She hates me....she tried to melt herself....

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
So....not getting proper voltage, went to replace rectifier....found this puppy....

Let the pics speak for themselives....couple questions. If cleaned up, do you think I can reuse with silicone? Or buy another connector and splice it in? What caused this? Rectifier being bad? Anyone know what those red wires are exactly? All help appreciated as soon as possible.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

pins were actually intact....all the melted plastic is the female (white) connector. Replaced stator and rectifier.....cleaned up connectors used class 88 electrical tape (yes yes I know, temporary as heck).

With those replaced, at full open choke, lil over 2k, does 14.1V......at 5k rpm does 13.4V.....the battery is new and has started the bike 5x......are these numbers normal? the lower seems a bit high, then the 5k seems a bit low.

Thoughts? Sorry guys, still confused as to why it melted.....le sigh....

maybe you have a pinched cable or short somewhere

Slowly doing a check of the electrical system because of this.....is it possible a bad rectifier would cause some type of short or overload here? Or moisture in the connector causing it to short out? I know I am stretching it, but so confused....

Sorry for all my posts lately guys, just seems like mysterious headaches are my specialty.

:please:

Slowly doing a check of the electrical system because of this.....is it possible a bad rectifier would cause some type of short or overload here? Or moisture in the connector causing it to short out? I know I am stretching it, but so confused....

Sorry for all my posts lately guys, just seems like mysterious headaches are my specialty.

:please:

could've been moisture, rectifier, or a short up stream back feeding.

Personally, check things out...tape it up and ride it locally for a bit. I personally would check it out each time I rode it. For it to create that much heat I would assume a fuse SOMEWHERE should had popped.(key point is should)

I would think about swapping ALL the fuses out for new ones. I have seen fuses that took over double amperage before blowing.

I must've missed the whole reason you felt the need to swap out the stator and rectifier.

I have fixed several of these issues on busas and other bikes,the rectifier takes on alot of power as it's your reducer,it sometime surges and reverses power,guess where power lands?right on the plug..i will get you a plug on the way,use a small flat head screw driver and reach in to unlock them 1 AT A TIME...i just fixed a bike suzuki wanted $1000 to replace all electronics fixed it and redone plug for less than $150 otd..

i'll send plug tomorrow...

So....not getting proper voltage, went to replace rectifier....found this puppy....

Let the pics speak for themselives....couple questions. If cleaned up, do you think I can reuse with silicone? Or buy another connector and splice it in? What caused this? Rectifier being bad? Anyone know what those red wires are exactly? All help appreciated as soon as possible.

I'm overnighting plug end out today..I want you to know someone has replaced that connector before cause it should be black,so keep a eye on it down the road,you should be okay now though..

Since a lot of current can pass through certain terminals, they need to be clean. Theres a slight chance that- that pin had dirt, was loose, or became corroded with the possible addition of moisture. Or a combination of those. Sometimes you will see connectors packed with a type of grease, to keep moisture out. End result is resistance, and where theres resistance and current you get heat, sometimes a lot...

Last edited:
Since a lot of current can pass through certain terminals, they need to be clean. Theres a slight chance that- that pin had dirt, was loose, or became corroded with the possible addition of moisture. Or a combination of those. Sometimes you will see connectors packed with a type of grease, to keep moisture out. End result is resistance, and where theres resistance and current you get heat, sometimes a lot...

I'm not quite sure about your information on the grease promoting resistance, if I'm understanding you correctly. Di-electric grease is recommended for electircal connections such as the boot over the terminal on a spark plug wire, etc. and I believe is for the purpose of locking out moisture as well as reducing exposure to other oxidizer promoting elements. I would recommend the use of this type of grease (di-electric) in all electrical connections on a motorcycle expressly for the reason of being subject (albeit at times unwanted) to moisture. Wish I knew more about the rectifier issues, brother, but I am certain of the greasy kid's stuff on the terminals. Hope that is at least some help. :beerchug:

('D' you da man! Way to go, org monster!)

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure about your information on the grease promoting resistance, if I'm understanding you correctly. Di-electric grease is recommended for electircal connections such as the boot over the terminal on a spark plug wire, etc. and I believe is for the purpose of locking out moisture as well as reducing exposure to other oxidizer promoting elements. I would recommend the use of this type of grease (di-electric) in all electrical connections on a motorcycle expressly for the reason of being subject (albeit at times unwanted) to moisture. Wish I knew more about the rectifier issues, brother, but I am certain of the greasy kid's stuff on the terminals. Hope that is at least some help. :beerchug:

('D' you da man! Way to go, org monster!)

Opps_ may have not have been clear. Dialectric grease is a good thing, I use it, at home and at work. Hard to say 'zackly what happened. I was just suggesting given normal performance how a connector could be reduced to what you see. Then again you always could have the suspected condition of an over current condition due to plain old semi conductor failure. And what I meant to say was "the end result OF resistance in the contacts is HEAT". I hope I am clear this time.

Last edited:
Back