Need Help With A Dealer...

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
I bought my new 08 Black/Gray Busa from Suzuki of Sarasota back in February. That's something like 600 miles from home, so I can't just run over there. When I took it to my local dealer for the 600 mile service, the service manager asked me where the clear vinyl (I'm assuming vinyl) protective film came from. I just assumed that it was from the factory, but he said they'd never seen it on any of their bikes. He even showed me an 09 in the showroom and it did not have it. He pointed out some places where the application was imperfect and recommended that I talk to the dealer where I bought the bike to get more info. After doing some research, it appears to be an Xpel Paint Protection Kit.

So, I called the service manager at Suzuki of Sarasota who said he had no idea what I was talking about and assured me that they do not put anything like that on their bikes. I bought the bike NEW from them and he doesn't know what I'm talking about? He said to send him some pictures and he'd get back to me.

I then called American Suzuki to get a straight answer. I explained to them that this stuff was on my bike when I bought it new, but nobody seems to know where it came from. They wouldn't answer me as to whether or not it could be from the factory (and ultimately their responsibility for warranty purposes.) They said they'd need to get pictures from a dealer before they could decide where it came from. They also said that if it was applied by a dealer, then they would try to assist me (lean on the dealer) to get it taken care of.

Well, It's been about two weeks since I sent pictures to the selling dealer, and I've received no reply. I haven't had much time to follow up, but fully intend to get on their case next week. This stuff came from somewhere and it wasn't me. They could at at least tell me if they got the bike from another dealer, then maybe they can help out. Anyway, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this stuff and I want it off my bike. If it's from the factory, then I want it to be reinstalled correctly. I looked through my paperwork and there are no parts or accessories mentioned in any of it.

It wasn't bothering me too much until the tank covering started to tear from my jacket zipper. I decided to remove that section and apply a Suzuki tank pad, but I noticed that it is applied over the stickers up the side of my tank, and I'm afraid they'll come off with it. If I could remove it from the whole bike without damaging the stickers, I'd do that and be done with it. I pulled up a small corner of it and it seems very sticky, so now I'm afraid to mess with it. So now I'm stuck with a Busa that I can't ride for fear of scratching the tank, but I'm also afraid to remove this... stuff! Ok, I'm getting upset about it.

I'm attaching some pics of it. You can see how the factory stickers get an outline where this stuff doesn't lay flat around the edges. You can also see how it looks wrinkled on some curved surfaces and the edges don't always lay down correctly. There's one pic of the tank piece that I want to replace and you can see where my zipper had been against it.

Do any of you know anything about this stuff, or have any information at all that I could use here? I would really appreciate any help that you have to offer.

Thanks,
Daniel

DSCN0808resize.jpg

DSCN0809resize.jpg

DSCN0810resize.jpg

DSCN0811resize.jpg

DSCN0812resize.jpg

DSCN0813resize.jpg

DSCN0814resize.jpg

DSCN0815resize.jpg

I recently bought an 08 also and have seen nothing like this on my bike, it appears to be a major bad clear coat job....

I hate to say it But............Ya Think this Bike Was Damaged Somehow and the Dealership Tried to Cover It Up ??? I am in the Automotive Field and know how A lot of Dealerships Operate. Unfortunetly they are Not as Honest as You Think :moon:

I hate to say it But............Ya Think this Bike Was Damaged Somehow and the Dealership Tried to Cover It Up ??? I am in the Automotive Field and know how A lot of Dealerships Operate. Unfortunetly they are Not as Honest as You Think :moon:

I hadn't really thought about that... What would they be trying to cover up with this stuff? I'm not above making another 600 mile trip to get this worked out. I have no idea where to go with this.

It sounds like the dealership is trying to hide something. I would take the bike back down to the dealership and talk to them face to face. Dealerships are some shady mother******'s. I had a deal set up to buy a brand new '08 at the end of the year when the new '09 where already on the floor for 10k cash. I had the dealership mgr. and the finance mgr. agree to this amount. When I walked in with the money in hand they tried to raise it another 2000 dollars. I told them to kiss my *** and that I wasn't that stupid. I ended up buying my '06 LE for $8200 cash.

It looks like a protective coating that is stuck to the paint to prevent damage during the assembly process at the plant. Look at the picture showing the mirror mounting and the wind screen bolt. The clear stuff is cut out around it so you can work. I'll send a message to a dealer local to me with a link to this thread and see what he thinks.

It sounds like the dealership is trying to hide something. I would take the bike back down to the dealership and talk to them face to face. Dealerships are some shady mother******'s. I had a deal set up to buy a brand new '08 at the end of the year when the new '09 where already on the floor for 10k cash. I had the dealership mgr. and the finance mgr. agree to this amount. When I walked in with the money in hand they tried to raise it another 2000 dollars. I told them to kiss my *** and that I wasn't that stupid. I ended up buying my '06 LE for $8200 cash.

That Bike was Dropped or Damaged During Shipment !!!

:2cents:

Talk to the sales manager, maybe they had it applied as a demo for the protective film. If they got the bike from another dealer could have been applied before they got it. Didn't come from Suzuki that way. Done at a trade show the bike was displayed at maybe? I doubt it is on there to hide anything.

I agree with the comments about protective film. are you sure with a good tug that won't just peel right off and have a good finish under it???
Thats not bad clearcoat you can see the edges on that film and the air bubbles in some spots. at worst they used film to hide somthing might be nothing wrong and they just didn't
remove it.

Last edited:
Could be that the bike was sold and the person wanted the film on it and then the sale fell through. We just took an 09 out of a crate and I don't remember seeing anything like this.I'll look at it when I get to work this mornrig. Try using a hairdryer to heat up the glue and get it off.Pull at a steep angle whel peeling off so there is less chance of decal damage.I would think the dealer would want to see this before it turn's into a sh## show. Good luck.

It looks like a protective coating that is stuck to the paint to prevent damage during the assembly process at the plant. Look at the picture showing the mirror mounting and the wind screen bolt. The clear stuff is cut out around it so you can work.

That is what i would think, looks like it would be nice to have on there if it looked okay, looks like it would sure save the paint. is the whole bike done like that?

That is what i would think, looks like it would be nice to have on there if it looked okay, looks like it would sure save the paint. is the whole bike done like that?

It's not the whole bike, but most of it. I'm pretty sure it's an XPEL Paint Protection Kit (Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp.)

Here's a Diagram of the Kit for the 2008 Busa (List price $559.95!!!) You can see that it covers the front fender, nose, side cowlings, and tank. Basically any painted surface on the front half of the bike. I pulled up a small corner and it seems very sticky, so I'm really nervous about the factory stickers being pulled off with it. I'm thinking if it were left over from the factory, the dealer would've removed it at setup and it would just be static cling instead of adhesive. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Xpel Kit.gif

Have you talked to XPEL and ask them about taking it off? if it was possible without messing up the stickers.

what i would like to know is why would anyone buy a bike if it LQQKed like the pics here i would have went to a different dealer :whistle:

You probably seen this on the website. Still would be make ya wonder if it would really all come off okay.

"What if I want to remove the shields at a later date?"

The removal process is just a matter of warming the plastic, and peeling them off. They will require some muscle to get them off, but they normally peel off without any residue left on the lens. If any adhesive at all remains behind, it may be removed by simply rubbing it with your thumb. The adhesive will then ball up and roll

try hearing it up with a blow dryer or heat gun and pull it slowly. It should come off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back