Catching the 1000s

Hit Man

Registered
Lately I have noticed the 1ks almost always beat the busas in every class. In some cases the busa would get the jump, but the harder luanching 1ks can still run them down.I think the torque,clutch setup, and gearing makes the busa such a beast off the line that the riders end up fighting the bike. My Stage 1 turbo busa has the chutch mod, 16 tooth sprocket, and 6" over arm, and at 4500 rpms or 7500 rpms it still feels like I'm riding a bull. I have played with the suspension from other racers input, but a smooth progressive launch is almost impossible. When I ride 1ks with much less power they seem so weak but move out much easier. As busa riders we need to come up something other than a lockup to solve the problem and reclaim the title. What is it like to use a clutch cushion.

Not sure where you are racing but the Busa launches harder and very few liter bikes can out quarter mile them... I have watched too many turbo bikes ridden so poorly that they do not even run in the 9's when they should be closer to the 8's

most of what you are talking about sounds mostly like poor rider skills.. and what is a "clutch cushion" never heard of it..

Cluch cushions are suppose to allow the clutch to slip for a fraction of a second on launch. Brocks website sells them. I race mostly on the east coast (I'm from jacksonville FL), but I work all over the country and I try to attend local dragstrips to practice. The liter bikes own the eighth and the quarter at most places I've been lately. If you need to see a good example look at aAMA Pro Star or MIROCK results. Even the teacher rickey gadson is complaining about liter bike advantages.

Cluch cushions are suppose to allow the clutch to slip for a fraction of a second on launch. Brocks website sells them. I race mostly on the east coast (I'm from jacksonville FL), but I work all over the country and I try to attend local dragstrips to practice. The liter bikes own the eighth and the quarter at most places I've been lately. If you need to see a good example look at aAMA Pro Star or MIROCK results. Even the teacher rickey gadson is complaining about liter bike advantages.

Rickey Gadson is complaining about the Playthings Racing 1000 simply because of the weight advantage it has in the class and the fact it has everyone covered by over 3 tenths! As far as a busa leaving properly....My bike with a Brock's Clutch Cushion, Brock's Springs, and Brock's One Piece Mod with a OEM Clutch Pack pulls CONSISTENT 1.35-1.40 60fts @ 63" wheelbase. Busa's are harder to ride in respect, but at the same time, they make the power to outrun a 1k with a proper rider.

The Fastest Stock Motor Street Trim Turbo Busa- Video

With all due respect, I have watched maybe 2000 passes this last season and the "best" liter bike riders can "keep up" with the busa's.. The stock literbike technically has a power/weight advantage but the fact is they are very hard to ride in the first 100ft.. they loose between 2 and 5 bikes in that time..

Now eliminate the launch? the liter bike is a busa killer until you cross the 160 mph mark.. (not realistic in the 1/4) I would like to buy a liter bike but the riding position and my old azz dont mix well... but for around town? I am thinking an R1 would be fun..

Rickey Gadson is complaining about the Playthings Racing 1000 simply because of the weight advantage it has in the class and the fact it has everyone covered by over 3 tenths! As far as a busa leaving properly....My bike with a Brock's Clutch Cushion, Brock's Springs, and Brock's One Piece Mod with a OEM Clutch Pack pulls CONSISTENT 1.35-1.40 60fts @ 63" wheelbase. Busa's are harder to ride in respect, but at the same time, they make the power to outrun a 1k with a proper rider.

The Fastest Stock Motor Street Trim Turbo Busa- Video

Freaking wicked video well except for the music if that's what you wanna call it.. I would rather just listen to the bike itself.. :bowdown:

Sick bike. I'm 6'6" 290lbs and my 04 busa has a hahn stage 1 turbo with ape valve springs and a spacer plate. The 1st stage is 7.5 #s 2nd stage 14#s with a Chris Jones tune. My last high powered bike was a built gsxr 1100 with a 50 shot. It was alot easier to launch than this buusa. The power seemed smoother. The busa has a lower powerband that feels jerky when combined with the stock clutch. I have the mod and hd clutch springs , but I was wondering if the cushion was the missing ingredient in my setup.How big of a difference is it launching with a cushion?

Apparently the cushion is the hot ticket. I just bought a cushion kit for my Gen II to hopefully make the 60 fts more consistent. They are all over the place, from 1.43 to 1.49. Hard to bracket race with that much inconsistency. The Gen I cushion kit will work for Gen II bikes IF you purchase Gen I studs.

Thanks for the input because I can't find anything written on back to back test results to compare the 60 fts. mod for mod with the same skill riders the gen I busas should smoke the 1000s "with a smooth launch".

I went from a stretched 05 r1 to an 08 busa. Maybe its me but with proper riders the busa has come out on top 9 out of 10 times. Ive had a few stretched 1ks be within a few lengths behind at the 330 but after that it seems to just keep pulling with noticeable differences at the 1/8 and 1/4.

The zx10 and 05 and newer gsxr1000 are the main bikes I was refering to.The new busa mod for mod is way faster than the gen I busa. I read an article last year stating that the 08 busa was designed to become the flagship bike for suzuki again. The updates came the 1000.
I will get a cushion to try for next season.

I raced all year last summer and never had a 1000 even come close. I ride a stock 08 with a yosh and 7 inch stretch. Oh yes an auto air shift. I weigh 220 naked and run 9.51 at 145.

DSC_0074.jpg

I've seen 08 busas with bolt-on parts run as fast as some 1397s. I have seen several stretched 1000s run 9.50s or better. The last test and tune I attended I raced a 07 gixxer that ran 5.82 with a 8 inch arm and bolt on parts. I got a turbo as an equalizer (I'm an ex-football player so I'm a little large) , but I still think there is alot of et left in the clutch setup. The south is full of fast street bikes and grudge racers with stuff like 9 sec. 600s so competition is stiff.

I was at MIR for the arm drop pinks races and watched a 08 Busa kill everybody until the 07 gsxr1000 killed him 5 out of 7 times... The last race the 1000 gave the busa 5 bike lenths and won...! No lie! The guy behind me lost all his money betting on the Busa! I was just a shocked as him...! I know the busa had a turbo!
This not the arm drop race but it's the dude who won...

Last edited by a moderator:
I raced all year last summer and never had a 1000 even come close. I ride a stock 08 with a yosh and 7 inch stretch. Oh yes an auto air shift. I weigh 220 naked and run 9.51 at 145.

I think this 1 would prob come close.:whistle:
carbon fiber wheels on it look sweet.
o0cxfr.jpg

2d6u009.jpg

1000s are the grudge racers money makers.Boosta1395 would go 0 for 10 against 1000s on the east coast.Money is always on the underdog.

Back