1st Group ride Wow …..and now the rest of the story…..Thanks Scar

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Well after a nice long nights sleep, couple of aspirins and a lot of Absorbine Junior,
I can now reflect on the ride of a lifetime.

I am sure you saw Scar’s post about our ride on Sunday, and I just want to give you my side and thank all the ORG members who posted on my thread about doing a first time group ride. You were all spot on with the advice and it was most helpful to calm me down.

First, I must give you a little history that I learned about myself.
I have been on two wheels since I was 11 or 12 and have rode in LA for the past 20 years and thought I was I decent rider.
I was so wrong. Yeah I can ride fast and straight, split lanes, small wheelies and generally keep myself off the ground.

However, I learned quickly that I am nowhere near the rider I should and could be.
Doing the canyons is a completely new ball game folks and I sucked at it.
I had never really done that type of riding and I must say I truly fell in love with it.

Now it is time to start learning how to master this type of riding.
I am going to attend track days as often as I can to practice the body English and mind control it requires.

I have not had many regrets in this life but Sunday I found myself thinking how many years I wasted riding in the city. The country in the San Diego area was beautiful and would do it in a cage just to show my family.

Now for the props – Scar treated me with kid gloves and allowed me to stay in the back and he never left me wondering at all. He never made me feel as if I had to catch up; even when the wind kicked my fanny (wind is one thing that has always made me nervous). He signaled me about everything that was coming up (like a tricky turn) and all road hazards that could trip me up (like gravel and debris). He and the rest of the group were not only safe and courteous they are all top-notch riders.

Thanks also to Shoty for watching out for me and getting me in the photos.
I won’t soon forget that.
And to Jim, Craig, Greg, Vinnie, Tony, Jay who made me feel at home and welcome in their group.

I was not sure how well I was going to like riding with a group, as I have never done it, and I must say it is an enjoyable experience to say the least.
I will try to do more of these in the future.

Thanks Scar and Jay for the ride down the road to my parting place
Thanks to the riders in the group for folding my ego neatly, and placing it firmly in my back pocket where it should be.

Last note (I promise)
In my 35 years of riding, this was undoubtedly the most exciting, fun and by far the most educational ride I have ever done.

TOP THAT SCAR - PLEASE!
Thanks for the ear ORGSTERS.
Bubba

These are just some of the talent on the mountain.
Shoty going so fast he is just a blur:laugh:
And of course the man of the very moment - Scar

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4988.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

IMG_5021.JPG

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

Glad you had a good time Bubba, group riding is a great deal of fun, and you have a great group to ride with out there. Keep the pics coming! :beerchug:

Bubba, sounds like your hooked man :thumbsup: I know exactly what your talking about, before buying the Busa I had never riden a sport bike or riden on any group rides, what an exciting new experience, the bike, the rides & the great bunch of new folks you get to meet, also the adventure of seeing all these new places, just totally awesome! isn't it? Wait until you go on a large group ride, you will be attending the Stampede won't you? that should be a great event with some excellent rides.

Bubba: I don't know what to say...except 'thank you.'

I'm flattered and humbled. :beerchug:

Reiterating what I had offered in my ride thread: You're welcome here any time.

I'll be eager to see you progress into a canyon carving afficianado!!!

:laugh: sounds like the guys after their first "Bash" glad you rode within your limits and can love the sport instead of fearing it.. Now, Fall bash is coming up.. :)

Very cool, sounds like they are a great group to ride with, and sounds like you had a great time,Thanks for the pics, :thumbsup:

Man I wish I could ride with ya'll. Bubba, you probly would look like a pro if I rode with the group. Sounds like a fine group to ride with. We are flat landers down here so it's hard to find a twisty road and if you do, It don't last long. Nice pics and glad youall had a good time.:thumbsup:

Bubba, sounds like your hooked man :thumbsup: I know exactly what your talking about, before buying the Busa I had never riden a sport bike or riden on any group rides, what an exciting new experience, the bike, the rides & the great bunch of new folks you get to meet, also the adventure of seeing all these new places, just totally awesome! isn't it? Wait until you go on a large group ride, you will be attending the Stampede won't you? that should be a great event with some excellent rides.

You nailed it!
I too had only had street bikes and no real sports bikes.
Do you still have your V-Max?
I have wanted one of those since 1985 when a co-worker got one, he could not stop talking about it and it was a beautiful bike.

Scar - I would be honored to ride with your crew again and I will try to start as many fights with the wife as I can to Free up a little time.:laugh:

Mr. Bogus - I wish I could make the Bashes but my time is very limited and most of the Vacation time is spent in Alaska.
If I could I would certainly be at all the events.
By the way I read about your first Track Day and it seems you did awesome and really enjoyed yourself. I hope I fare as well.

Now can someone teach me how to include all the Quotes in one post?:laugh:

Thanks all
Bubba

Last edited:
I knew there had to be a ride Sunday ..after talkin to Scar sat nite... :whistle: he had that sound in his voice ( we are going for a ride tomorrow) ..
Bubba .. Scar is officially taking over for CharlesBusa ...as the ( tour/training/infoman ) ..of SoCal .. :laugh: ok , at least for the Sandiego area .. :bowdown:
listen to him , he knows what he is talking about ..as you have found out.. he wont push you unless he knows you're qualified :thumbsup: .. have fun down south ..lots of areas to investigate .. :beerchug:

"fricken starter"..:banghead:

I went to Parts Unlimited and they had one in stock for 165.00 and new for 335.00.
Did you ever find a better price?
Let me know maybe I can do something more.
And yes you are completely correct about Scar, he is good peeps and knows his stuff.
Bubba

PS I have a place in Crestline / Lake Gregory and will be making this trip often this summer.
I will PM you before I go and maybe we can hookup and you can teach me the other side of the mountains?
Sounds like fun to me!!!

Last edited:
Glad you had a good time Bubba, group riding is a great deal of fun, and you have a great group to ride with out there. Keep the pics coming! :beerchug:

You are right group riding is fun and I wish I could go across this great country of ours and ride with all the ORG members.
Bubba

shadetree57
and
macon454
Wish we could get together and ride sounds like you guys are a blast to ride with.
Bubba

+1 on that yellow busa!:thumbsup:

Hayabusa2005 and shawnski
That little yellow bus aint the bus I used to ride.:laugh:
He is a very talented rider and you can see that on Ricks photo site.
He is a very nice man also.
He got stung by a bee on our ride and only stopped for a second to get it off and then rode long and hard the rest of the day.

Good riders and great people.
Bubba

I'm ...still "lookin"...but, I've resolved myself to the point of ( I need a new starter ) .
as far as riding up here in the clean air of SoCal ..anytime you want to come up, and I'm not workin ..Hell yah I'll tour you around these here twisties ..lot's of rides to be had up here .. in another month the roads should be cleaned of most of the crushed Lava ( used for snow ) ..( hell its cheap and avalible ) .. they are already restripping the lines( easier for the ( CHP ) .. :whistle: to be able to know when you go over the yellow's ( citation time ) .. :rulez: ...... other than that, lots of fun riding up here .. leaning into the corners and getting smaked by off the world large bugs. ???

dude thats awesome...

Oh and ARIEL ATOM..:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I love those....

That is the best adult version of a go-kart I have ever seen.
I had to look twice at the back end just to see if it was a registered vehicle and the plate said UK ATOM so that now makes sense to me.
He came down the hill and opened it up at the straight on the bottom of Palomar and it was a little scary to say the least as he didnt even have a helmet on. The second guy was just as hot but he did have a bucket on.

Do you ride these? They look like fun!

Bubba.

Back