Help!

Lalo86

Registered
I went down a couple of months ago and now im putting my bike back together...heres the problem, bike went down on the left side and took most of the hit right where the main middle bolt goes, where u would normally place the frame sliders(note to self, get frame sliders this time) the bolt is bent and wont come out...sorry for the bad pics, cell phone camera...the bolt is now stripped from me using the hex keys to get it out...since the fairing is screwed up anyway, wouldnt it be easier if just broke the fairing off on that part, the other bolts are out...i think it would make it easier to get to...suggestions please:please:

005.jpg

008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I forget the name, but there's a bit that can be purchased to drill into the screw then reverse it out! I'll look in the tool box when I get home if nobody hasn't chimed in by then! O' bought it at Loews!

If you can't get an easy out, and if you have a dremel tool, try and grind a slot in the bolt so you can use a flat screwdriver blade (get a flat blade tip that will fit in a socket and use a ratchet).
From the look of the damage, the bolt probably isn't that bent and this method may work for you.

easy out will do it

i stripped mine once and didnt have an easy out on hand nor the patience to wait until i got it out of my work truck so i just drilled out the center of the screw like you would with an easy out and lightly hammered a small allen wrench in there and it backed right out

I felt luck was a bigger part then skill was with that one:laugh:

Last edited:
If you can't get an easy out, and if you have a dremel tool, try and grind a slot in the bolt so you can use a flat screwdriver blade (get a flat blade tip that will fit in a socket and use a ratchet).
From the look of the damage, the bolt probably isn't that bent and this method may work for you.

I like this idea better:thumbsup:

I had nearly the same situation on my 2001 GSXR 1000. Using a cutting wheel with the Dremel tool to cut a standard slot worked well for me. The illustration above is right on. Good luck with your repairs.

Last edited:

You could try this technique and succeed or the following:

Buy a couple of extra Hex keys in that size or slightly larger, maybe SAE instead of metric.. Jam the larger Hex key into the bolt and get a hammer to see if can bend the thing back a bit by tapping the shaft.
You may be able to sell the rashed fairing if you don't do any more damage.

I was in exacly your situation, and used this screw extractor kit to get it out.

Let it soak with WD40 for a few min right before extracting, and proceed very carefully. My screw was bent a bit inside and was not coming out easily.

Last edited:
Back