Need Luggage Advice

There are a lot of options. I think some folks here like the Cortech bags. Pashnit shows the RKA expandable bags on his site.

Chase Harper makes some pretty nice gear. Holds up very well. I have a Chase Harper magnetic tank bag and am very pleased with it.

Those bags on Craigslist look rather large to me. Go see them and see how they fit your bike. Look at the bottom of the bags and make sure they aren't resting on your exhaust pipes. If they meet your needs and look ok on your bike, make him an offer.

If you do go with soft saddlebags, I recommend you put some clear "abrasion" tape over the bulges in your tail section or your paint will get all scuffed up. Check ebay motors and search for "3M film"

I don't think they will work because there is no slope up in the back.. as in no room for the up sweep of the pipes..

I would pass.. Go with what works Cortech or Nelson Rigg..

Nelson Rigg is what I use.

I'm happy with my Nelson-Rigg set. Reasonably priced and lifetime warranty.

008.jpg

Nice, I have the smaller ones.. Wish I would have bought the larger ones like yours.. :bowdown:

OK, it's another luggage strand, I have to put my plug in for Ventura luggage!

P1000101.JPG

P1010481.JPG

Or, if you really need more carrying capacity........

P1010488.JPG

I'm happy with my Nelson-Rigg set. Reasonably priced and lifetime warranty.

LOL, for a second I thought you posted a pic of my bike! :rofl:

I have a 2005 gray LE busa with nearly the EXACT saddlebags and tail bag (my tail bag doesn't have the expansions on the sides)...and i stayed at the 2 Wheel Inn in September when I was at the gap.
:beerchug:
Here we were coming through the 1st time on our way TO the Inn:
img_0786.jpg

and here is min loaded down beyond belief with one of the other guy's luggage...the blue silver busa bit it on the dragon on Thursday of that week (got there on Monday) and we cut the trip a day short...took his stuff to him at the hospital...he still can't ride...messed up his pelvis and wrist pretty bad...
img_0930.jpg

needless to say, bike didnt handle too well with that much on the back...was akin to riding 2 up and was like a parachute over about 75 mph. :laugh:

anyway...nelson riggs, good stuff

$87 gets you some nice saddlebags on newenough - Nelson Rigg CL-1000 Standard Saddlebags :: New Enough Motorcycle Hard Parts

Last edited:
hey jefro, did you use your rain covers on the saddlebags? had to use mine on the way through chicago...lasted exactly 5 minutes before blowing off on the interstate...so that is my only knock on the nelson riggs stuff...cant tighten the rain covers and they are a bit small...they should be a bit bigger and come with a string you can sinch up.

I went with Ventura rack with two 51 liter bags. Nothing touches the paint and I remove it, store the bags and rack until the next long trip. I had a bagster tank bag with this set up and had plenty of room.

Packing tip.
rain covers are fine but a hassle to install and carry for a long trip when space is a premium.

I took advice from another rider with many years of long touring rides.

Pack your clothes and any thing you want to keep dry in small kitchen size trash can liners. Double them up and use the extra for dirty clothes.
Another thing, take clothes you are about to throw out. Socks, underwear, old t shirts, some of the stuff on the "gotta throw away soon" list.
Throw them away on the trip so you don't haul dirty worthless clothes back home. This makes room for the new souvenir t-shirts you may purchase on the trip.
Sounds a little radical to some but most men wear there undies far past their usable life span....:laugh: Must be a guy thing...
When you get home get new undies or if you run out buy new on the road.

One other thing on the soft luggage.
If it touches the paint, it will dull the finish.
Cover the painted areas with painters tape and take the rest of the roll with you in case you need to remove the luggage and tape for the photo shoot day.
Reapply the tape for the trip home and your paint will look like it did before you left.
If you want to spend the money, 3M makes a clear protective film.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Last edited:
had my luggage on to and from TN from Wisconsin...no dulling that I can see on the clearcoat. of course i had a double coat of fresh meguiars NXT wax applied right before leaving and cleaned it daily with a detailer/wax spray when on the trip.

The easiest way to purchase the 3m clear film is to go to any Chevy or GMC dealership. Go to parts and buy a 2' x 2' sheet for about 6 bucks. They use this stuff to keep the paint from scratching when they mount mudflaps that wrap over the fender edge like on the newer trucks.

or

You could buy a role of blue painters tape for about 4 bucks. Either way the tail needs protected or you'll get a fade on the paint. Wardie

I also have the VENTURA pack for my 2008.VENTURA is very good stuff .
This year i plan to get a THIRD WHEEL TRAILER for touring.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

post-77-12489-rack.jpg

ventura_003.jpg

HAYABUSA%20TRAILERS.jpg

GM_grey%2520Busa.jpg

hey jefro, did you use your rain covers on the saddlebags? had to use mine on the way through chicago...lasted exactly 5 minutes before blowing off on the interstate...so that is my only knock on the nelson riggs stuff...cant tighten the rain covers and they are a bit small...they should be a bit bigger and come with a string you can sinch up.

Yeah, I ran through about 100 miles worth of rain in Kentucky on my way back from the Dragon and they worked great. They are a tight fit and kind of a pain to get on all the way but they didn't move a bit. Maybe you didn't have them on all the way? Call Nelson-Rigg and I'm sure they'll send you a new set. I've heard their customer service is excellent.

Back