...

Back