Video camera tank mount

busastalker05

Registered
ok im working on a prototype* tank mount, im on my second one try be cause the first one is a bit too heavy, all steel 1/2" sq stock, 3/16 base, vibrates really bad, the second one is all 1/8 inch material, i think i may need to go smaller like 14 ga or so, this one was mig welding together today at work, i did not have time to TIG it, i just use a cutting **** to do this one, i would like honest opinions, i want to have it cut out with a laser cutter at a company we work with so it wont be so rough looking, and under the front lip, i will prolly have to put a pad of some sort, i will post the pic of it painted when it dries, alos i need or will slot the holes on the tank side , and slot the one on the upper end for varying cameras

100_1853.jpg

100_1854.jpg

100_1855.jpg

100_1856.jpg

100_1857.jpg

100_1859.jpg

100_1860.jpg

here it is with a quick gloss black paint job,, i would like to try and make a few of them and see how they sell, this is why i want your opinions, no one knows best like you guys

100_1861.jpg

100_1862.jpg

100_1863.jpg

100_1864.jpg

100_1866.jpg

Last edited:
The design looks pretty good. Some of the vibration might be fixed if you use more mounting holes. I'd say at least go to the next one on each side and it would probably help a lot. Also, maybe have the arm mount to the edges of the camera base so you could add more mounting options. I know on my camera the stand mount is directly in the center of the camera, so it would be pretty far off to the side if using that mount. Just some ideas. I like what you've got so far, though.

looks great, maybe a bit over engineered, the ones ive seen are flat stock, with 2 bends to get the camera mount up in the air, any idea about possible price?

Looks great.:thumbsup:

Just one suggestion.. make it out of aluminum. It'll be way lighter, or you can make it sturdier with the same (though probably still less) weight, which could be a big selling point. If you have access to a laser cutter you surely have an AC Tig with a hi freq on it there somewhere.

ok yea i will keep all that in my in mind,, that is where my camera mounts, and i want it to be universal, ill see what i can come up with.... also all the mounts that i have seen are really expensive, thats why im making it, what would be a good price, less than 50????

i do have access to all welding machines, :laugh:, and all aluminum products as well, just dont have the cnc equipment,, boss is too cheap but i can surely have them cut out

ok yea i will keep all that in my in mind,, that is where my camera mounts, and i want it to be universal, ill see what i can come up with.... also all the mounts that i have seen are really expensive, thats why im making it, what would be a good price, less than 50????

Under 50 sounds reasonable. Flea bay has em starting at $35, but I'd buy your's over one of them, simply for the looks. I've also seen some up around 160, so I think 50 and below would be just fine.

Looked at a lot of mounts similar to that - ended up using a Ram Stem mount - quick to take off and doesn't interfere with fueling or the tank bag (bonus is my Nuvi 500 uses the same mount and takes 5 secs to switch out). Vibration is non-existent in my vids but I've seen a lot of the type you're working on being sold. There's money to be made if you get a solid product going! :thumbsup: You might want to consider making the arm adjustable (up/down) to make it more universal for different bikes/windscreens.

Last edited:
I agree with GMMECH07,...I'd use an extra set of holes. Plus, to cut down even further on vibration, maybe some rubber grommets/washers...

trying to figure out quick mounting set up maybe something besides screws magnets??? not too sure this doesnt bother gas lid, but this is just trial piece to get it right so i can get all necessary info :bowdown:

i would like to have i finally one ready in at least the next month or two,, time is tight between work school and a house that needs constant work!!!! i want it done sooner than that.

I agree with jds on the adjustment. Maybe make it a 2 piece deal with a slot running the length of the arm with the bolts that have squares right between the head and threads (can't remember what they're called) and a washer and wing nut on the other side. I'm not sure magnets are a good idea for mounting, unless you can find some hellastrong magnets. Or you could make it an option, if you found a way to make it work. You've got a good idea goin, and some more bein posted in this thread. If this thing goes into mass production those who's ideas you used get discounts, right?:laugh::whistle::poke:

I don't know if I'd care to have it sticking so far forward from the mounting point, especially depending on how heavy your camera is. Think of it this way, it's a lever, and all the weight is on those two mounting pins in your ALUMIUNUM gas tank....too much weight, and a few bounces, and you could bend your tank....IMHO. The tank mounts i've seen are pretty much directly vertical of the bolts, so no lever....

Good luck! I'm sharing my RAM mount when I put it up there, but I like my camera low to the ground....

My tank camera mount worked very nicely, but I've recently moved the platform to the passenger peg on the bike. I've also invested in a GoPro and like the many mounting options! Your mount sounds like a great idea, +1 on making it adjustable and using rubber washers!!:thumbsup::beerchug:

009.jpg

006.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Back