New to busa & forum drops his stealth!

Hi to all fellow busa owners.  I've been reading this excellent forum for about six weeks and have had about three weeks on my new limited edition black (stealth) busa.  Sorry but I've been too busy to write uptill now.  I appear to be in the minority and in the UK...  If anyone knows where Warwickshire is thats where I am!  I know how everyone wants pictures and thats what has taken me soo long to do...  Here is my busa (on its undropped side!)

<!--EDIT|STEVEonSTEALTHinUK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089231727 -->

The_good_side.jpg

Unfortunately upon attempting to turn around within a t-juncton I didn't give it enough revs and before I knew it it went down on its right side! The air was blue! I managed to pick it up but its sustained some damage... The rh fairing, front nose and mudguard will need respraying. It also scuffed the logo so I will need a new one of those as well! + the exhaust, mirror & front brake lever of cause! I think bobbins is the way to go. Reading other posts I think they would have mininised the paintwork damage to just the side rather than side, top and mudguard... Pictures of damage attached. Anyone know of a source for crash bobbins in the UK?

Damage_to_side.jpg

Here is the damage to the mirror... again any advise on patch ups?  The mudguard went down but its only minor & I've not got any photo's...

<!--EDIT|STEVEonSTEALTHinUK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089232065 -->

Close_up_of_mirror.jpg

Thought I'd give a bit of background about myself... I passed my motorcycle test about 10 years ago and went from a Honda CB500 to Kwack ZX6R and then passed my advanced motorcycling test (IAM) on an R1. I then 'lost the bug' for biking for 5 years and had no intention of going back to it... until last summer when I started looking at bikes again and then this spring when I bought a 600 Bandit. After a couple of months I decided I wanted a bigger bike again and started my quest to find the bike I really wanted. After nearly buying a busa when I bought the R1 the busa was definately top of the list! & after test riding one & stretching my arms that was it I had to have one... After agonising with the incompatibility of wanting the fastest thing on wheels with having a 18 month old son and another one on the way for some weeks I bought one. In the three weeks I've had it I've done 1000 miles and am extremely happy with her.... Although I'm not with myself for dropping the only bike I've owned! Anyway enough of my ramblings... any advice on fixing my bike and adding bobbins would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance... Steve

WELCOME STEVE
nice bike (on the undropped side)
it sucks I did the same thing the 3rd time I took it
I just put gas in and was rushing out the gas station to get back on the road and notice my boot laces were untied ,I quickly get of her but didn't put the kickstand carefully. While I was kneeing next to her, she fell on me the on the ashpalt! Damn!
Goog luck and enjoy
biggrin.gif

Polish the stock cans, or if you want to black it all of the way out, powder coat the cans and when you have the side repainted have the mirrors painted to match.

well what the heck you waitin for, drop it on the other side... welcome to the board , you will find alot of nice people here and some nitwits, me being one of the latter.. They are really smart and the others smartasses, there is a ton of info here and you will never read it all. again, welcome and ride safe...

as for fixing your lil miscalculation, I am a proponent of just buying new stuff but dont know your budget. The cans are easy to grind and then polish the other stuff you can do the body work yourself with alot of sand paper, and then if your able, small compressor and paint gun... depending on your functional literacy when it comes to those kinds of things...

Yeah, welcome to the board! I'd be more inclinded to buy new stuff, but the budget can control that.

I'd love to be able to buy the new stuff but I've had a quote from the dealer and it is £1000 which is too much for me to folk out at the moment... After just paying £8500 for a new bike and £1000 for insurance (no no claims discount as had 5 year break from biking) I just can't run to this... I think claiming on the insurance would just bump up premiums for next year and the following 4 years... (as u have to declare claims for 5 years I think)... Got a 'Bike medic' guy coming tonight to tell me what he can do and give me a quote. I think buying all new stuff is a bit lavish anyway. I've been told it should spray up like new. I must admit I'm not too handy on the do it yourself front so I'll probably get a pro in to fix it. I hope I can find some good crash bobbins that he can fit too...

I hear what you are saying and know how it is! Let us know how it goes and what you decide to do!

don't feel bad i dropped a brand new yammie 600 a few years ago less than an hour after getting it home
sad.gif
$1100 worth of damage, three weeks to get parts, and about a month to heal.. Stuff happens...and then you ride again
biggrin.gif

I've just had a quote for £210 cash to repair all the damage... that is respray the paintwork & mirror & patch up the exhaust so you will have to look hard to see evidence that its been dropped. The guy I've got this quote off is recommended by the dealer that I bought my bike off and makes his living from repairing damaged bikes that people drop. So I'm confident that he will do a good job! I'll let you know when I get it done which will be a month or so away.

Steve,
I used to live in Brackley Northamptonshire from 1997-2000 while stationed at RAF Croughton. You have some fantastic roads to enjoy that bike on, lots of fun quick switchbacks. Don't feel bad about the laydown. I did the same on the 29th day of owning my Black Purple 04. Going into an unmarked, un-illuminated hairpin on an unfamiliar slippery road at night. Talk about the worst conditions, right? Luckily my damage was less visible than yours with the right lower fairing bearing most of it as well as similar scrubbing on the right side can.
Now I don't feel so bad about laying mine down.
Ivan aka Projekt

Replace with new if able. Sorry about the mishap. I had a slow speed mishap myself about 2 months ago and sustained similar damage. Got it back a week and a half ago with new parts and I couldn't be happier. Good luck.

Back