GI Pro Installation

geecare

Registered
Much debate has been made toward the optimal placement of the unit, I say, its pretty much personal preference. I choose this position, due to the accessibility to the mode switch on the bottom of the unit. For those that would like to turn the TRE function off, this may be the way to go. Anyways, here it is:

I removed the wind screen and the gauges. Then taped the top and the glass portions of the gauges to protect from scratches during this process. (pic 1)

With access, I threaded the wiring harness through an opening to the far left of the gauge frame in the back, it was big enough to squeeze the white plugs through without taking them off. Then pull the wire slack and slide to the middle of the gauge position. (pic 2)

Then make your way down to the OEM GPS connector under the gas tank, you will have to lift tank up for this and plug it in. (pic 3-4) Run the power wire to the pos. battery terminal.

Now prepare the mount bracket. Scroll down......

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

Went to Home Depot and picked up a few precut bracing brackets and choose the best for my needs. (pic 5) I choose the long piece and cut it down, this allowed me the ability to adjust it back and forth as needed. Place the unit on top of the bracket, approx. ¾ upon it and mark a line on the bracket and bend to 90 degrees. With a dremmel tool, I cut, grinded and filed until a perfect bracket was fabricated. Two holes were made for a zip tie at the base of the bend, then painted to match the fairing.
I placed a piece of tape on the plastic deck space and marked a position for a pilot hole for an allen head fastner. Make sure you are down enough in order to clear the frame structure under the plastic deck.

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

Once secured, black silicone was used to fasten the unit to the mount. I taped it into position and left it to dry.

Once dry, put it all back together and enjoy.

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

I thought fabricating and tinkering all hours of the night was what we look forward to? Its our time to relax and meditate in a matter of speaking. But if you need some help, I suppose I still got some extra material laying around.

Back