I need Help

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
This undertail thing is a pain

Exactly how much of the stock undertail and tailsection do I need to cut out.

Ive done what I think is alot of cutting but from what Im hearing I need to cut alot more. Please look at these pics, Mainly the last couple and tell me what you think.

My concern is how can I keep cutting and leave enough strength to support the last push pin hole.

==========================================================

undertail 001.jpg

undertail 002.jpg

undertail 003.jpg

undertail 004.jpg

undertail 005.jpg

undertail 008.jpg

undertail 009.jpg

Right behind the bolt that holds the top of the factory undertail/fender, the farthest one back,cut straight down from there. then follow the contour of the lower subframe rail to cut the old mounts away from the sides until you meet your down cut, that should be about an inch back from where the down slope starts. Right behind that top mount bolt is two 90 degree corners-start your down cut there, refer to the last pic

Last edited:
The old mounts for all the push pins are cut away, your new undertail will mount right to the upper tail section. You'll only be cutting the flat black unpainted section. you don't have to modify the painted parts on the tail in any way

Last edited:
The old mounts for all the push pins are cut away, your new undertail will mount right to the upper tail section. You'll only be cutting the flat black unpainted section. you don't have to modify the painted parts on the tail in any way

Now that helps me 200% I was looking at it trying to save those holes

Also, if you can still, cut the plug-ins off your old turn signals and splice them on the ends of the new undertail wires so you can just unplug it later, do the same for the tail/stop wires,alot easier remove or service:thumbsup:

Cut above that line so your also removing the outer lip of the fender well, you have to be careful of the plastic strap ties that hold the wires but push that lip down and cut about an 1/8th of an inch below the frame rail on the sides

Does this look about right

Liking the drawings

===================================================================

undertail 012.jpg

exactly it..I wish i would have known would have traded you one already done...bike looks great...

mine ended up looking like this, i don't know if you will have to go this far :beerchug:

IMG_0753 (Large).jpg

IMG_0760 (Large).jpg

After the cut

So without putting it all back together how do you know if you have cut off enough

===================================================================

undertail 013.jpg

undertail 014.jpg

undertail 015.jpg

it looks like i had to go up a little higher than you have gone to get mine on but you can't really tell if yours will fit or not without trying it :beerchug:

Look's like I missed the the good stuff had a power outage.
What did you use to cut that? Hope nothing other than a utility or box blade.
Those will cut that plastic off in about two minutes.
To little to late I guess.:laugh:

Back