Rolled my Own... First AR15 build... Good Fun, learned a lot.

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
First AR build, went well and was a good time. Nothing like Rolling your own. :beerchug:

So Being literal, I took the hint from ARFCOM's guide got out the printer paper, and tape... Worked great in keeping track of parts, and positively identifying them.
IMG_5012.jpg

Practicing Safe build... I got started, just following the guide, line by line.
IMG_5013.jpg

LUNCH PIC

Gyro from Time Out, Jones Crushed Melon Soda.... MMMmmMmmmmm
IMG_5016.jpg

Just about there, I did find that the rear Takedown spring wants to FOLD under the Back plate if you let it, otherwise GTG.
IMG_5017.jpg

And... DONE.
IMG_5032-2.jpg

Gotta Have a sense of humor. Especially nowadays, if more of us enthusiasts that aren't whack jobs amped up on Rush Limblah can simply demonstrate that this really is a hobby, and that it's for fun by and large, and that we aren't scary nut jobs at all. Maybe more and more of the Anti gun crowd will stop being so afraid and so reactionary, and actually come shooting with us. Certainly these CAN be dangerous, but far more people have been killed this year by motorcycles than by "Assault Weapons".
IMG_5036-1-1.jpg

Really pleased with the VLTOR EMOD Stock, feels great, sized just about perfect.
IMG_5040.jpg

I had a blast, looking forward to building the next one.
This one is destined for a Spike's .22 upper, Next will be something long and accurate, heavy barrel, bi-pod, fixed stock, etc...

Took about 2 hours total build time, not counting set-up or lunch.

Good job...ARs are pretty simple and straight forward to build. Have you seen the new Bushmaster/Magpul called the Bushmaster ACR? Wow... that is a nice gun!

Nice! I'm wanting to order a dedicated Spikes upper for mine as well.

You are a bit closer than I am.

Here are my two Spike's lowers

spikes.gif

That is something that I have been wanting to do for several years now. Way to give me the bug to try it! Mind if I ask where you got the lower at? Finding them local has been my biggest problem. :thumbsup:

Mind if I ask where you got the lower at? Finding them local has been my biggest problem. :thumbsup:

They are out there, but they have gone from the 125-150 range to 175-225. What are you looking for? There are many FFL dealers that will accept your shipment and transfer it for you. Pretty much buying a complete gun is cheaper than building one, if you can find what you want. But I kind of like picking and choosing select parts.

Long term, I plan on building three uppers for one of mine.
10.5" 223/556
5.5" 22 Spikes Dedicated.
10" 300 Whisper

They should look about like this one with different optics and all black furniture.

IMG_0285.jpg

They are out there, but they have gone from the 125-150 range to 175-225. What are you looking for? There are many FFL dealers that will accept your shipment and transfer it for you. Pretty much buying a complete gun is cheaper than building one, if you can find what you want. But I kind of like picking and choosing select parts.

I haven't decided on which lower to go with yet, probably should decide which way to go one of these days! I need to find a FFL dealer to work with around here and get started. Building one works better for me as I can buy parts a little at a time so the wife doesn't catch on to how much it cost when I am done! :whistle:

Back