Autocom Installed and ready for the bash

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Not too bad to install. A lot of cables that needed to be dealt with. I can now listen to music (XM Radio, IPOD, Flash Media) talk on the phone using my blackberry with all the controls on my ZUMO 550 and talk bike to bike with FRS or GMRS.

All the luxuries, if the phone rings then the radio goes off and when the call is over the music comes back up... Lots of good stuff like that. I get weather updates and conditions wherever I am with the XM interface to the ZUMO. I can look ahead and see the rain or weather anywhere in the US. I like it so far.

audio.jpg

audio2.jpg

audio3.jpg

audio.jpg

audio2.jpg

audio3.jpg

Not too bad to install. A lot of cables that needed to be dealt with. I can now listen to music (XM Radio, IPOD, Flash Media) talk on the phone using my blackberry with all the controls on my ZUMO 550 and talk bike to bike with FRS or GMRS.

All the luxuries, if the phone rings then the radio goes off and when the call is over the music comes back up... Lots of good stuff like that. I get weather updates and conditions wherever I am with the XM interface to the ZUMO. I can look ahead and see the rain or weather anywhere in the US. I like it so far.

You got any more pics of info on how the speakers mount in your helmet and stuff...

This is a sweet sounding set-up...

I have a BB as well and know it's sterio BT capable but haven't been able to find a receiver that is small enough to fit in my helmet...

Tell me more. I've got a Zumo, iPhone, but no comms. What's in your helmet, and how do you connnect to it (BT or a wire)...?

Phone BT to Zumo. Zumo BT (for phone) to Autocom - this allows the Zumo to control the phone. Cable from Zumo to Autocom for stereo music.

In the helmet are two speakers and a mic. There is a single cable from the helmet to the Autocom.

FRS can live in the hump. Remote PTT button mounted on left grip.

See this thread for pics of my setup: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...s/94189-pics-some-recent-upgrades-violet.html

Last edited:
What do you use for earplugs? and how does it sound in your helmet? Gonna PM You.

I'll answer your PM here - others may benefit, too ;)

Really enjoyed your autocom thread. Some questions:

1. Which autocom version? They new one wants to use VOX, but I can see that would be a pain in the ass. So where did you get the PTT switch?
I am in the process of upgrading to the Super Pro AVi from the Active Plus. The PTT switch is available from Autocom USA or any of their dealers: Privacy/PTT Switch - Autocom America I actually found a used one on eBay.

I have a zumo and iPhone. Right now I BT the Iphone, and wear earbuds to the Zumo. But I don't have comms I can just hear if the phone rings. Sounds like I need:

Autocom (which model?)
PTT Switch (where?)
FRS Radio (could you make a suggestion here?)
Fuse block? (recommendation?)(right now I've just wired all directly to battery, but looks like better idea would be to only wire block direct, and wire everthing else to fuse block.
The Autocom model will depend on what you want to do with it; from what I hear you say, you could get by with either the Active Plus or the Super Pro AVi. I have a Motorola GMRS/FRS radio for Bike-to-Bike comms. I would really like to get a Kenwood FreeTalk, but they are MUCH pricier. LOL So far, the Motorola serves me just fine. I just bought the appropriate cable for it so the PTT works...and works great! I hard-wired the radio into the bike's power so I don't need to worry about batteries or charging...

I picked up my fuse block and relay at my local Advance Auto Parts. Used the relay to switch the power to the fuse block...that way everything comes on and off with the key.

I ride with earplugs, so how is sound quality thru those speakers with earplugs in? My Zumo is crystal clear in my ER6 earplugs and I don't have to turn it up very loud (tight seal).
The speakers that come with the Autocom headset are great for voice comms, but lack the range for decent audio (music). Fortunately, Autocom sells a cable that allows earbuds to be plugged in and used for audio listening. I have that cable and when I'm on a long ride, I'll put my Bose ear buds in and enjoy the music! Otherwise, if I'm just heading to work, etc. I just use the ones in the helmet.

Thanks for the info! Could see how being able to communicate with a riding group would do wonders. Also might want second set for pillon....
No problem! Yep - having the built-in rider to passenger comms is nice! My son and I use it all the time when he's with me on rides. He and I can chat...and he can listen to the music, too! When we're listening to the music, when we start talking, the music fades out a bit so we can talk...then automatically fades back up when we're done. Very nice!

Let me know if you have other questions!

Nice set up, but where did you buy the Zumo from?

I almost hit the floor when i saw the price!

Back