1 piece race suits

apehog

Registered
Does anyone wear a 1 piece leather race suit while on the street? I can see that they would be alot of trouble just riding around town, mostly because of the lack of storage space, not to mention that riding around with a back hump looks poseresque unless you're on the track....but I'm curious about it as I'm thinking about making a large investment in an RS Taichi suit, and my actual track days will be limited. Thanks...

A small tank bag and enjoy the ride. The biggest challenge is taking the top off when you stop for a break.

i do a lot of the time. its snug but comfy and i feel more secure on the bike. i just pack whatever in the hump. and if i cared what i looked like i would have bought a harley:laugh:

I wear a 2 piece that always zipped together, and it has a hump on it, :laugh: Ride in it all the time, dont care what it looks like, because it inspires confidence. :thumbsup:

I always wear a 1 piece suit whenever I ride. I never take it all the way off, just unzip the top for air if I stop to eat. I wear the custom Syed in the summer - perforated, & I have a non-perfortated suit for winter. I don't commute, so riding for fun is the only riding I do on my bike. I wouldn't wear it if I was just riding in town the whole time.

I do lots of track days too.

Houston doesn't have the nice roads we have in Austin, this is 5 minutes from home. Come up for a visit.

9O4Y2872.jpg

Last edited:
I have both 1 & 2 pc suits, wear the 1 pc for shorter, "no major stops planned" rides. Most average day lunch/dinner rides I wear the 2 pc. I always zip it together so it'll do it's job in case the worst happens. My 1 pc, being an "off the rack" suit, doesn't fit exactly 100% perfect. Fine when I'm on the bike, but when I get off it has a tendency to start raising my voice tone a bit if I stand up too straight. Have to wear padded bicycle shorts to minimize this anomoly.
2 pc is just much more comfortable for general everyday use for me.

If you are gonna spend the money on it, you might as well get your money's worth. I plunked down some $$ for an A-stars 1 pc to have for the track, you bet I"m gonna wear it on the street...

I wouldn't hesitate to wear a one-piece on the street.

--Wag--

Thanks for all the replies....I'm feeling alot better about making the purchase!
At least I'll have my bases covered when I do hit the track, and with the streets of Houston being as mean as they are, the extra protection will make me feel better too...

Houston doesn't have the nice roads we have in Austin, this is 5 minutes from home. Come up for a visit.
I have been down one that goes from Burnet/Marble Falls to Cedar Park that has alot of turns and was fun. I cannot go down it now, bike will not lean enough. I am more of a straight line and top end guy.

I have been down one that goes from Burnet/Marble Falls to Cedar Park that has alot of turns and was fun. I cannot go down it now, bike will not lean enough. I am more of a straight line and top end guy.

That is 1431. It is a nice road w/ lots of big sweepers. It, like Lime Creek, is about 5 minutes away from home.

Take a look at Komodo Gear suits. They are great suit for the money.

Thx..I'll check the Komodo stuff too....The Taichi gear was highly rated at Sportbike Trackgear and they seem to be closing out on a particular style in the Japanese cowhide. Also, the features on the suit were a great value for the money...

It's a 2 peice Joe Rocket for me. As mentioned easier to deal with when u stop for lunch ...

Spring 2008 020b.jpg

I'm going with a two piece or a 1 piece to use only on the street. I only ride for recreation, too. It's not worth the risk to only wear a one piece at the tract.

I agree, Taichi may be the best suit money will buy off the shelf. We had one racer a couple years ago who crashed 17 times in one season in a Taichi suit and it was still wearable at season's end. You just can't beat that for performance. Then I have seen some suits that came apart at the seams on the first crash. I wear a Taichi suit as well for the track.

A suit vs two piece? The suit is better for crashing only because it can't seprate in the middle and give you rash on your belly button. However, if you buy good leathers in a two piece with a wrap around zipper, they hold up quite well too. I've never seen a crash with in a two piece that zips together where the suit separated at the midsection.

I prefer a two piece by far when riding on the street. I have pockets to put my cell phone, bike key, wallet, comb, etc. etc. and best of all, on a hot day I can pull the jacket off, throw it out on the grass and take a nap if I want. The suit is a pain in that department.

It's all a matter of preference and you can't go wrong either way. Taichi is a great choice either way?

Last edited:
I wear a 2 piece but I am looking for a 1 PC as they are better and have less chance of failing if you go down. Also like he mentioned we have great roads in Austin :thumbsup:

9O4Y2960.jpg

Back